Simms Fuel pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hallp

Vessel Name
Joshua
Vessel Make
Blue Seas Trawler 36ft
Hi all, I am looking for some advice.

I am attempting to start my Ford Lehman 120's for the first time in 4 years.
After priming the lines up to the inlet of the injector pump I cracked the outlet from the pump to the individual cylinders and cranked the engine until I could see fuel.
I retightened and cranked some more and after a few attempts the engine fired and sat comfortably at idle.
I attempted the same on the second engine and I can only see fuel on the discharge on the first 2 cylinders.
Is this a sign that I have a pump problem or is it possible I have still got air trapped.
I have been cranking it in bursts of 30sec around 20 or more times.
Hoping its not a pump problem, it is on the starboard side against the fuel tank and not the most accessible area.
Cheers
Phil

Try turning over the engine with the 1/2 inch bleeder bolt on the side of the pump cracked open - it's the forward one of two just below the six outlets to the injectors. Once solid fuel comes from that point, it should fire. Mine always did after a load of air.

Rgano you are a legend.
I did not know about that and I have learnt something new today.
Both engines are now running like a charm after sitting for four years.
Many thanks
Phil

I read that to my wife who laughed and said, yes, I am a legend. in my own mind. sigh :(

29 years of owning a pair of those jewel will instill a lot of how-tos in your brain.

Back
Top Bottom