Sewing Machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Due to astronomical prices from canvass shops I'm thinking about attempting the project of replacing the brown, cracked and broken, previously clear roll up windows on the flybridge. The canvas and zippers are fine so I hope that replacing the vinyl or eisenglass (not sure what it is) is all I need to do. Sailrite prices are a lot. Canvas shops are totally backed up and very expensive to do the work.

Anyone know of a sewing machine that can make it through 40 gauge vinyl and canvas?

They will be rolled up the majority of the time and I'm thinking I only want the front and front-side corners done for use in rain and chilly days. I prefer operating from the flybridge even though I have a lower helm.

Sailrite is the sewing machine that will pop up.

There are supposed to be other machines that will work as well, but my impression from reading a bunch of conversations about sail and canvas projects, is that Sailrite is likely the "best." It is "expensive" but you get what you pay for, the company has videos, supplies and support.

If you do not get a response on this site, try the Cruising Forum. Here is a random discussion I quickly found, https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/canvas-sewing-machine-questions-254237.html

Sewing machines can be found for sale on Cruising Forum.

Decades back, a coworker bought a nice sewing machine from a local shop, took some classes and then made drapes. The cost of drapes was high enough that he could by the machine and cloth cheaper, course he spent his time. :D What you are thinking about doing is a somewhat common conversation on Cruising Forum.

Later,
Dan

Let me start by saying my sewing skill level is about a 3 out of 10. I say that even though I have made several items that saved tons of money. But you quickly realize the upper skill levels take a tremendous amount of experience to attain.

I started with a homeowners Singer Heavy duty unit. This is a non-walking foot machine. It was plenty good enough to make interior cushions and they are amazingly refined machines and are more capable than many give them credit for. Those cushions are coming up on 3 years and look new still. I easily save $2500 doing those myself.

I then bought a Sailrite LSZ1 which is a walking foot. That is much more capable when doing Sunbrella, canvas and other heavier, multi-layer projects. It also has Zig Zag which I never had the need to use. Apparently zig zag stitch is mainly for sails and things that need to stretch. I used that machine to make several exterior covers and repair the bimini etc.

Then at my work they were having a silent auction for equipment they no longer needed for a very large Aviation facility. In the auction was a Seiko STH-8BLD-3. Its a professional walking foot machine. I got it for $200 and it was pretty much brand new. I added a servo motor for another $200. It is an absolute Cadillac when comparing to the Sailrite machine. Its like a Swiss watch.

The great following and reputation of the Sailrite IMO is not quite deserved. Its finicky, noisy and prone to breakage at times. One of the main reasons it has such a following is because that model can be used at sea using the handcrank wheel to make repairs and do any sewing needed. So mainly cruisers and sailors had them onboard. There are also many clones that are much cheaper. Actually the Sailrite is a clone as well. In Sailrites favor they do have several proprietary improvements that in theory make their machines a bit smoother and more reliable than the other clones. They also have a servo type drive now called the Worker Bee that should improve things. But IMO the price is a bit high. For the price of a new Sailrite you should be able the find a used Seiko STH-8BLD-3 or its twin the Consew 206RB. Both are far superior machines to the sailrite.

I ended up selling the Sailrite, kept the Singer and the Seiko STH-8BLD-3. And yes you will save THOUSANDS by learning to sew. And there are many small repairs and small jobs to be done that are just hard to pay someone for. Some of my favorite projects are when I get to get back on the sewing machine. I love completing these things and it feels great knowing you did it yourself.

Here is a comparison between the Sailrite and the Seiko STH-8BLD-3

https://youtu.be/WZpRXbTTMzU?si=8WeEydhE9TFGHail

Last edited:
Let me start by saying my sewing skill level is about a 3 out of 10. I say that even though I have made several items that saved tons of money. But you quickly realize the upper skill levels take a tremendous amount of experience to attain.

I started with a homeowners Singer Heavy duty unit. This is a non-walking foot machine. It was plenty good enough to make interior cushions and they are amazingly refined machines and are more capable than many give them credit for. Those cushions are coming up on 3 years and look new still. I easily save $2500 doing those myself.

