Teak Deck Survey in North Chesapeake Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JESSEDIVER49

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 42
I have a 1984 GB with original teak decks that are starting to separate in two spots. About 5 planks in total. Rather than removing these individual planks to re-secure to the fiberglass beneath it, I’d like to first get an expert to survey my deck to give me a recommendation on the best possible courses of action. My boat is in Northeast MD. Can anyone tell me a person in the northern Chesapeake Bay who has expertise in teak deck repairing and replacing that I can hire to do such a survey?

I am not from your area so I can’t make any recommendations as to a person to check the decks. However if you have several spots that are going bad, I would think that there would be more places that are ready to go. If it was my boat, I would be looking at removing the teak and refinishing the decks and then painting the decks. There will be thousands of screw holes that are potential leaks into your deck core. Hopefully you will catch the problem before the core gets wet and rots. Then the repairs will be much easier than having to dig out the wet core.

Jesse,
Not from your area either, so not exactly much help, but I agree with Dave. You are on the right track to get those decks checked out thoroughly!!! If you have rotted deck cores, this will be either an expensive, or at the least (if DYI) a time consuming repair (in the worst case, and with a 1984 boat, I fear the worst: sorry).

That is the reason when I was boat shopping, screwed down teak decks were on my "do not want" list (just my personal opinion).
Good luck, and I hope you find only a minor problem,
Tom

Back
Top Bottom