Sea water system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Selidster

Vessel Name
Lemonade
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 016
I was watching Drenched on YouTube and they have a pressurized salt water system in addition to their fresh water system. I was thinking this would be a great addition for washing down anchors and anchor chain etc. Anyone add that to their trawler? If so is it recommended?

Don't know anything about Drenched, but raw water washdown pumps are available from a number of manufacturer's. I have installed a few.

David

I was watching Drenched on YouTube and they have a pressurized salt water system in addition to their fresh water system. I was thinking this would be a great addition for washing down anchors and anchor chain etc. Anyone add that to their trawler? If so is it recommended?

As Dave mentioned, many of us have a raw water wash down at the bow for rinsing the anchor and rode. I can switch mine between fresh water and raw water. We use the fresh water unless we are going to be out for a while and need to conserve fresh water.

Most of the boats I worked on are freshwater. I have installed several washdown pumps. I use Shurflo pumps and install a faucet on the boat for a regular garden hose. Parts cost for most systems I have done was between $200 and $500 depending on plumbing and wiring. If I was doing installs now, I would use PEX and quality fittings.

This is the pump that I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Shurflo-2088...8994994f0cc960da8e7ed369edcd31&language=en_US

I have a raw water washdown pump that does 7 GPM at 60 PSI. It's connected to a wand with a 0 degree nozzle that blasts mud off the anchor and chain.

Ted

I have raw water wash down on both the bow and stern. I also have fresh water hot/cold on the stern. I use the same style pump for both the fresh water system and the raw/water system. This way I have a backup pump for my fresh water system.

salt water wash down

at the bow of my KK-42 I have a choice of two wash down systems.

a salt water wash down for getting the mud off

and

also a fresh water wash down to use as a final rinse to reduce smells.

on stern I have a Hot & Cold combo fresh water faucet for stern anchor or deck wash down or also for rinsing any swimmers off, etc.

I use both regularly & highly recommend having them.

Alfa Mike :thumb:

I have a salt water system that parallels my fresh. Just not as much plumbing. Same shallow well pump, but all stainless for the salt water. I use it for rinsing the anchor and chain and as supply for my watermaker. I did use it for wash downs, but built a bigger watermaker and don't have to skimp on the fresh.

What kind?
I believe this is the one I have.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4121624

Correction, it's 6 GPM at 70 PSI.

This is the spray wand I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Buud-Sprayer...hose&qid=1569979260&sprefix=spray+wand&sr=8-9

I took the "Jet Spray Tip" and kept drilling it out with progressively larger number drill bits until I reached a point where the pump wouldn't cycle on an off from too high a pressure (pump has a built in pressure shutoff switch).

Ted

A little off topic, but could an existing through hull that is plumbed to my salt water wash-down system also be used for supplying a watermaker?

Thank you for the responses. I'm going to start putting a wash down system right away. I have three projects now, the wash down plumbing, a composting toilet, and a watermaker.

This is the one I would like to install on my boat. any idea what parts was used?

Our boat came with a fresh water anchor wash down. Since we spend all Summer on the boat in Canada and we do not have a watermaker, I wanted a raw water washdown. I added a pump (Johnson I believe) and tee'd into the thru hull for the air conditioning system. I put in a valve to run only one system at a time. I moved the plastic water line from the fresh water system to the new pump. I'm very happy with how it worked out.

We have a freshwater wash down outlet at the bow and a sea water outlet in the cockpit. This worked fine as long as we could run the watermaker whenever we needed. This summer in the Chesapeake it was so muddy on the bottom and so cloudy in the water that we were using all our water pulling the anchor every day when we were unable to run the watermaker to replenish due to the pre-filter constantly clogging.
The answer was to tap into the existing Qest hose for the cockpit seawater washdown and run a hose to a new fitting at the bow: end of problem.

Back
Top Bottom