Rocker switch panel dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Hey folks, hope you all had a good new year.

Several years ago, I did a redux on my helm and pilothouse that included an lighted, eight-gang rocker switch panel from Amazon that was nicely wired with individual fuses for each switch. It literally crumbled, each switch launching its inards after only two years. I replaced it with another lighted eight-gang switch panel, this time a different brand with individual push button breakers for each switch, but apparently the same quality as it is already falling apart after only a year or so.

This time I’d like to avoid this junk and go with a decent quality switch panel. Anybody using something better? My local marine surplus store has some higher quality panels from various boat mfgrs, but I’d like a matched set of eight.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Attachments

• EA2323F2-E181-41CD-AEDF-AC16F479749E.jpg
    EA2323F2-E181-41CD-AEDF-AC16F479749E.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 27
Hey folks, hope you all had a good new year.

Several years ago, I did a redux on my helm and pilothouse that included an lighted, eight-gang rocker switch panel from Amazon that was nicely wired with individual fuses for each switch. It literally crumbled, each switch launching its inards after only two years. I replaced it with another lighted eight-gang switch panel, this time a different brand with individual push button breakers for each switch, but apparently the same quality as it is already falling apart after only a year or so.

This time I’d like to avoid this junk and go with a decent quality switch panel. Anybody using something better? My local marine surplus store has some higher quality panels from various boat mfgrs, but I’d like a matched set of eight.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Blue Sea Systems https://www.bluesea.com

You can get them through all of the marine supply shops. Pricey but very good quality I've found.

Try New Wire Marine for a custom panel with your choice of marine-grade switch gear and features. They have an online panel design tool you can use to have it your way. Genuine Carling waterproof, dustproof switches. Lots of labeling and illumination options too.

I vote for Blue Seas. Very good quailty.

If the panel is OK, you can maybe replace just the switches and actuators.

Blue Seas and/or Carling switches; actuators can be individually labeled and/or lighted, etc.

-Chris

Second vote for New Wire. Great people that you can talk to.

Yeah, I have one Blue Seas horn rocker switch that seems to be the only one staying together. Much better, longer lasting product, for sure.

That New Wire Marine site is neato. Had fun playing with the panel design tool last night. Thanks for that link. Now if I can only stop playing and get down to addressing the issue.

Yeah, I have one Blue Seas horn rocker switch that seems to be the only one staying together. Much better, longer lasting product, for sure.

Larry,

Both Blue Seas and New Wire distribute marine-grade Carling Contura rocker switches.

So, as Chris mentioned above, if your panel is still serviceable you could simply replace the switches, and purchase from either vendor based on style, price and availability.:thumb:

The panel itself was the first thing start coming apart. The switches still work but two of them already launched their springs so I’d expect the rest to follow shortly. All is well till one day you switch something on and it flys apart.

I thought it was UV that was making the panel brittle, but this latest panel has been covered since new. Switches have had perhaps 100 cycles max. Inside temperatures of the pilothouse could reach over 100 on sunny days, but 3M Elite window film pretty much blocks the UV and greenhouse effect and temps stay within 10 degrees of outside

I got a custom panel from New Wire Marine a few years ago. It functions fine but I have been replacing the switches gradually as the light in the switches keep failing. I think some of the Carling switches use incandescent lights and others use LED. I have been replacing with LED's.

Several companies can make a custom laser etched panel to your exact design. You can have patterns or switch labels etched into the panel itself. Also, there are companies that will make custom rocker switch covers with custom text or designs. I did a complete helm station design on our last boat. My recommendation is blue-sea makes some nice LED indicator lights. Also stick with Carling switches. Lots of options and you can get switches with or without LED indicators.

Also I have used https://aplusmobilegraphics.com/shop/ in the past.

Technografix (sp?) is another on that makes custom panels. And apparently they're the OEM supplier for several boat brands...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom