Removing a Cat 3208 TA from a GB 42 classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gypsymagic

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1996 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Has anyone had any experience in taking out and replacing a Cat 3208 TA from a GB 42?

If you can post pictures and details I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Pulling a cat engine out of a GB.

You may need to pull the exhaust off & the manifolds, and maybe even the heads as well, to slip it out the side door.
Need an a-frame and a chain pull.

It being a V8 it may still not fit through the door. May have to take it out a window.

Gypsymagic -

I would be interested in the final dimensions of the 3208 once you remove all the heat exchangers, gear, manifolds etc. I will probably be facing the same project with a Defever.

Or anyone else know what dimension you can pair a 3208 down to?

Don't have info on the TA, but the Cat NA datasheet says it's 36" wide by 36.2" tall and a bit over 59" long with the marine gear attached. The diagram is a simple outline but it looks like that is with the manifolds attached. Also of note, mated with the TD506 it's 1980 lbs!

Yea, thats all put together. The question is, what can you pair it down to.

3208 TA engine removal

After stripping engine including oil pan, turbo, manifold etc. We removed the engine through the port window. Entire window and frame had to be removed. It barely fit with about 2 in. To spare.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 59
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 54
Good job is right. I must say, though, that if it were my GB 42, as long as I had one engine out and the tackle still in place, I'd consider unfastening the other 3208TA and snatching it out as well. Then re-power the boat with two straight sixes, doesn't matter what brand, just something with dimensions better suited to the size of the engine compartment and power better matched to the hull configuration of a 42' GB.

What were the dimensions of the window hole the engine went through?

I may have missed it, but what prompted the engine removal? My Cat 3208TA’s are feeling nervous.

Last edited:
P.O. failed to service after coolers resulting in water intrusion to 2 of the cylinder, scorching them. There could have been other reasons for the intrusion but this was the most obvious. I had no choice but to remove the engine and rebuild it. I chose to go all the way starting with a remanufactured long block, rebuild fuel pump, new injectors, new turbo and while removed, rebuilt transmission, new water pump, etc.

If you have never done it, I suggest you have the heads removed and serviced.
3208 TA are known for head gasket problems with age. The bottom of the engine are solid and will last forever but the top side, heads, turbo, cooling system needs periodic service. Not being sleeved engines, if you damage one cylinder, the engine needs to come out, n expensive ordeal.
Incidentally, I’m a single engine GB so I only had one engine to deal with .

Incidentally, I’m a single engine GB so I only had one engine to deal with .

That's interesting and uncommon in a GB 42. In my opinion, a single 3208 (or comparable) is the optimal powertrain for the 42 for several reasons. In the present case, your removal and re-install should be a lot easier. You could get all around this troubled CAT while readying it for removal, and it was better positioned beneath the hatch in the cabin sole of your salon, as opposed to twins offset on either side of the hatch opening.

Interested to follow your project, thanks for updating the thread!

That's interesting and uncommon in a GB 42. In my opinion, a single 3208 (or comparable) is the optimal powertrain for the 42 for several reasons. In the present case, your removal and re-install should be a lot easier. You could get all around this troubled CAT while readying it for removal, and it was better positioned beneath the hatch in the cabin sole of your salon, as opposed to twins offset on either side of the hatch opening.

Interested to follow your project, thanks for updating the thread!

Agreed. I passed on the 42 because I couldn’t find the very rare single screw. Went with a 36 single. Love the access.
Also following. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom