Southeast Alaska towns/harbors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
What is your favorite Southeast Alaska town? Why? Doesn't necessarily have to be one of the larger towns.

I lived in Alaska for 25ish years but never got to Southeast, I lived mainly in Seward and Homer on the Kenai Peninsula.

I've deckhanded on boats from Buldir Island to offshore of Mount Fairweather and points between. While ideally I/we would like to relocate back to Seward and Prince William Sound for a couple years we are also giving much consideration to Southeast AK.

Wrangell.

It's just the right size for us. We keep our boat moored there year round. Wrangell has two grocery stores, two hardware stores, a huge marine service yard and haul out. Wrangell is serviced by Alaska Airlines and the Alaska Ferry. It is centrally located to easily access the rest of the Southeast. It is far enough inland to be protected from the severest weather. Everyone is super friendly and welcoming, although this seems true through out Alaska.

Wrangell does not have huge cruise ships and an overwhelming tourist economy. So it has retained the small town environment. It is a stop for the smaller "luxury" cruise lines, but these don't overwhelm the town when they are in port.

Many cruisers from the lower 48 choose to keep their boats in Wrangell year round.

Craig.

On the west side of POW island. Most all of the boats you'll see there are trollers and seiners. Many times we've been the only sport boat there. The big draw to this area is the fishing in July and August, but the town and locale has its own ambiance. A fuel dock, grocery store and a good restaurant, Dockside Cafe, complete the package. Very much non-fancy but 'old Alaska' and that's it's appeal.

What is your favorite Southeast Alaska town? Why? Doesn't necessarily have to be one of the larger towns.

I lived in Alaska for 25ish years but never got to Southeast, I lived mainly in Seward and Homer on the Kenai Peninsula.

I've deckhanded on boats from Buldir Island to offshore of Mount Fairweather and points between. While ideally I/we would like to relocate back to Seward and Prince William Sound for a couple years we are also giving much consideration to Southeast AK.

I lived in Seward for several years as well, on my boat in the harbor, winter and summer.

I liked Seward because the climate was drier than other coastal towns.

That said there is Zero chance of me ever living there again. This Alaskan is quite happy wearing shorts and flip flops in Margaritaville. :blush:

If you are thinking of boat living, as a FYI I generally burned around 150 gallons of Diesel a month to keep my boat warm from October through April.

Last edited:
I’m partial to Sitka, but mostly as I was born and raised there. The downside is the tour ship season. If I were going to move back to Alaska I’d probably opt for something more remote so it would have the feel I loved during my childhood.

Petersburg would probably be my choice. No big cruise ships. Winter weather not too bad. Several friends keep their boats there. Lots of fishing business.

Sitka also a fave.

If I were looking for a home, Sitka. Most beautiful physical setting, with plenty of local destinations for weekend boating. We've taken multi-day kayak trips within sight of the city lights. Just the right size to provide all the basic stuff and big enough to have a variety of restaurants and shops. Lack of a deepwater cruise dock holds down tourist traffic to a manageable level. ...and there's the pies at the airport bakery.

Now, if we are talking about sweet little town for a few days or a month, I'd vote for Pelican

Last edited:
If you are thinking of boat living, as a FYI I generally burned around 150 gallons of Diesel a month to keep my boat warm from October through April.

wow that's a lot of fuel

+1, Bill. We just passed through P.R. on the way down. What a nice town. Clean, prosperous, just feels good being there.

Yes. Maybe my favorite liberty port. Great docks w/showers & laundry, nicest harbor staff ever. Good harborfront restaurants; pastries at "Cowpuccino". Nearby groceries and liquor, excellent hardware/chandlery. Good museum too.

Attachments

• rUPERT2.jpg
    rUPERT2.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Yes. Maybe my favorite liberty port. Great docks, nicest harbor staff ever. Good harborfront restaurants; pastries at "Cowpuccino". Nearby groceries and liquor, excellent hardware/chandlery. Good museum too.

But man does the wind blow through that harbor. Sorry, harbour.

I lived in Seward for several years as well, on my boat in the harbor, winter and summer.

I liked Seward because the climate was drier than other coastal towns.

That said there is Zero chance of me ever living there again. This Alaskan is quite happy wearing shorts and flip flops in Margaritaville. :blush:

I did tell the family if we are in Seward we could rent a place in town for the winter months.

Craig.

On the west side of POW island. Most all of the boats you'll see there are trollers and seiners. Many times we've been the only sport boat there. The big draw to this area is the fishing in July and August, but the town and locale has its own ambiance. A fuel dock, grocery store and a good restaurant, Dockside Cafe, complete the package. Very much non-fancy but 'old Alaska' and that's it's appeal.

POW Island looks like my type of place, I did even show the girlfriend the old Point Baker Lodge listed for sale.

https://coastalak.com/properties/20418-23-4975/

Muro,
I’ve lived many years in SE.
Recently spent over 10 yrs on POW. I’d say points north like Petersburg, Sitka and Juneau will have more appeal to cruisers from the lower 48. But overall Petersburg has my vote for SE appeal to outsiders. Next is a toss-up tween Juneau and Sitka. Skagway seems to be in another world almost not connected to SE. Skagway, the railroad to Whitehorse and of course Whitehorse … which clearly isn’t in SE and lacks the essence of SE charm .. should not be overlooked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom