SeaPiper 35 Delivery Update and Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After a closer look at the pics, I would have to spend some time in there as the v berth looks quite a bit smaller due to the beam and bow shape. The galley also looks a lot tighter than the Camano's. Never thought I would consider myself spoiled by the beamy Camano cabin. Engine access looks a bit tighter as well. In person look definitely needed.

Last edited:
It's all a matter of where you're coming from and how you intend to use a boat. Each boat has those things it's best at.

I would be interested in seeing if one can accommodate the gyro, A/C and a generator. I recognize that adding things really challenges smaller boats. However, based on the reviews, I would consider the Seakeeper a definite requirement. Then if boating in warm climates both the A/C and generator become critical.

I think they've done what they set out to do well. I don't think it's being critical at all when one says it wouldn't fit their needs as it's not intended to fit all needs.. I see it's potential for a couple of small family as a "camper boat." Trailer it and on your way stay at campgrounds or RV parks. Then hit a new lake and spend the night on the water. Similarly a couple deciding to explore the country but loving water could use it.

The next reports I'm anxious to read are some from actual buyers after they've used for a while.

I find it interesting as the largest "trailerable" boat I'm aware of. I just thought of center consoles, and generally 25' is around the largest trailerable while cabins are not added until you get to a much larger model. There are other models that are "movable" as distinguished from trailerable. They can be trailered but require permits.

I think the design also reflects a sail background and it makes the layout interesting. However, sailors are use to getting along with a narrow boat or limited space and this boat has found a way to make the most of the space available. It is a boat that if it was sitting at a dock for sale, I would ask to walk through it while admitting I wasn't a customer.

... I see it's potential for a couple of small family as a "camper boat." Trailer it and on your way stay at campgrounds or RV parks. Then hit a new lake and spend the night on the water. Similarly a couple deciding to explore the country but loving water could use it.

I find it interesting as the largest "trailerable" boat I'm aware of. I just thought of center consoles, and generally 25' is around the largest trailerable while cabins are not added until you get to a much larger model. There are other models that are "movable" as distinguished from trailerable. They can be trailered but require permits.

Based on the weight I put the Seapiper in the moveable category, not trailerable. Also, with the depth of the hull and the keel, I don't expect that launching it off the typical boat ramp is going to be that easy.

The Great Harbor TT35 is about the same size and has a more conventional layout. It is more trailerable than the Seapiper in that it is about 1/2 the weight and does not have a displacement hull.

The Seapiper may be narrow enough to trailer without permits, but what about the height? I think the no permit height is 13.5 ft. On a trailer I think the Seapiper will be pretty close to that limit.

If I were doing it, I would shorten the center cockpit a bit and put that length into the forward cabin (to get the head away from the head of the berth).

Last edited:
Island Bound: Sorry for derailing your thread.

No problem, this has been a good discussion. My wife and I have been living full time on our Great Harbour N37 for over four years and the N37 is truly a "perfect" boat for a couple interested in the trawler lifestyle (just ask Joe Pica :)). We have everything you would have in a small apartment including a galley just shy of 10' x 7'. It is equipped with a double door 23 cubic foot refrigerator, dishwasher and a vented combo washer/dryer. As a bonus, there is also a walk-in engine room and a basement.

The N37 with its 15' 10" beam is literally twice as large as the SeaPiper 35 and has more storage than you should ever need. That being said, at some point, my wife and I will be moving ashore again and if we are still able, I see us downsizing to a smaller boat. The SeaPiper has a lot to offer, as does the new Helmsman 31. A plus for the SeaPiper would be the ability to have it moved to new a cruising area via truck transport. You could spend the summer on the Great Lakes and then have the boat transported to Florida for the winter. Alternately, you could cruise the boat to Florida in the fall and have it trucked back up to the Great Lakes, New England or the Pacific Northwest the following spring. It would be an easy boat to spend several weeks on at a time and with a SeaKeeper gyro it would be an excellent coastal cruiser.

As you and others have pointed, no boat can be everything for all crews, but the SeaPiper is a unique boat that offers something new and different in the marketplace.

Last edited:
Most Seapiper owners aren't going to own a 20,000 lb, three axle trailer to ship their boat with, so the RV transport folks aren’t going to be able to move it. So it will be a marine transporter and the difference between an 8’ 6” load and a 12’ one is a few hundred dollars worth of permits, out of $3-5 thousand for the kind of haul you are talking about.

So for transportation, the 8’ 6” beam doesn’t mean much.

David

I don't see that happening. With 13 orders in hand and an already substantial investment made in tooling costs, SeaPiper will continue to be built as designed with ongoing tweaks and improvements as new boats are completed. Getting a new boat design actually constructed and delivered to customers is an incredible achievement and a huge financial risk. SeaPiper has been positioned for a unique market niche and is not trying to compete with any existing trawlers, new or used. Opening up a European sales office is a smart move as aft pilothouse or steering station power boats are not uncommon

HaHa IB I didn’t expect you to agree w me. BMW motorcycles make many motorcycles that have design problems or irregularitys and they too have a very solid nich market and have been successful.
But the fact that there’s no other boat like the Piper says the otherguys are doing something right.
I really do hope you succeed.

I see the Piper as an 11 or 12 knot semi planing boat.

HaHa IB I didn’t expect you to agree with me. BMW motorcycles make many motorcycles that have design problems or irregularities and they too have a very solid niche market and have been successful. But the fact that there’s no other boat like the Piper says the other guys are doing something right. I really do hope you succeed.

I see the Piper as an 11 or 12 knot semi planing boat.

Let me set the record straight on something. I am not in any way shape or form "officially" affiliated with SeaPiper. I do however have a keen interest in smaller seaworthy trawlers. In the early eighties, while stationed with the Navy in Hawaii, I had a Willard 30 Pilothouse trawler. Years later I was back in Hawaii, working as a civilian and I purchased what may have been the only Ranger 21-EC Tug in the islands. I have followed the development of the SeaPiper closely for the past couple of years and I have had an ongoing e-mail exchange with the designer Ritzo Muntinga.

Trawler Forum probably has as many opinions as actual facts and that is fine. It is after all a place to exchange ideas. It is also the perfect place to talk about a new affordable trawler. For well under $200K you can order a new SeaPiper with a hefty standard equipment list, full electronics and air conditioning or diesel heat. Compare that to the price of a new Ranger 31 or Great Harbour TT35. Either one of those boats will cost an additional $100K plus, which puts them out of reach for many customers.

Here are a couple more factual statements about the SeaPiper 35:

1. Top speed was reported at 9.8 knots at 2800 Max RPM by Sea Magazine. That is just under the 10 knots projected by SeaPiper. At that RPM, the engine is putting out 85 HP. That is hardly sufficient to semi-plane a 17,000 lb boat at 11 or 12 knots. Running the boat at 70% RPM or 1960 RPM should yield about 7 knots.

2. SeaPiper has invested in a second set of tooling that will allow them to increase production as needed. They are all in with the present design and the marketplace will be the one to decide if they make it or not. Like you, I am hoping that that they do.

Last edited:
2. SeaPiper has invested in a second set of tooling that will allow them to increase production as needed. They are all in with the present design and the marketplace will be the one to decide if they make it or night. I am betting that they do.

I'm hoping you're right, although their pricing does give me concern.

A "beyond control" pricing risk is a tariff gets applied on Chinese manufactured imports into USA. Hopefully that won`t affect European sales.

I was recently onboard a TF member`s Finn8, an older similar concept with divided accommodations and narrow design, though about 1/3 shorter. Also mobile,the owner happily tows it long distances (like across Australia)on a trailer with rig length around 40ft all up.
As priced, it seems a lot of boat for the money and fills (or creates),a place in the market.

To trailer a boat with out a commercial tow and license , in some states the LOA of the combination is limited to 55ft .

Others allow 65 ft and a few states allow longer combinations.

My biggest fear on this boat would be a wave climbing on board and filling the fwd cockpit with many cubic feet of water, without a rapid enough drain setup..

Last edited:
Only the ones that have never boated in the south. :lol: Running my A/C unit right now in New Bern, NC.

Jeepers have the same mentality.......until they've been sitting in their topless Jeep with 100 degree 95% humidity. They don't get that even at 60 mph your back n butt are sweating. And lots of folks in cold weather think flybridges are silly unless enclosed. Perspective. Options aren't really options if without them said vessel/vehicle wouldn't be used as often as you'd like.

I like many things about this boat but having the cabin separated from the rest of the boat is something I wouldn’t want. Move the rest of the boat forward and connected to the cabin which would leave a nice typical open rear cockpit. Junk the hoist and use the savings for something useful.

Seapiper 35

I like many things about the boat however the pilot house should moved forward and attached to the stateroom/head. This would also allow for a nice roomy open cockpit in the rear. It would also give better balance to prevent being a tail dragger.

I like many things about the boat however the pilot house should moved forward and attached to the stateroom/head. This would also allow for a nice roomy open cockpit in the rear. It would also give better balance to prevent being a tail dragger.

Then it would compete with every other similar size boat in the size range. I think the intent from designer builder is do something different. Certainly won't be appealing for everyone... Great day/weekend boat for many types.... Many "Trawler" types never get more than 30 miles away from their marina 90% of the time,truth be told. I hope these boats sell, and the builders prevail. Such a breath of fresh air in the market.

Despite what I think of the boat I agree w everything you said Jack.

Then it would compete with every other similar size boat in the size range. I think the intent from designer builder is do something different. Certainly won't be appealing for everyone... Great day/weekend boat for many types.... Many "Trawler" types never get more than 30 miles away from their marina 90% of the time,truth be told. I hope these boats sell, and the builders prevail. Such a breath of fresh air in the market.

30?? That may be high. There are several trawlers and sportfishers who havent even left the DOCK at my marina since they were splashed in May.

I've seen boats that venture about 100 yards from the dock and drop anchor. Later they return to the dock and talk about the great day out they had in their boat.

The problem with a trawler is that it just takes sooooo long to get anywhere. Who has time for that?

I like my boat because it can transit long distances at 60-70 mph.

My wife says we should get a trawler. I told her that "You know when we travel at wake speed and you complain about why we are going so slow, well with a trawler, that's how fast we'd be going ALL THE TIME."

Last edited:
Joining this thread to see where it goes. I'd like to see a longer, similar narrowness version (10' ?) of this, in time. 45' would be perfect, and close to what Captain Beebe recommended as an ideal passagemaker.

Holy cow.
It came off to me as mostly a utility boat.
Look at that woodwork.
Now I see it’s a glitter boat.
Like a yacht.
??

I imagine that a buyer could order less expensive (and less glittery) internal fit-out, if desired. It seems the designer and builder are open to suggestions re. reworking the basic design.

I think the changes I recommended are absolutely necessary. I would not want to go out in the weather to another cabin to use the head or go to bed.

I imagine that a buyer could order less expensive (and less glittery) internal fit-out, if desired. It seems the designer and builder are open to suggestions re. reworking the basic design.

I think that the interior wood work is a bit over done. I think that white or complimentary color fiberglass surfaces with some modest wood accents would be much better than all that high gloss wood work. The FG interior would easier to maintain, easier to modify, and probably hold up better.

Hopefully the design will improve after people gain some actual experience with it. Both using it and building it.

I think the changes I recommended are absolutely necessary. I would not want to go out in the weather to another cabin to use the head or go to bed.

Albin made a couple of models with this arrangement (aft cabin and family cruiser), only the order was reversed. So at least some people find the arrangement acceptable. Probably depends on where you use it. I would put some sort of bimini over the center cockpit though.

But different boats for different folks.

Any Seapiper News

Curious if anyone has gotten a close look or been in touch with the manufacturer. Would like to see one in person at some point.

Curious if anyone has gotten a close look or been in touch with the manufacturer. Would like to see one in person at some point.

Funny you should mention that. I had been wondering the same thing and I sent an e-mail to Ritzo Muntinga almost two weeks ago asking for an update. This is what he sent back. He has since updated the SeaPiper website. The link is below the e-mail. I will try to post some of the photos later today.

Hi Richard,

Yes, I keep being bad at posting news! We actually launched #2 and #3. I have a attached a few pictures and will also post a few on the website.

Boat #2 is already in Florida (as is boat #1) and we have boat #3 here in SoCal to deal with a few (minor) fixes.

Boats #4 and #5 are about 65% complete and will launch by April.

We will be starting on #6 an #7 in the spring.

With kind regards,

Ritzo Muntinga

http://www.seapiper.com/blog/

The bimini over the center cockpit makes a lot of sense and probably removes my one objection to the design.

David

Still can't see how they can build that boat for that price. It'd be interesting to see one. Wonder where the boats are in socal?
It would have been an interesting exercise to look at trading the rear cockpit for a larger interior. Why 2 cockpits? You have side doors from the center cockpit for dinghy and swimming access. Figure out a way to do line handling for the stern cleats and eliminate the swim step.

Still can't see how they can build that boat for that price. It'd be interesting to see one. Wonder where the boats are in socal?
It would have been an interesting exercise to look at trading the rear cockpit for a larger interior. Why 2 cockpits? You have side doors from the center cockpit for dinghy and swimming access. Figure out a way to do line handling for the stern cleats and eliminate the swim step.

Extend the cabin to close the back and have opening windows with the cleat just outside. This is how we often do the side cleats on the C-Dory. Either have a cleat and a window on either side or have a single cleat in the stern center that can service both sides and a single window.

Going out the back is the access to the top, so something would have to be changed there. But it wouldn't be that hard of a mod.

The aft cockpit does give protection from the wind and spray when cruising though.

Last edited:
I like the two cockpits. I spend most of my time in the cockpit so having a second one would be a bonus.
My only concern would be how it drains if water came over the bow, but in protected water it wouldn't be a problem.

Docking wouldn't be an issue. Use a forward spring line, then tie off the boat's aft cleat from the dock when the boat is secure. Or run a looping line from aft to midship; - Lots of options.

Not for everyone, but what boat is?

Back
Top Bottom