Swim platform repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I've got my new to me 48 Californian on the hard while I work out some issues. The swim platform was upgraded some years ago and I can’t believe they put this 4 foot wide platform on these boats. I’ve seen 4 or 5 of them like this. This platform was attached with 1/4 inch bolts and of course it didn’t hold well. I’ve figuring the port side hit a dock some where and bent the bracket. I replace the 1/4 inch bolt with a 5/16 and make some large washers for both sides of the bolt. I can’t bend the L bracket back into place. I’ve tightened the bolt with an impact wrench and 6 foot cheater bar. It’s not going to move any closer. I’m guessing the only way to fix this is to completely remove the L bracket and have some shop fix it.
Any creative ideas?
Should I fill the gap with shim’s

The Brockerts

Attachments

• Inkedswimplatform_gap_closeup.jpg
    Inkedswimplatform_gap_closeup.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 32
  • fullimage_swimplatform.jpg
    fullimage_swimplatform.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 30
That is a somewhat small bracket for that huge platform. I think that I would ho to a S/S fabricator and have something more substantial made. Or at least take it off and find a way to straighten it out. Can you add a couple of brackets?

You have my sympathy. I yanked mine about two weeks ago when a super tide left it resting on mangrove roots. Crack!!
Anyway, for your issue, I’d just do the shims for the time being and figure a fix on the next haulout.. If the rest of the bracket was not up hard against the platform, I’d haul it and pull it off. With a fiberglass transom, straightening that bracket would be a real risky thing to do. As it is, I’d sure check in the lazarette for any signs of cracks or water intrusion at the backing plates/bolt holes. Is the platform noticeably warped since the incident?

It's probably just bent from all that leverage. I agree, you need a whole new set of brackets made appropriate to that platform. The supports should go all the way to the edge of the platform. Looks like they used the same brackets that came with the original, smalle, platform.

Thanks for support and idea's. I'm getting all the measurements together for new brackets and have them made. In the mean time I'll fill the gap area with fiberglass or maybe 5200 and the next haul out I'll have my new brackets ready.

The Brockerts

I really do not like those huge swim platforms. Can you cut it down or have a more modest sized one made? Four feet out provides an awful lot of leverage. If it is there, it will get used. Picture a dinghy or a couple 200 pounders sitting on the edge cooling off their feet.

Just for comparison. My skin platform is about 30 inches deep and is supported by four very beefy S.S. brackets, through bolted with 9/16 bolts.

pete

Take the bracket off the boat. Find some suitable heavy, immovable object(s). And a suitable collection of large hammers. And BEAT IT INTO SUBMISSION!

Appropriate finesse is advised.

Bear in mind that that questionable-looking arrangement has worked for that boat for many years.

Back
Top Bottom