I then bought a Sailrite LSZ1 which is a walking foot. That is much more capable when doing Sunbrella, canvas and other heavier, multi-layer projects. It also has Zig Zag which I never had the need to use. Apparently zig zag stitch is mainly for sails and things that need to stretch. I used that machine to make several exterior covers and repair the bimini etc.

Then at my work they were having a silent auction for equipment they no longer needed for a very large Aviation facility. In the auction was a Seiko STH-8BLD-3. Its a professional walking foot machine. I got it for $200 and it was pretty much brand new. I added a servo motor for another $200. It is an absolute Cadillac when comparing to the Sailrite machine. Its like a Swiss watch.

The great following and reputation of the Sailrite IMO is not quite deserved. Its finicky, noisy and prone to breakage at times. One of the main reasons it has such a following is because that model can be used at sea using the handcrank wheel to make repairs and do any sewing needed. So mainly cruisers and sailors had them onboard. There are also many clones that are much cheaper. Actually the Sailrite is a clone as well. In Sailrites favor they do have several proprietary improvements that in theory make their machines a bit smoother and more reliable than the other clones. They also have a servo type drive now called the Worker Bee that should improve things. But IMO the price is a bit high. For the price of a new Sailrite you should be able the find a used Seiko STH-8BLD-3 or its twin the Consew 206RB. Both are far superior machines to the sailrite.

I ended up selling the Sailrite, kept the Singer and the Seiko STH-8BLD-3. And yes you will save THOUSANDS by learning to sew. And there are many small repairs and small jobs to be done that are just hard to pay someone for. Some of my favorite projects are when I get to get back on the sewing machine. I love completing these things and it feels great knowing you did it yourself.

Here is a comparison between the Sailrite and the Seiko STH-8BLD-3

https://youtu.be/WZpRXbTTMzU?si=8WeEydhE9TFGHail

That Seiko is still a $1300 machine. I'm looking to spend much less.

I've done a lot of work for myself, friends and a few "commercial" customers with a Sailrite LS-1. I added the monster wheel and highly recommend that version /upgrade. I am getting close to selling mine after I finish a few additional projects. Likely next spring. / summer if someone in NE is interested... it will be a package w large work surface, adjustable ht machine table, lots of tools, accys & fabric & mesh leftovers... I will post here on TF when ready to sell out.

If your panels & zips are in good shape and only the clear vinyl needing replacement I have been successful with a different & slightly longer process that the commercial shops use just sewing a new clear piece over the old and cutting the old out leaving a raw edge. If interested I'll elaborate or find my post describing the "how to"
Sailrite will have no problem w 0.040" vinyl plus canvas, binding, zips, etc.

I currently have 2 complete machines ready to go. Both walking foot w reverse. Juki 562 & a Consew RB1.
$650 & 950 respectively. PM me if interested, Middle River MD

I listed my LS-1 Sailrite 2-weeks ago. I reduced the asking price to $600 (and it has the Monster Wheel that Bacchus mentions), but it's in the San Diego area. Full disclosure - these machines do not ship well. As stated in my ad, I can drop at a UPS Store to have them pack and ship at buyer's expense - I'd estimate shipping in the $250 range.

My TF Listing is HERE.

I enjoy sewing and agree with others that having one is really handy and can save a bunch of money. More importantly, you will find many uses for it. I have a list of projects that I will get done eventually - cover for my upper helm instruments, storage bag to hang over the seat on my dinghy, bonnet for my table in the cockpit, sun-shades for my side windows, etc. These are all pretty easy projects.

Let me know if interested. If you send a PM with your email, I'll send a short video showing the machine working.

Peter

Last edited:
I've also been wondering about the merits of removable polycarbonate panels since my plan would be for front and front corner panels.

Due to astronomical prices from canvass shops I'm thinking about attempting the project of replacing the brown, cracked and broken, previously clear roll up windows on the flybridge. The canvas and zippers are fine so I hope that replacing the vinyl or eisenglass (not sure what it is) is all I need to do. Sailrite prices are a lot. Canvas shops are totally backed up and very expensive to do the work.

Anyone know of a sewing machine that can make it through 40 gauge vinyl and canvas?

They will be rolled up the majority of the time and I'm thinking I only want the front and front-side corners done for use in rain and chilly days. I prefer operating from the flybridge even though I have a lower helm.

If you have not discovered the DIY videos from Sailrite, you're in for a treat. Here's one on doing flybridge enclosure side panels.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-Enclosure-Side-Curtains-Video

The Sailrite guy is extremely prolific about videos. Very helpful and informative. I am about to sew a screen-door with magnet catches (HERE).

If you want a lower end walking foot that is similar to the Sailrite there are quite a few makers. This Consew comes to mind Consew CP206RL Portable Walking Foot Machine https://a.co/d/hLbgfgp

Weebles deal is a very good one. Especially with the monster wheel.

I have made2 sets of dinghy chaps and repaired my dodger and bimini with a cheap $100 Walmart sewing machine. IT went through sunbella and vinyl ok. It didn't like going through old glued sections. The problem isn't so much the machine punching through as it is to be able to roll the canvas up to be able to feed it through it

I have a Sailrite machine that isn’t made anymore. It wasn’t cheap but boy does it work great. It will single stitch through 8 or more layers of Sunbrella with ease. I saved the cost of the machine in my first project. Since then I have made full enclosures for 4 boats. I have literally saved tens of thousands of dollars with it. I only use Tenara thread.

I chose not to sew one of my projects. The PO had Sunbrella and clear plastic windows for the cockpit enclosure. They were in bad shape as the thread fails, the zippers fail, and the Sunbrella gets moldy (first picture).

I chose not to sew (although my machine will go through clear vinyl) and went with vinyl-coated polyester (VCP) and glued everything with HH66. No sewing. I used the old Sunbrella panels as patterns, extended a few inches to overlap, and then used twist fastenings instead of zippers. Zippers and snaps are great when (while) they work. The twist fasteners take a little getting used to. Also, the VCP and clear window combination gets stiff below 60 degrees and are difficult to roll up. Not a big problem as we usually leave them down all winter.

Attachments

• 20200415_141144.jpg
    20200415_141144.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_1512.jpg
    100_1512.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_1510.jpg
    100_1510.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 42
I have a sailrite machine and it works very well. I did have a few problems that was more my fault not knowing sawing machines. There support video's and tech support was very helpful!

I chose not to sew one of my projects. The PO had Sunbrella and clear plastic windows for the cockpit enclosure. They were in bad shape as the thread fails, the zippers fail, and the Sunbrella gets moldy (first picture).

I chose not to sew (although my machine will go through clear vinyl) and went with vinyl-coated polyester (VCP) and glued everything with HH66. No sewing. I used the old Sunbrella panels as patterns, extended a few inches to overlap, and then used twist fastenings instead of zippers. Zippers and snaps are great when (while) they work. The twist fasteners take a little getting used to. Also, the VCP and clear window combination gets stiff below 60 degrees and are difficult to roll up. Not a big problem as we usually leave them down all winter.

Tenara thread is guaranteed to last the life of the fabric. I have had it go through my hot knife and come out intact. You can get zippers that are made out of Sunbrella so they will last. If you don’t like Sunbrella then Stamoid is a waterproof alternative. It is also easier to clean since it isn’t woven.

I just took a quick look at FB marketplace and saw a sailrite in WPB for $780. This is a zig zag portable machine designed for the job you want to do. There were also several commercial machines that looked capable although not portable. Those mounted on a table with a clutch motor mounted beneath the table are generally much more capable. I saw a Singer and a couple of Jukis that looked interesting in the $300 to $500 neighborhood.

The great following and reputation of the Sailrite IMO is not quite deserved. Its finicky, noisy and prone to breakage at times. One of the main reasons it has such a following is because that model can be used at sea using the handcrank wheel to make repairs and do any sewing needed. So mainly cruisers and sailors had them onboard. There are also many clones that are much cheaper. Actually the Sailrite is a clone as well. In Sailrites favor they do have several proprietary improvements that in theory make their machines a bit smoother and more reliable than the other clones. They also have a servo type drive now called the Worker Bee that should improve things.
The Worker Bee absolutely transforms the Sailrite machine. Forget the Monster wheel. I would not buy a Sailrite without the Worker Bee servo drive. Huge improvement.

