Starting Battery JD 4045

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scurvydog_pnw

Veteran Member
Hi folks,

Our boat currently has two John Deere 4045 145hp engines. Currently the system is setup that the engines start off the house bank directly which is a bunch of 6V AGM.

Well it's time for the original house bank to be replaced and I want to switch to individual start batteries for the engines separate from the house bank.

First the JD manual does not say what the CCA for the engine should be. Roll eyes.

I am thinking to use a single Lifeline 2400 AGM battery (870 CCA) for each engine with an option to parallel them if ever needed. I picked this battery as it will fit exactly in the place of one of the old Lifeline 6V house bank batteries.

Do folks think 870 CCA is enough to start the engine or should will I need to permanently parallel them together?

Cheers

I'm using a group 31 AGM that's no more than 850 CCA and now 6 years old for starting my 4045. I think one would be sufficient.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Which model 4045? Google for the “performance data” for the model. You should find a roughly 4 page detailed technical spec sheet that includes the start battery requirements.

My 4045TFM75 has a spec requirement of 640 CCA. I use a group 34 battery with a CCA of 800.

Ted

SD
No matter what battery size you end up with, insure the cable size is conservative and length of runs as short as possible. The best of battery selection was negated by "bad" cabling when our vessel was built. We eventually eliminated over 30' of starting cable length :eek:

Last edited:
Took some sleuthing but, here was the technical sheet that showed the CCA. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• John Deere Power Curve.pdf
    81.7 KB · Views: 22
SD
No matter what battery size you end up with, insure the cable size is conservative and length of runs as short as possible. The best of battery selection was negated by "bad" cabling when our vessel was built. We eventually eliminated over 30' of starting cable length :eek:

:iagree:

Large cables and short distances equals low voltage drop. My cables are less than 2'.

20220811_135426.jpg

Ted

Back
Top Bottom