The Table - Grand Banks Classic 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donm

Vessel Name
Plover
Vessel Make
Peregrine Cat LC
My in-laws enjoyed a GB Classic in the Bahamas a number of years ago. The boat is long sold and the people that were so nice to their son in law have now passed. Myself and a few family members have just finished clearing out the house and we ended up with the cool table that I remembered from that GB.
It's in the process of being shipped from east to far northwest and I'm pretty excited, but I don't think I ever saw the center rectangle used for anything. It looks like it should move, but doesn't. But then, the drawers are stuck closed and have prying cracks on the fronts (I have repair projects ahead of me).
Does anyone know how that center section moves?
Sorry that I don't have a better photo, as the last flat surface I couldn't keep people from stacking things on it long enough to capture that whole thing bare. The photo I attempted to link is at the shippers and just the portion of the top that I am wondering about.
Gosh, I did love that boat. My first trawler trip.

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 36
It rotates open by pushing down on either end.

I have two on my table. When you push it down, pop it out and turn it over, it fits back in the table up side down. Mine is designed to hold a couple drink glasses from sliding around.

Thank you

Well, I pushed on all end and sides, but maybe when it gets to me I can spend a little more time with it. Thank you, at least now I know it is suppose to move!

Well, I pushed on all end and sides, but maybe when it gets to me I can spend a little more time with it. Thank you, at least now I know it is suppose to move!

Hit one end with the palm of your hand. The other end will pop up. Might have to hit it hard 1st time. Or even use a rubber mallet.

As a note, unless bolted to the floor, as they were on the boat, they are unstable with leaves up.

I imagine there is all types of "crud" which has filtered into the cracks over the years. Maybe it can be pushed up from below.

pete

Or this

I suspect banging on it from the bottom will work and it’s a good suggestion as stated to use a rubber mallet. If that doesn’t work I had an amazingly similar situation once and what ended up working was taking a razor blade by hand inserting one corner into the gap and slowly moving it enough to then grab the top of the razor blade with some pliers and work it through the gap. I would start in one corner as if you go a few inches that will probably be all it takes. Good luck and I think it’s cool that you guys still have it

Hi Don,
I went to the boat today and took some photos. This is a 32 GB, smaller version of the same table. We have had a 42 and two 46's with the same table. As others have said, simply pushing down on either end of the insert should make the opposite end pop up. Some are stickier than others. The advice to pound from the bottom won't work as there is a storage cubby underneath. This table has a single top cubby with a drawer on the end, others had two cubbies. A couple of the other tables had, as someone mentioned, cup/glass holders on the bottom side of the cubby lids, so they could either be flat side up for dinner or holder side up for cocktails. I would bet that some judicious tapping with a fist or mallet might make it pop loose. Possibly it was stored somewhere with high humidity and swelled up, maybe some time in a dryer environment would help. Good luck and do report back!
Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 18