One big advantage to the Sailrite is they have all the parts in stock, and will advise you in videos and on the phone about how to maintain and repair the machine.

If you are doing a long run of heavy fabric such as v-berth cushions or larger enclosure panels,, a walking foot machine keeps the two panels from deforming and puckering. Also, many of the less expensive machines have plastic internal parts that do not hold up against heavier fabric. There is a reason professional canvas folks charge a lot. It's time consuming. Even more so if you don't have the right tools.

Bottom line is if you plan to sew heavy material such as vinyl windows to sunbrella, a lessor machine may do the job or it may not. I can say from experience that working with a machine that is either undersized or not properly calibrated is extremely frustrating. Missed stitches, inability to make long stitches, broken thread, puckered seams, etc. It sucks.

Sewing is surprising time consuming. And the materials are not cheap. Saving a few hundred bucks on a sewing machine can be false economy. May sound like I'm promoting Sailrite mini walker because I have one for sale. I have one for sale because I bought a newer Sailrite and only need one walking foot sewing machine (I have a Kenmore regular machine too).

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:
On the subject of tenara thread it has a tendency to twist and knot eventually if pulled off the cone like normal thread So I dreamed up a pvc pipe as a roller bar such that cone sits horizontal and entire cone spins elliminating twist

The Worker Bee absolutely transforms the Sailrite machine. Forget the Monster wheel. I would not buy a Sailrite without the Worker Bee servo drive. Huge improvement.

One big advantage to the Sailrite is they have all the parts in stock, and will advise you in videos and on the phone about how to maintain and repair the machine.

Yes..i had to repair my Sailrite a few times. I ordered quite a few extras to keep on hand. Sailrite as a company is fantastic. Love all the ways they support the customer.

I like having Sailrites support. I really don't know sewing machines. So when a problem comes up, having a video and some one to talk to was nice.

Don't fool your self if you don't know sewing. Making sample thing was a learning experience but a money saver.

I have only hand sewn canvas when needed and have never used a sewing machine. I'm willing to risk not having a professional looking job when done, which is the obvious. Even if the end result looks OK but is what I need functionally, I still save thousands of dollars

If you can find a used machine... Sailrite or similar... and choose to sell it after completing the project. You will likely get what or near what you paid for a used machine so machine cost is minimal.

On the subject of tenara thread it has a tendency to twist and knot eventually if pulled off the cone like normal thread So I dreamed up a pvc pipe as a roller bar such that cone sits horizontal and entire cone spins elliminating twist

Been using it for about 14 years and have never had a problem with it twisting.

An an alternative approach; I used my wife's domestic sewing machine with needles and tenara from Sailrite. Using this I made a boat cover for a 14' dinghy, covers for two stern cockpit worktops/sink/grill, a cover for the bunny pad and some small covers for UV protection of dinghy hoist lines/windlass cover. I was sewing through between 3 & 4 layers of sunbrella canvas for most of the work. After all this the domestic sewing machine started mis-spooling and i took it to the local repair shop in Gig Harbor where for $75 it is good as new.
~A

Really all you need is a fairly heavy duty sewing machine (and lots of needles, in case of breakage)…just about any old style Brother or Singer will do for typical canvas jobs. The key to using what would normally be a household machine is to go slow and have the correct and sharp needle for the job.
I made the sail for our Cat boat with my old Brother sewing machine (that had only made dresses and a few curtains before) it went through 5 layers of sail Dacron, fairly easily…broke only 4 needles for the complete project. sailmaking.jpgsail2.jpg

Last edited:
Phil, I bought a Sewstrong 607 Longbed (Rex 607L) from Westchester Sewing Co last month. The same base machine as sailrite. Delivered next day, $425. I'm a beginner. Liking the machine.Went through and oiled everything, ran it for an hour, reoiled again and cleaned it up. Sews through 9 layers of Sunforger canvas no problem.
I am finding sewing not much different from building a boat. Good plan, accurate measurements and cuts, etc. Practicing by making generator covers, tool rolls, bags ,etc using my old canvas.

Link to the machine:

https://www.westchestersewing.com/RE607L/

Fellow 78 34' Mainship owner Great Loop, now self scratch building a 30' Rumrunner including canvas work. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom