Spare part storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimdavi

Vessel Name
Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Make
2019 North Pacific 45
With boat coming on 4 years old, I’m starting to purchase spares, e.g. fresh water pump, water heater parts etc.
Question- are you vacuum packing parts? What do you use? Concern is corrosion as I’m in saltwater environment.

I use heavier duty plastic bins with latching tops. I save all the silica desiccant packs I can get my hands on. Throw a few in each bin. Probably not as good as vacuum bagging, but....

I use heavier duty plastic bins with latching tops....

Same here. Sterilite makes storage bins in various sizes with gaskets that stack nicely, I use a series of them. And they're clear so I can see the contents and don't have to go digging to find something. The only downside of sealed containers though is -- well, they're sealed. For example I use one container to store all the consumable stuff and pastes and liquid -- caulk, glue, cleaner, boat wax, motor oil, inflatable dinghy glue, etc. I always open that one with good ventilation because even though each container or tube is individually sealed, you'd be surprised how much still gasses off.

I store some of them on the boat year round but take some home for the winter. When it drops below zero they do crack pretty easily, so I try not to disturb them when I'm checking the boat on jackstands in February. They're really not designed for the Arctic but work well otherwise.

With boat coming on 4 years old, I’m starting to purchase spares, e.g. fresh water pump, water heater parts etc.
Question- are you vacuum packing parts? What do you use? Concern is corrosion as I’m in saltwater environment.
I used to vacuum-bag parts, but it was a pain and I couldn't open a bag and reseal it, without dragging out the sealing machine. The bags would also sometimes lose vacuum over time, so for years now, I've used heavy duty ziplock, double-seal freezer bags instead. I can get them from sandwich size up to one or two gallon for various part sizes. I coat the part with Boeshield T-9 corrosion inhibitor, put my part in, throw in a desiccant pack, squeeze out as much air as possible and seal. I keep the bags of parts inside organizer totes with latches, which I bought at Walmart. I write the name of the parts on the lid, number the bins, note their location and record everything in a spreadsheet on my computer.

I tried misting metal parts in storage with WD-40 but that evaporates off pretty quickly, then I tried a different lubricant that wouldn't evaporate as easily (PB Blaster) but it stinks, then I tried rubbing on mineral oil, but that evaporates too after a while. I use paste wax at home for the table saw table and drill press table, that kind of thing, but as a practical mater you can't really use wax as a surface protectant on mechanical parts.

I use plastic tubs for organizing. The only issue I have had is oil filters. They are the quickest to rust. If you like storing oil filters for years then I would vacuum bag them.

I now only store one spare set of oil filters. This way they are never on the boat long enough to have an issue.

I do not store spare parts in the engine room or the lazarette, unless they are plastic or stainless steel.

I use a food saver to seal my spares. You can buy desiccant packs on Amazon or ebay.
There are a number of spray on temporary coatings for steel and other metals.

We use the large clear plastic storage bins with sealing lids.

I guess that depends on the size of the boat and engine room.
One of my favorite sayings “it’s on the boat somewhere.”

I stored a spare alternator in a oil soaked rag on our sailboat and it still rusted up.

We have a spreadsheet of what is where by location and alphabetically. Makes it much easier to find those rusted parts.

Thanks all. I’m going to try vacuum packing spares that don’t require opening unless being used.

Back
Top Bottom