Stern Tie rope length?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJK

I’ve reviewed previous posts related to stern tie methods but would be interested in suggestions for the amount of rope that would cover most situation in the mid coast / desolation sound area. I currently have a reel of 320’ of 1/2” poly. I’m considering replacing it with more of 3/8”. The boat is a Nordic Tug 26. Any additional suggestions for set up, anchoring, etc will be appreciated.

I stern tie at least 20 times a year, sometimes more, in the Desolation Sound/Broughtons and other similar areas. I like having a minimum of 400', and prefer 600' if I can swing it based on the size of the line, whatever you're rolling it up on, etc.

I like that length so I can loop it around an object on shore and have 200-300' of distance to play with.

I use 3/8 yellow poly line so it can be SEEN, 600' of it. I've seen to many people dinghying close to shore and get nearly decapitated because the line is difficult to see.
It is in 3 pieces so I can use 200, 400 or 600 ft depending upon my position.
Each end has a shackle as part of the line so the connections between are easily and quickly done. One end secured to the boat and then my wife rows the other end out to shore and does a temporary securement.
My wife will come back in the dinghy and I run the extra line to the secured line on shore and arrange the lines so the loop is continuous.
I also now have about a 10 fter of 1.5" wide piece of nylon flat lifting/hoisting strap to wrap around the trees as that is often the secureing point. No damage done to the bark then.

Then I row back and adjust the lines and anchor line if need be.

By the way since there are just two of us I leave the engine running in reverse. Reduces the boat from wandering all over the anchorage but the wanderings must still be watched and adjusted for.

I use my spare anchor line, 400' of 5/8" nylon with 15' of 5/16" chain spliced in and a large snap hook on the end of the chain, so I can snap it back onto the chain with no tie. The chain also gets you off the rocks and if you tie into the rocks there is no chafe to worry about.

I use 400' of Sampson 3/8" Floatline in bright yellow. I bought. 600' spool, used about 200' for some painters etc... and left the 400' on the spool for my stern tie. I made a holder for the spool.

I found and that 400' was plenty for us for stern ties in the Desolation Sound area.

Considering that your boat is 26', a 600' length of 1/4" poly line is more that adequate. We have 600' on our Willard and have never had a problem. This is how it's stored.

Attachments

• Reel.jpg
    Reel.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 25
Bob: Thanks for the picture. Would also like to know how others are storing all that line. I was thinking of a garden hose type storage that has the handle to wind the line back up like a fishing reel. Any other ideas?

Two random tidbits I think I gathered from these forums:

1) Consider having a second heaving line that's half the length of your stern line. That way you can take the stern line and the heaving line out, then heave the end of the stern line back to your boat. Rowing it back will be harder than taking it out.

2) Someone suggested making a 10' stern tie "bridle" (not really sure what the right term should be). It'd be a length of line with a small loop on one end and a large loop on the other. You'd slip the stern tie line through the small loop, then tie a monkey's fist near the end of the stern tie line. Take the line out as you would, and once you find a tree or similar object as your fixed solid object, pass the stern tie bridle around the tree. Pass the monkey's fist knot through the large loop of the bridle, keeping the stern tie line on the near side of the fixed solid object. Bring the end of the stern tie line back to your boat (with the heaving line mentioned above?). When it's time to leave, cast off the end of the stern tie line from your cleat, and start reeling in the stern tie line. That line will happily slide through the small loop and large loop of the bridle, then when the monkey's fist gets to the fixed solid object, it will pass through the large loop (releasing the bridle from around the fixed solid object) but the monkey's fist will not pass through the small loop. As you continue reeling in the line, your bridle will return to the boat, saving you the hassle of going to land to release your stern tie line.

I had one of these made up for me at Fisheries Supply the other day. It has a smaller and a larger metal ring anchor spliced onto each end with a webbing sleeve over the line connecting them. I speced a locking carabiner that will pass through one ring but not the other to attach to the end of my stern tie line. Can’t wait to try it out in Desolation Sound this summer.

I made this to hold the spool of line that I bought. It is nothing more than some PVC pipe. It is then just popped into a rod holder that happens to be in the aft cockpit. It is a length of pipe with and end cap that you can see in the photo. The pipe runs though the spool, the a 90° angle, another short straight piece, another 90°, then a short piece to take it half way across the length of the spool, then an angle straight down.

Cheap, simple, effective, and lightweight. I have 400' on that 600' spool.

It was an idea I stole from a TF member 8 years ago.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469805924.513372.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1469805924.513372.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 12
I had one of these made up for me at Fisheries Supply the other day. It has a smaller and a larger metal ring anchor spliced onto each end with a webbing sleeve over the line connecting them. I speced a locking carabiner that will pass through one ring but not the other to attach to the end of my stern tie line. Can’t wait to try it out in Desolation Sound this summer.
I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. If the carabineer does actually pass through the large ring well on recovery.

The other issue to watch for is that it could get caught and wedged into "V"s if rocks on the shore.

I used 600 feet of poly prop stored in a "jump stuff bag"(water resistant) like how technical rescue firefighters store their ropes. Just "stuff" or feed the rope into the bag, it will not tangle. Secure the bag to your boat before going ashore. Unless using a pre-installed stern tie ring (on the rock face), and especially if going around a tree, I used a 6-7 foot bridle, made of 5/8" poly prop with a large ring spliced into one end, and a small ring in the other. On shore, the bridle goes around the tree and the stern tie line is passed through the rings on the bridle going through the small ring first. Using the bridle protects the tree from any "sawing" action as the boat moves in the wind and current. To make getting the stern tie line back to the boat easier, I also used a small messenger line (basically a stout, thick string) on a garden cord reel or similar (so it could self pay out), with a clip secured on the end. When going ashore take the end of both lines and the bridle. On shore, tie after passing the shore tie through the rings, tie a loop in the end and attach the messenger line. Working together, the shore crew (can pull the line from the boat) and the boat crew can "pull" the shore tie back to the boat using the messenger line in a very quick and easy fashion. I have watched many boaters struggle with this part of the operation when not using a messenger line. Cleat the end of the shore tie and pull tight the part of the rope coming out of the stuff bag (take out the slack) before cleating the "other end (part)" leaving any excess rope in the bag and place the bag "out of the way". (When leaving) The stern tie "system" can be retrieved from the boat without going ashore (as the line runs from the boat ashore and back to the boat - 2 legs if you will). First tie a knot in the end of the stern tie line making sure it is large enough to "hang up" on the small ring, but is small enough to pass through the large ring (this gives a good idea of the ring sizes to use). Retrieve the line and the knot will bring back the bridle with it. Be aware that a quick jerking motion can avoid the bridle catching in the rocks on shore once the knot has reached the rings. On rare occasions you may have to go ashore due to "catching", but if done correctly this is very rare.
Hope this helps save some trees, and makes the job of stern tying easier.
FYI. I starting this post last night, and it sounds similar to what sababa talks about.

Back
Top Bottom