Source for Bronze Pipe Fittings? Hose Clamps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Any suggestions for sourcing decent quality Bronze Pipe Fittings, specifically T-fittings and hex reducing bushings? Groco makes a lot of stuff, just not T-Fittings. I found "Smith Cooper" but no idea if they are decent quality. Thoughts?

Also, any specific recommendations on top quality hose-clamps for 2-inch hose? Steve D'Antonio writes that solid-band is best. Defender carries Skandvik, but again, unsure of quality. Thoughts?

Manifold Bronze.jpg

https://www.cruisingworld.com/use-right-hoses/

I've gone back and forth between Groco and Buck Algonquin to get which fittings I wanted in a reliable marine bronze.
You might also look at Spartan Marine although I think they don't offer actual fittings but a lot of good hardware. It might be worth contacting them. THe online ads/catalogues don't always cover everything.

You can also look for 85/5/5/5 brass, called red brass sometimes. Just ask about the actual alloy content as too many "names" are misleading.
The alloy combination is:
-copper 85% corrosion resistance
-lead 5% for easing machining, also corrosion resistant
-zinc 5% cost
-tin 5% adding strength, also corrosion resistance.

This is a seawater resistant alloy but is not marine rated as such. I used to have a name of a fitting mfgr. but I can't find it right now. I spent a lot of time looking for nipples.

One of the biggest headaches for bronze fittings is nipples. You can find almost everything else in bronze except these. which seem to be made anymore only in brass. Buck or Groco do offer good bronze fittings but only the short , cast ones but good units.

As for actual pipe the best I've found is silicon bronze but the suppliers are limited, of course, and as of yet I was just researching. I was considering buying some and making my own nipples.

Last edited:
T-bolt or Awab clamps.

If t-bolt, make sure the fastener is also stainless and use a small dab of anti-siege to prevent galling, especially with nyloc nuts.

Last edited:
Some of the AWAB clamps are in short supply. Apparently ABA are the same according to Jamestown Distributors. I tried ordering some AWAB and ended up having to go with the ABA but they were fine. I have some AWAB T bolt clamps ordered since they are not welded but instead have an interlocking system so they won’t rust as easily. I ended up ordering the T bolt clamps from Seattle Marine Supply.

Discountmarinesupplies.com has AWAB clamps sold in boxes of 10. Don't know if they have all sizes available but they seem to have the full range of sizes on their ordering page. I recently ordered several smaller sizes to have on hand.
Some of the AWAB clamps are in short supply. Apparently ABA are the same according to Jamestown Distributors. I tried ordering some AWAB and ended up having to go with the ABA but they were fine. I have some AWAB T bolt clamps ordered since they are not welded but instead have an interlocking system so they won’t rust as easily. I ended up ordering the T bolt clamps from Seattle Marine Supply.

Any suggestions for sourcing decent quality Bronze Pipe Fittings, specifically T-fittings and hex reducing bushings? Groco makes a lot of stuff, just not T-Fittings. I found "Smith Cooper" but no idea if they are decent quality. Thoughts?

Also, any specific recommendations on top quality hose-clamps for 2-inch hose? Steve D'Antonio writes that solid-band is best. Defender carries Skandvik, but again, unsure of quality. Thoughts?

View attachment 97139

https://www.cruisingworld.com/use-right-hoses/

Defender sells bronze T fittings.

Back
Top Bottom