Stern Tie line - BC coastal & area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ventana:
I'm with you. We just avoid anywhere where a stern tie is necessary. There was one on the boat when we bought it but has never been used.

+3

We carry 600' of yellow poly but it is not worth the hassle. Used 3 times and like new. We've used the anchor hundreds of times and much prefer a good solid hook while avoiding the Desolation crowds.

w8n4sum said: I also liked not swinging around in circles overnight, kind of a nice feeling to know we were staying in the same spot. We haven't experienced high winds while stern tied so that will be a new experience one day.

Reminds me of an incident in Melanie Cove (Prideaux Haven) quite a few years ago where there were 6 boats stern tied close to the N shore, an afternoon fresh westerly wind and a high tide. The upwind boat lost their anchor set, and it was like dominoes. All boats ended up alongside each other or on the beach!

In many cases, conditions like these can create forces to overcome the anchor, but not the stern tie. Something to keep in mind.

Reminds me of an incident in Melanie Cove (Prideaux Haven) quite a few years ago where there were 6 boats stern tied close to the N shore, an afternoon fresh westerly wind and a high tide. The upwind boat lost their anchor set, and it was like dominoes. All boats ended up alongside each other or on the beach!

In many cases, conditions like these can create forces to overcome the anchor, but not the stern tie. Something to keep in mind.

That's where the spare anchor upwind to a midship cleat comes in handy!

Luckily, north of Cape Caution doesn't get too crowded :thumb:

There are lots of little one boat anchorages in the Broughtons where a stern line is necessary. It would be a shame to pass these up because you need to swing. I always look for a dead or down tree to wrap around, never a live one.

There are lots of little one boat anchorages in the Broughtons where a stern line is necessary. It would be a shame to pass these up because you need to swing. I always look for a dead or down tree to wrap around, never a live one.

I’m not arguing the point, but am wondering if you could name a couple of these anchorages. I don’t stern tie, and don’t feel like I’ve missed out on places because of it, but as they say “ I don’t know what I don’t know”

I’m not arguing the point, but am wondering if you could name a couple of these anchorages. I don’t stern tie, and don’t feel like I’ve missed out on places because of it, but as they say “ I don’t know what I don’t know”

The Beach Music crew is pretty seasoned and know the waters in question quite well. They like many probably find that some tight anchorages, in season, benefit from a stern tie. Places like Laura Cove, Prideux Haven, Grace Harbour and Tenedos to name a few.

With the cruising clubs, boats with kids and cruising guide hints pointing towards these places a stern tie may well be a wise choice. Provided the weather cooperates. Most of us have some stern tie stories whether windy or not.

RSN's query is legit IMHO. What we prefer doing is anchoring only, but hey, I do believe we're in the minority.

My avatar picture is my tiny boat in Octopus and a full swing there my be a disaster. Anchoring in Chatterbox with my stern to the wall is common when the docks are full.
You're being too modest, I would not consider your boat tiny. :socool:

When we visited Octopus Islands last year we opted to drop the hook dead center of the bay and had full swing on our anchor. I know the area you are talking about and I was too chicken to stern tie in there. Beautiful area.

I spent the month of June in Desolation Sound last year. I would not say that a stern tie line is absolutely indispensable. Without a stern tie-up, you’ll probably find some place to swing or a dock to tie-up. However, having a stern tie capability vastly increases your possible spots for anchorage and it also makes you a better boating “citizen” if you happen to have your eyes on anchoring in a popular spot where stern ties are the customary protocol.

Last June, we were cruising around Desolation Sound before crowds started to arrive but they did thicken up noticeably over the course of the month. There were many days on our trip in June - for instance in the Octopus Islands and in Laura Cove - where we pulled into an empty or almost-empty anchorage, and it would have been possible for us to swing in the center of the cover. And we were tempted to do that because that’s our preference. But making that choice is a bit anti-social IMHO - if you care about such things. If I get to Laura Cove early on a June day and swing on my anchor, I am having a significant adverse impact on other later arrivals who might choose to use the anchorage in its more customary fashion - with boats observing a stern tie protocol.

There seemed to be a number of approaches to this conundrum in June deployed by various boaters who seemed to fall into three camps in shoulder season: (1) those who would pull into a popular anchorage and stern tie immediately, even if not necessary at the time of arrival, (2) those who would swing, but then move to a stern tie as more arrivals entered the anchorage later in the day, and (3) those who took advantage of their “first in time” priority and occupied the entire anchorage on a hook regardless of the number of boats prevented from enjoying the same anchorage.

Based on my experience in June in Desolation Sound, I would say that the vast majority of boaters fall into groups (1) or (2) above, but not all. We started out in group (2), but moved to group (1) for a couple of reasons. First, as Americans enjoying Canadian waters, it seems like leaving rooms for Canadians (and others) in a spectacular anchorage is a nice move. Second, it’s nice to settle into an anchorage once, and not have to contemplate the prospect of moving to accommodate a later arrival. And, third, it’s not all that difficult once you get your drill down so long as the conditions are not very adverse. (With the occasional unexpected surprise.)

We use 600 feet of floating line. We looked into the various options for rail-mounted reels for that line, and opted to simply store the line flaked into a plastic bin which is stored in our lazzaret. When we need to use the line, the bin gets brought to the cockpit to be deployed. Storage is easy and out of the way, and it was cheap.

Another reason why to learn how to stern tie :D
Right?

We still consider ourselves stern tie rookies but managed (with help from others already being in their tenders) to do so in several spots last year. We did Desolation Sound in mid-June and Gulf Islands late August and some spots definitely needed this method. Of course we would prefer anchorages with less boaters around but we had fun and tried to keep out of everyone's way. Boating....it's fun!

I spent the month of June in Desolation Sound last year. I would not say that a stern tie line is absolutely indispensable. Without a stern tie-up, you’ll probably find some place to swing or a dock to tie-up. However, having a stern tie capability vastly increases your possible spots for anchorage and it also makes you a better boating “citizen” if you happen to have your eyes on anchoring in a popular spot where stern ties are the customary protocol.

Last June, we were cruising around Desolation Sound before crowds started to arrive but they did thicken up noticeably over the course of the month. There were many days on our trip in June - for instance in the Octopus Islands and in Laura Cove - where we pulled into an empty or almost-empty anchorage, and it would have been possible for us to swing in the center of the cover. And we were tempted to do that because that’s our preference. But making that choice is a bit anti-social IMHO - if you care about such things. If I get to Laura Cove early on a June day and swing on my anchor, I am having a significant adverse impact on other later arrivals who might choose to use the anchorage in its more customary fashion - with boats observing a stern tie protocol.

There seemed to be a number of approaches to this conundrum in June deployed by various boaters who seemed to fall into three camps in shoulder season: (1) those who would pull into a popular anchorage and stern tie immediately, even if not necessary at the time of arrival, (2) those who would swing, but then move to a stern tie as more arrivals entered the anchorage later in the day, and (3) those who took advantage of their “first in time” priority and occupied the entire anchorage on a hook regardless of the number of boats prevented from enjoying the same anchorage.

Based on my experience in June in Desolation Sound, I would say that the vast majority of boaters fall into groups (1) or (2) above, but not all. We started out in group (2), but moved to group (1) for a couple of reasons. First, as Americans enjoying Canadian waters, it seems like leaving rooms for Canadians (and others) in a spectacular anchorage is a nice move. Second, it’s nice to settle into an anchorage once, and not have to contemplate the prospect of moving to accommodate a later arrival. And, third, it’s not all that difficult once you get your drill down so long as the conditions are not very adverse. (With the occasional unexpected surprise.)

We use 600 feet of floating line. We looked into the various options for rail-mounted reels for that line, and opted to simply store the line flaked into a plastic bin which is stored in our lazzaret. When we need to use the line, the bin gets brought to the cockpit to be deployed. Storage is easy and out of the way, and it was cheap.

Great post, we are pretty much in the same camp.
In popular destination anchorages stern tying makes total sense, and it drops the stress associated with bumping into other boats at o' dark thirty in the am.

I also wouldn't want to feel guilty watching a late in the day boat come through the anchorage looking for a spot while I sat in the middle of the bay , swinging in the breeze looking like the king
Its not that hard to set a stern line once you do it a couple times.
HOLLYWOOD

Two years ago we were anchored in Lowe's Inlet. It is a big anchorage so no need for a stern tie, right? Wrong for the next boat in.

It was a 180' fully crewed mega yacht. The captain positioned the vessel with stern towards the shore and dropped the hook. Then he went astern for about a boat length. A large center console had already been deployed. A large door opened off the swim platform and a 1 1/2" line was passed to the tender.

The tender had a purpose built bollard and warping drum and proceeded to shore pulling the shore tie line with it. A young fit crewman scampered up the rocks and under radio guidance from the on yacht skipper was pointed to some large trees, finally selecting the right one. Now he carried the line back to the tender and proceeded to pull out about 300' minimum back to the mother ship.

Then the warping drum on the large vessel tightened everything up. I was waiting to see the tree topple, it did not. With a tidal swing of 15' or so the shore tie line was adjusted throughout the night. Quite an event to watch and talk about.

In my experience the decision to use a stern tie in popular, crowded anchorages such as Desolation Sound and Octopus Islands has been driven 90% by etiquette, and 10% by security. Since my boating is recreational, etiquette is very important to me, in support of the enjoyment and safety of my fellow boaters.

I personally dislike stern trying to shore. Especially in the Broughtons.

Stern tying to shore require the boat to be closer to shore which allow the flying insects to reach the boat. I'm not talking normal bugs here. There are horse/deer flies that bite and try to eat us and the flying ants.

The flying ants fly to the boat, lose their wings and crawl all over the interior of the boat. We usually discover a pile of wings on the roof and search for the buggers. They are big. No fun when they crawl into the bed and wake me from sleep.

The horse/deer Flynn's bite cause huge welts and lots of itching. "After Bite" or ammonia required to reduce itching. We usually spray our selves with bug repellant, cover all openings with a screen and burn fragrant candles in the cockpit.

Swinging on the hook further from shore really reduces the insect invasion. Most can't fly that far, especially if there is a breeze.

The other reason I don't like to tie to shore is the temperature comfort. Swinging on the hook allow the boat to always face the breeze which cools the boat significantly. Sandpipers center pilothouse window opens and captures the breeze forcing it through the boat. The temperature is also warmer closer to shore.

Funny story about deer/horse flies:

We were rafted in Claydon Bay, first small bay on the right as you enter, with 4 - 5 boats. It was hot and the place was swarming with the flies.

Two of us were having a contest to see who killed the most flies with our Harbor Freight bug zappers. We hung up two strips of duct tape at the back of the boat and stuck the dead flies to the tape to keep count. We also thought that other flies flying onto the boat would see the dead flies on the duct tape and scare them off. There may have been some adult beverages involved.

Wife from another rafted boat walks over, sees the dead flies on the hanging duct tape and assumes the tape is attracting and capturing the flies. We did not correct her assumption and she ran back to her boat and told her husband to find duct tape and hang it on their boat to capture flies.

My friend and I had an amusing afternoon, watching them checking the duct tape often and when no flies were stuck to the tape moving the duct tape to a different location. I snuck over to their boat and stuck a single dead fly on their duct tape. They came out later, saw the captured dead fly on their duct tape and yelled over to us excitedly "we got one!"

Husband walks over later and wants to know if the brand of duct tape made a difference or if we were putting some sort of "bait" on the duct tape since he was not having any success at capturing many flies. His wife was pressuring him to "catch them flies" and she told her husband to see what we were doing different. My friend and I couldn't contain ourselves, burst out laughing and told him what we were doing. They were not happy with us.

Next day after everybody left, we moved Sandpiper out to the middle of the bigger bay at Claydon and dropped the anchor. We had hardly any flies reach the boat.

Last edited:
Right?

We still consider ourselves stern tie rookies but managed (with help from others already being in their tenders) to do so in several spots last year. We did Desolation Sound in mid-June and Gulf Islands late August and some spots definitely needed this method. Of course we would prefer anchorages with less boaters around but we had fun and tried to keep out of everyone's way. Boating....it's fun!

I was thinking about other boats, coming in late and seeing one or more boats whose swing radius gobbles up the anchorage. That’s when stern tying is a handy skill, especially if the weather is worsening and there are no other options nearby.

For the horse flies we spray a paper towel with Raid and crumple a few up, hiding them around the interior of the FB. The big flies love it, drop very quickly. Anchoring out doesn't matter, the big boys find us.

...Wife from another rafted boat walks over, sees the dead flies on the hanging duct tape and assumes the tape is attracting and capturing the flies. We did not correct her assumption and she ran back to her boat and told her husband to find duct tape and hang it on their boat to capture flies.

My friend and I had an amusing afternoon, watching them checking the duct tape often and when no flies were stuck to the tape moving the duct tape to a different location. I snuck over to their boat and stuck a single dead fly on their duct tape. They came out later, saw the captured dead fly on their duct tape and yelled over to us excitedly "we got one!"

Husband walks over later and wants to know if the brand of duct tape made a difference or if we were putting some sort of "bait" on the duct tape since he was not having any success at capturing many flies. His wife was pressuring him to "catch them flies" and she told her husband to see what we were doing different. My friend and I couldn't contain ourselves, burst out laughing and told him what we were doing. They were not happy with us.

That's just plain mean....and funny!!!!!

So you want me to give up my secret spots? OK. Picture 1 is in the Muirhead Islands at the head of Drury Inlet. 50deg 55.415min N 127deg 08.312min W. Picture 2 is in Joe Cove on Eden Island. 50deg 44.824min N 126deg 39.449min W. The third picture is in Monday Anchorage on Tracey Island. 50deg 44.128min N 126deg 38.409min W. Two other spots that I don't have pictures for are in McIntosh Bay, Simoon Sound. 50deg 51.703min N 126deg 31,393min W and 50deg 51.789min W 126deg 31.198min W.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 50
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 58
  • picture 3.jpg
    picture 3.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 46
I haven't noticed any significant difference with the horse/deer flies when it comes to anchoring close in or a bit further out. If they are around (in that bay), they come "a-calling". Both my wife and I have had major swelling from their bites from time to time, so want to avoid them or at least their bites.

A tactic I've been contemplating is to place the spare anchor on an estuary drying flat instead of tying a line to a tree.

From the edge of an estuary drying flat in this area the bottom drops away at the angle of repose, which is about 50 degrees or so, to around 100' where the bottom starts to level out a bit.

You could dinghy in at high tide, or walk the anchor in at low tide. This could put you smack dab in the middle of the estuary, a perfect photography platform for bears wandering around snacking on springtime sedge grasses or chasing fall salmon.

The main anchor, because of the slope angle, would hold well for the strong onshore afternoon winds and the spare anchor would be good enough for the light nighttime offshore breezes.

*Note...when we were last in Kildala Arm, the depth sounder read 10' when the chart said 30' (been 100 years or so since the area was last charted) so be wary of estuary changes on BC's north coast!

good god people.. get some window screens for the bugs

HOLLYWOOD

good god people.. get some window screens for the bugs

HOLLYWOOD

We screen all the openings but who wants to be hiding inside the boat from the insects?

We screen all the openings but who wants to be hiding inside the boat from the insects?

Bug bites are the price of admission to The Big Show.

Always blows me away how people can anchor in a beautiful anchorage and never leave their boat. There's so much to discover ashore!

Bug bites are the price of admission to The Big Show.

Always blows me away how people can anchor in a beautiful anchorage and never leave their boat. There's so much to discover ashore!

That's for sure.

The ones that are watching tv inside their boat at a beautiful anchorage in the evenings baffle us. The sunsets are better than anything on the monitor.

The ones that are watching tv inside their boat at a beautiful anchorage in the evenings baffle us. The sunsets are better than anything on the monitor.

How do you know they don't have a camera on deck, and they're watching the sunset on the monitor?

The horse/deer flies always find us, even anchored pretty far out. When they are really bad, the term 'watch your back' takes on a new meaning while cleaning fish. My wife stands behind me with a swatter or towel to fend them off. Otherwise I'd be bitten without mercy.

Copied and Pasted:

"Black Fly Season in the Adirondacks - Tips & Advice
black flyEditor's Note: Please follow the DEC and CDC guidelines to adhere to social distancing while hiking and recreating outdoors during this public health crisis. Hikers are asked to stick to trails close to home and only hike with immediate household family members. Read more from the DEC »

It's an inevitable fact of being outdoors in the Northeast in the summer - you're bound to have encounters with black flies. Although they may be small in size, their bites pack a big punch and can make fun outings unbearable.

Black flies are often found in swarms, so you may wind up with multiple bites from a single encounter. Before you head outside, be sure to read up on these tips for dealing with these tiny pests.

When and Where are Black Flies the Worst?
streamBlack fly season typically starts in the middle of May and runs through late June or early July. The flies are most active several hours after sunrise and an hour or two before sunset due to the humidity of the air and the position of the sun. When the air is dry, flies may seek moisture in leaf litter on the ground. Although their bites do not spread disease to humans, they are painful, itchy, and can even cause severe allergic reactions in some people.

The insects lay their eggs in clean, fast-running water - like rivers and streams - that are commonly located in wooded areas. This is why you're most likely to encounter them when you're hiking, camping, paddling, or fishing in or near the woods.

How Can I Avoid Black Flies?
Since it's unrealistic to stay inside until black fly season is over, try the following methods to avoid the pests:

Have your outdoor fun in the middle of the day, especially when the weather is dry and sunny, as black flies will be less active during this time
When hiking, avoid trails that run along streams, since that's where black flies lay their eggs
When paddling, explore lakes and ponds instead of rivers and streams. The openness of the area surrounding lakes and ponds is less appealing to black flies, and the wind you'll find in the middle of these bodies of water has added benefits for keeping the flies away
Wind makes it more difficult for black flies to track down a host, so windy days are better for outdoor adventure
The carbon dioxide created by a campfire can also make flies less able to target a host - only start a campfire when it's safe to do so, and be sure to monitor the fire the entire time
How Can I Repel the Flies?
Here are some tips for repelling pesky black flies:

Wear long sleeves and pants when outdoors
Wear light-colored clothing (flies are attracted to dark colors)
Wear a hat with attached netting to prevent flies from swarming your face
Try natural repellants, like vanilla extract, lavender, and pine branch extract
Avoid wearing perfumes and consuming sweetened foods or beverages
Use insect repellent, like those containing DEET
Light a campfire to disguise your scent (but be sure to tend the fire responsibly)
How Can I Treat Black Fly Bites?
Although they are typically slow to heal, black fly bites can be soothed by a number of different remedies.

First, be sure to wash the area with soap and warm water, but make sure you don't scratch or further irritate the bite. Next, apply aloe vera, witch hazel, calamine lotion, or other gentle topical agents that soothe irritation. If those remedies don't work, or if there are symptoms of an allergic reaction, an antihistamine may be necessary."

Enough on bugs.

Murray wrote;
“A tactic I've been contemplating is to place the spare anchor on an estuary drying flat instead of tying a line to a tree.”

I had the same thought and I’ve never stern tied to the shore.
As long as it wasn’t low tide (and maybe if it was) one could drive in over the shallows bow first and drop the spare anchor along w the line to the trip shackle attached and pay out an appropriate amount for short scope and whatever is needed for tide. One could pre-deploy the trip line on it’s float. Back out and deploy the #1 anchor from the bow. Gotta pay attention to rode lengths but that’s part of anchoring .. right?

It would also be essential to position the boat so as to not be on the mud in the AM. I did that in Glacier Bay wondering why it was so calm and a bird sounded so close. The bird was on the mud about 2’ from the boat. Duh.

The worse place ever for deer flies is Brundige Inlet on Dundas Island waiting to cross Dixon Entrance. We will actually wait in PR instead of staying at Dundas.

Back
Top Bottom