Steering Query

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongMistyDays

Vessel Name
Pacific Dream
Vessel Make
CHB Heritage 38
Hello TF,
Brand new to this forum and trawlers in general, although I've had my eye on them for some time, winnowing through my likes/dislikes, must-haves and wish lists. Not sure if this is the correct place to be asking about mechanical and steering gear, but our 'new' boat doesn't have an autohelm and I have searched this site and found some suggestions re brands and models. I understand the definitive issue is hydraulic steering vs. cable/quadrant steering. I am hours and miles away from the boat and want to do some research on the 'best bang for the buck' autopilot choice. And that is not to be construed as the cheapest - I realize a good, long lasting, workhorse unit will cost some dough. So first off, is a CHB Heritage 38 (1985) single engine trawler likely to have hydraulic or cable?? And is Simrad probably the unit of choice for these craft, re hands-off steering?? Any help, info or advice appreciated. Chris.

Can't speak to your steering mechanism, nor to Simrad.

I can tell you our last boat had a Furuno AP, and this one has a Raymarine. Both seemed to work fine.

Our more recent experience is less well informed, though, 'cause we haven't had it long. And it's not connected to the Garmin plotter, so dunno how the Raymarine unit will respond to that when I get around to getting that hooked up.

FWIW, I usually first consider what other electronics are (or will be) fitted, and generally prefer to install a one-brand solution unless there are reasons not to. Our previous boat was all Furuno (excepting radios). This one is mostly Garmin but with the Raymarine AP and with some other broken stuff; I'm assuming I'll add more Garmin things, and if the Ray AP were to go south, I'd first consider a Garmin replacement. (All that being without much experience with Garmin, yet.)

-Chris

I had a Garmin AP installed over the winter and I love it. I have all Garmin on the boat and find it easy to use.

Hello Chris,

Welcome aboard!:thumb:

So first off, is a CHB Heritage 38 (1985) single engine trawler likely to have hydraulic or cable??

A 1985 38' model just about anything will likely have hydraulic steering.

And is Simrad probably the unit of choice for these craft, re hands-off steering??

Many years ago Simrad bought Robertson, who at the time had what many consider the best A/P. Simrad continued that reputation and they make an excellent A/P today. Other brands have risen to the challenge, and today the brands mentioned above will drive the bus in a straight line. Raymarine is often the least expensive, and a good value. Furuno makes good everything. Garmin is probably the most user friendly, they are with most of their line.

My $0.02 :socool:

Hello Chris,

Welcome aboard!:thumb:

Many years ago Simrad bought Robertson, who at the time had what many consider the best A/P. Simrad continued that reputation and they make an excellent A/P today.
My $0.02 :socool:

Robertson was the pilot of choice. Simrad did not continue with that reputation IMO.

any of the pilots for direct drive will steer your boat. its important to choose the right pump.

I got the Furuno and a Lever steering and no longer have to spin the wheel

Thanks all, for the 'welcomes' and the info. I certainly hear those purporting 'one-brand' for electronics. I had all Raymarine on my sailboat other than a Garmin chartplotter (which I really like) and when I upgraded the Raymarine autohelm last year to the EV100, it would not interface with the Garmin. In trying to sort it out I talked to both mfr's and Garmin blamed Raymarine and vice-versa.
I will get on this boat and learn the systems before I leap, but it sounds like I definitely have hydraulic steering and will research auto-pilots, based on that info. Thank you. Chris.

Back
Top Bottom