Thoughts on generator replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansrr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Little Wing
Vessel Make
Camano 31
My 3.5KW diesel generator died last year and I’m debating on whether to replace it. My primary use was to run AC underway and at anchor when it was located on the Chesapeake Bay. Now the boat is in the Thousand Islands and I’m planning to make an extended cruise up the Trent Severn to Georgian Bay, north channel: Lots of anchoring for sure.
This is probably my last adventure for this boat and will most likely sell it after this trip. My question is whether it’s worth it to make a $10,000 investment for this one season. How much of this could be realistically be recouped when I sell? And how important is a generator that area? I have 4 house batteries and an inverter which has worked out well so far but this trip will likely be mostly on the hook. Thanks for any opinions.

What kind of alternator do you have on your propulsion engine? If it is an external regulated, high output type, like a Balmar you should be fine in keeping your batteries mostly charged if you only anchor for a few nights and then cruise for several hours to the next anchorage. Add a few hundred watts of solar panels to top off the batteries.

You shouldn’t need the A/C (much) in that area.

Even if you have to add the alternator and solar, you should be able to do it for a couple of grand.

David

Thanks. The engine is a Volvo D4. I’ll check out the alternator and see if I can determine if it is sufficient. I’ll also do some research on solar.

my 4kw inboard diesel generator died 3+ years ago. At the time I also have a Honda EU2200 and I have just been using that and haven't even tried to fix the diesel generator (again!)

The only issue is you can not run as many things at once, you need to have more gas on hand, and you probably will need a soft start kit for 16k btu air conditioner and at least a hard start capacitor ($20) for a smaller one.

I have liked my Honda better than the diesel generator, it is way less expensive, portable, quieter, and uses less fuel.

100 watt solar panels are about $100 each on Amazon. You would also need a controller such as Renogy’s 20A Rover MPPT, also from Amazon for $90. Add $50-100 for cable and connectors and you could do it for well under $500.

I doubt if your Volvo alternator is externally regulated much less high output. Balmar alternator/regulator packages run about $1,200 on Amazon.

David

my 4kw inboard diesel generator died 3+ years ago. At the time I also have a Honda EU2200 and I have just been using that and haven't even tried to fix the diesel generator (again!)

The only issue is you can not run as many things at once, you need to have more gas on hand, and you probably will need a soft start kit for 16k btu air conditioner and at least a hard start capacitor ($20) for a smaller one.

I have liked my Honda better than the diesel generator, it is way less expensive, portable, quieter, and uses less fuel.

I understand that the Honda has a 30amp receptacle but that it is only to connect to a second generator. I assume that you can also connect a shore power cable to it as well?

100 watt solar panels are about $100 each on Amazon. You would also need a controller such as Renogy’s 20A Rover MPPT, also from Amazon for $90. Add $50-100 for cable and connectors and you could do it for well under $500.

I doubt if your Volvo alternator is externally regulated much less high output. Balmar alternator/regulator packages run about $1,200 on Amazon.

David

Thanks, I’ll check that out

There were times on the TSW that we were very happy to run the genset so we had A/C. A lot of the locks have docks to tie up. Some have power and some don’t. Some only have 15 amp power. Then there are times the bugs are bad and running the A/C is wonderful.

I understand that the Honda has a 30amp receptacle but that it is only to connect to a second generator. I assume that you can also connect a shore power cable to it as well?

The companion unit has a 30A plug. I have the regular unit and just just one the 15a 3-prong plug adapter cords to connect it to a 15o shore power cord and to the boat.

Also if going this route be aware the Honda has a floating ground and will light a reverse polarity light. The fix is to make up a plug with the ground and common connected. A google search will tell you all you need (on my boat the panel SP will trip otherwise)

There were times on the TSW that we were very happy to run the genset so we had A/C. A lot of the locks have docks to tie up. Some have power and some don’t. Some only have 15 amp power. Then there are times the bugs are bad and running the A/C is wonderful.

Thanks

Last summer we were cruising on Lake Huron. In Tawas there was a hatch of fishflies. And when we got to Rogers City there was a hatch of tiny black bugs. They turned the decks black. Without A/C it would have been miserable. You couldn’t even breathe in without inhaling them. We turned back south to get away from them. They didn’t bite just really irritated you. You never know when you might need A/C.

You will never get your money back out of the new genny. It will just have to be a choice you make if you want to have the convenience of a penny on your trip.

Lots of people do without. Some people use an air cooled Honda on their swim platform, kind of frowned upon by neighbors at anchor.

Pete

I think you will pay to replace the generator one way or another, either now so you can benefit from it, or at boat sale time when the buyer discounts any offer in anticipation of replacing it. I would replace it now so you can better enjoy your trip. The comments about bugs is very important, and critical if you don't have screens on your boat. And even if you do have screens, some of the bugs are small enough to go right through.

If avoiding a sacrificed night of misery/bugs is worth $500...10 such nights gets you half way to the new gen...and a hero in the eyes of the Admiral!

Is this a 3.5 KW NextGen? Mine has died because of a high-rising exhaust line installation error, but that is just the Kubota diesel end with the electrical end being just fine. $3500 rebuild, and I have fixed the exhaust line run.

RG
Hopefully the OP has had a good assessment done on his current genset. If not your post is correct.

Back
Top Bottom