Theft Issues In Oakland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"From the article -
"As Oakland deals with an epidemic of robberies, home break-ins and carjackings, those who live aboard boats along the waterfront said they are facing a threat of their own: an increase in attacks from pirates.

And while some are calling for more police response to the area, Taylor (a boat owner near by) takes a pragmatic view.

"They (the police) can't handle the land, financially and resource-wise," he said. "They can't do anything. There's no Oakland Navy
.""

May not spread to other areas of either coast but it sounds like it has spread from the land to the sea in Bay area.

Back when I was buying the boat it was docked at the brokers slip in Alameda (right next to Oakland), but a pretty upscale area. One day the broker advised that he had removed all the electronics from the flybridge and where he put them. Said there were reports of missing equipment. That was 2 years ago.

I lost a chart plotter during maintenance in alameda boatyard about a year ago. Jack London square is trying hard, but very close to many encampments. No words….

I was docked in an upscale marina in Ensenada, when one of my dockmates had his high end FLIR stolen from a mast at the top of the (power) boat. The owner was seen (on my security camera) looking up intently at my FLIR. I politely asked about his interest and warned me that it could get stolen. Turned out it was an inside job -- as in insurance scam.

Last edited:
I was docked in an upscale marina in Ensenada, when one of my dockmates had his high end FLIR stolen from a mast at the top of the (power) boat. The owner was seen (on my security camera) looking up intently at my FLIR. I politely asked about his interest and warned me that it could get stolen. Turned out it was an inside job -- as in insurance scam.

I was just going to say... Marinas in Mexico have far and away the most security I have seen anywhere.

I was just going to say... Marinas in Mexico have far and away the most security I have seen anywhere.

Agreed. 24/7 security that walk the docks a few times each night. Marinas in Ensenada are very comfortable place to liveaboard (I pay around $450/mo for a 36-foot slip). Entrance to the entire property is secured so once inside, there are no locked gates or locked bathrooms. Liveaboards are welcome (for a modest monthly fee). There are rules against dock-junk/clutter that are strictly enforced so liveaboards are either active/aspiring cruisers such as us, or aged-out cruisers at the end of their cruising career (very interesting people).

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom