stabilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crusier3650

Vessel Name
Good Karma
Vessel Make
53 Hatteras MY
We presently have a 1983 Hatteras 53 MY with stabilizers. A recent grounding has ruined one of the fins and because the company*Seabrace Wilcox is out of business no parts or repair is possible.The question: if you were looking*for a 53 Hatteras MY would you demand stabilizers or look elsewhere no matter the condition/equipment on the rest of the boat?Insurance may or may not pay for them and I'm wondering about resale before installing new ones at prices from $70K - 123K!

Some people won't buy a boat without stabilizers. Other people would prefer to go without if they can save $70K. I don't know what your boat is worth, but I suspect that $70K is too high a percentage of value to expect to get your money out.

Unless your insurance company is prepared to declare your boat a total loss (in which case they pay you the agreed value but take your boat and sell it for whatever it is worth without stabilizers), I can't imagine how they get out of paying.

I purchased my Hatteras 48 LRC under similar circumstances. I could have put $25k +/- to restore operation of the gyro gale stabilizers. But much of the system was still 40 years old. The seller and I found a price where we could agree. I did not think I would really need them but if I did I would invest the money in a different and new solution. So far, including a fair amount of coastal Pacific cruising I still don't see them as necessary. Also one less system to maintain or break. The old system would have required me to run the genset for operation so there were further costs as well.

If my boat and another boat wit stabilizers were to go on the market, all else being the same I doubt there would be more than a $25k price difference, if that.

A 53 MY is more tender (I owned a 58MY) so stabilizers would be a bit more valued assuming the buyer plans to run the boat in the right conditions.

If it were me I would try to collect what I could on the insurance and then only replace your system if you find it limits your use or comfort on the boat. And be prepared to take some hit when you do sell.

Hopefully the insurance company will pay the cost to remove and reglass the hull openings.

We presently have a 1983 Hatteras 53 MY with stabilizers. A recent grounding has ruined one of the fins and because the company*Seabrace Wilcox is out of business no parts or repair is possible.The question: if you were looking*for a 53 Hatteras MY would you demand stabilizers or look elsewhere no matter the condition/equipment on the rest of the boat?Insurance may or may not pay for them and I'm wondering about resale before installing new ones at prices from $70K - 123K!

If selling and they were not working I'd remove them.

But I can't help thinking that if the damage is to the external fin only, why not have a fabricator make another one? You do have one good one to model it on. The fin itself is not that complicated.

Neither the fin, nor the axle it turns on, nor the housing it turns in, nor all three together would be anything near $70K to fabricate, even by a high end fabricator.

I like having stabilization at my fingertips. I would get a real number for getting the repairs done. The 70k number doesn't make sense.

A lot of Hatts have stabilizers. Personally, I wouldn't buy one without them, but I'm a vocal 'gotta have stabilizer' guy.

Can the OP comment on the nature of the damage and the circumstances? One of the dings against fins is they are exposed to damage, perhaps catastrophic. The OP tends to support this premise. Can you comment on the insurance company's justification for denying coverage for the fins?

Peter (W36 WITH stabilizers).

We presently have a 1983 Hatteras 53 MY with stabilizers. A recent grounding has ruined one of the fins and because the company*Seabrace Wilcox is out of business no parts or repair is possible.!

Too bad your vessel is not in the Seattle - lower BC area where we boat. There are several noted yards that could build you a new fin and machine a shaft if needed. As others have said, fin replacement is quite doable.

What brand of stabilizer? If you’re boating on inland river systems fins can certainly grab a shallow area. Be careful.

Anything can be fabricated to work. Certainly costs more to have done. You should be able to pull the good fin and have one customed up. Will cost more than off the shelf but far short of 70 k . Seems to me that is someone looking for a free job on the insurance ticket.

Had my system looked at ( westmar) and I was quoted 70-125 to replace the system.. The people did not want to service it just sell me new.

Thanks for all the thoughts, the Stabilizers are extinct Seabrace Wilcox.
Fins are open, aluminum, water flowing through the fins .
We are at the waiting period of the insurance company deciding what to do and what to pay. Geico/Boat US insurance and in the past has treated us more than fair 15 years ago. Back then they had their own adjusters and they understood boats, now they use a "multi-line" adjuster who may or may not know anything about boats?
COULD I fabricate a new fin? Sure, but then you need to fabricate the brace plates, then the entire extinct motor assembly as it was submerged in salt water and on it goes.
So, depending on the settlement we'll either replace with new or glass it up and call it a day.
Again thanks for all the ideas and thoughts.

Remember. The insurance company owes you for what was lost. So if unrepairable, un re fabricable., they owe you for a new system. Of course withing the bounds of your policy.

I had problems with Gico reducing my total boat coverage due to the age. So check your policy. If you coverage is for 50 k and the repair is 70k they will total the boat. You may be able to talk them into covering the removal of the system. They will always go for the least out of pocket cost to settle the claim.

You can always reach out to a private adjuster to get his professional input. Fees will apply that you will have to cover.

I had the same thing happen on my Hat 58MY when forced out of the channel by careless oncoming boat. My Seabrace fin was a simple shape made of steel not a complex foil. The shaft can be straightened or duplicated by any competent machine shop or a prop shop. Use the existing fin as a pattern.

A lot of 53's lack fins. But for my money they sure make cruising more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom