Rose Point Coastal Explorer Alternatives -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

Our primary laptop that had Rose point installed crashed and when I tried to reinstall on the new laptop (using the code provided with the kit) I was presented with a message indicating that this license had been installed on a max of 3 devices, cant install.

Called Rose Point and they basically said sorry, cant help you.

I am a little shocked at their lack of support but am now actively looking for other software platforms such as Navionics & AquaMaps.

Thanks for your suggestions..

Last edited:
Where are the other three computers where you installed Rose Point? Can you uninstall one? Seems simple enough.

all were, for one reason or another, no longer functional...as I tried to explain to Rose Point but they were oddly not cooperative,,,

I had the same issue a few weeks ago, and the laptop on which I no longer needed CE was hundreds of miles away. Called them and asked them to delete one of the registrations. They were able to tell me the "computer name" I had given each of the three existing installations, and I selected the one I wished to delete. They deleted it, quick and easy.

Last edited:
Personally I use CE on only one laptop and am very happy with it and the support I have received when asked for.
Alternatives to CE include: OpenCPN, Nobeltec Time Zero, Polarview NS, etc.
I have no direct experience with these programs. I did use an older version of Nobeltec for a while, and found it a bit cumbersome. I like CE better.
Good luck

Last edited:
You could go with Time Zero if CE refuse to delete the dead computers as RCook suggests.

Furuno has a shareholding in the company, and thus perfect integration with Furuno radar etc. I run it on a 24" screen, half screen for TZ and half screen for radar, side by side. No affiliation, just a happy user.

https://mytimezero.com/

I too run CE. I have had no problem getting a new device registered with them. One time was for a Toshiba laptop that crashed and the other time was for my new home laptop. Both times we already had it on three devices. Don't understand why you had a problem.

Tator

Right, something isn't right. I have cancelled and moved around the three licenses a number of times. I would try calling again.

Same here - have had them cancel licenses for old machines many times and never an issue.

I've also had CE remove the licenses from two old computers so I could install it on new computers. They were very accommodating.

Same good experience with CE here. As a matter of fact, I have found them to be extremely generous and helpful. I was one of their original beta users back around 2000 when they first launched. Their upgrade policy is extremely generous - when I came out of a 10-year boat hibernation period to bring Weebles to Mexico a couple years ago, I hadn't run CE in over 12 years. God only knows how many versions I was behind. Fact is the PCs I had it loaded on were long dead (Win 98). I found my original activation code in email, and paid a $99 upgrade fee and they wiped the previous laptop licenses.

Good software. Good company. Something doesn't sound right with the OP. But maybe something changed.

Please keep us up to date. Things sometimes do change in an unfortunate way, especially for software products..

Peter

I'd call CE again...

We've used TimeZero for a long time. Very full featured. And they've been very helpful with the "dead computer" license removal process at least once.

-Chris

all were, for one reason or another, no longer functional...as I tried to explain to Rose Point but they were oddly not cooperative,,,

Radically different from my experience with Rose Point. Very disappointing. At last year's boat show, I asked the very same question about replacing one of the three computers and was told I simply needed to call them with the ID of the computer I wished to remove and they would authorize a new download.

I would call again and escalate if the answer doesn't suit you. But keep us advised. I have been a vigorous advocate of their product; would hate to "adjust my attitude."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom