Stuff People Don't Tell You About Moving Aboard!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dampness is a problem on anything on the water. If you don't control the climate you will have issues.
Never noticed a dampness problem onboard and we have no a/c.
We do see temps between 40f and 100f+ dependant on season.
I put it down to large overhangs shading the darkened windows and cabin sides, solar panels shading the roof and plenty of ventilation.

Never noticed a dampness problem onboard and we have no a/c.
We do see temps between 40f and 100f+ dependant on season.
I put it down to large overhangs shading the darkened windows and cabin sides, solar panels shading the roof and plenty of ventilation.

So you do control the climate of your boat. Overhangs, darkened windows, shaded roof, ventilation. Not with A/C but other means.

I found another one - MARINE A/C'S SUCK! They suck a big ole bag of wieners.

They don't cool well enough when it's scorching hot outside, and they dont heat enough when it's super freezing!

And they are temperamental little bastards too!

Not mine...... either on this or my last liveaboard.

They are usually undersized for the heat gain or loss of most boat salons.

Plus like all heat pumps, boat or house you have to have adequate heat in your draw so when the water gets cold enough....

I just dislike that without long duct runs they tend to be noisy.

Last edited:
This was so funny. Cannot wait for more updates. :)

They don't cool well enough when it's scorching hot outside, and they dont heat enough when it's super freezing!

Might be your specific units. Undersized, low on refrigerant, whatever... maybe complicated by glass exposure to sunlight...

Ours work fine... although for AC that means angling the side blinds to reduce direct glare and a mesh cover over the front windows in July and August... and for heat when outside water temps are above approx 43°F.

When I lived in Texas, I didn't notice high temps there being noticeably more uncomfortable than July/August where we are now... and we were still swimming in the apartment pool in November/December down there, don't remember winters being a big deal.

-Chris

We have 2-16000 units on Hobo in Florida and the tropics. We’ve never needed or wanted a third or bigger units. Pilothouse stays cool in the mid afternoon heat. This morning it was 39 out but the waters still warm as we are.

Along with the already mentioned things to check is the water lines to cool the unit. Have you cleaned them out recently. I ran some barnacle buster through mine to clean them out.

Now when you say ‘bag of weiners,’ are you thinking like, a paper bag with them sticking up out like baguettes? Or more of like a plastic bag, where they’re all mushed together like chicken parts?

Back
Top Bottom