Recommendations for a Boat tracking/log app

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muirgen Afloat

Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
Beebe passagemaker 50
I've been using Blue Boat Log to map our trips so that those that don't follow us on Facebook or Instagram have a way to see our trips, but we realize in this last big trip down the west coast when we were on the water for several days that it doesn't show us until I close out the trip, so I'm thinking about switching to a different boat log app.

Does anyone have any recommendations of something they use that allows followers to track them real time? Does it allow manual entry on pass trips? Etc... Thanks

When I was doing deliveries I used Garmin inReach. Not real time. Timing determined by your chosen tracking interval and the iridium delays. It worked very well though exactly how to use it these days I can't say. Garmin always seems to want to fiddle around and change things. If you don't have an unlimited plan then be sure to set a coarse tracking interval or you'll get an unpleasant surprise on your monthly bill.

I use garmin Inreach also. It also gives you the ability to send and receive satellite text messages, although with significant delays.

Here's my link. If you click "view all", it will show the last 7 years of my travel.

https://share.garmin.com/EdwardGreen

Ted

I've used and like Blue Boat Log. I have the results of a multi month cruise posted on my Bacchus website... Cruising Notes.... 2019 Georgian Bay Cruise.
I stop the daily cruise when reaching the daily destination / Anchorage so I get realistic distance, speed info for tgat day. I then add text / pics for that day and add it to the ongoing cruise. I forget the exact steps but feel free to PM me back if it's not obvious. You also need to make it public for others to view the addition. Friends & family only need one web link that they can access as often / seldom as THEY choose and it gets updated daily as I add the new days plot, text, pics, etc.
Hope it helps. The developer actually added the ability to connect daily logs into a cruise leg after I inquired about that feature. Prior to that only one day or continuous multi day trips was the only option. He was interested in how folks would use it that way and very responsive adding that feature.
The only issue I experienced during the 2019 cruise was the plot got confusing when we started backtracking.. the solution was to separate the return trip from the outbound portion.

Here is the link for the outbound leg
https://blueboatlog.com/collection/5d3257941697ea5c54cc5bd5
I think the correct terminology is to form / add to a collection to make a multi day/ segment cruise. Also need to make it public. Then use the share icon to obtain & distribute the correct web link for the collection.

Last edited:
I've used and like Blue Boat Log. I have the results of a multi month cruise posted on my Bacchus website... Cruising Notes.... 2019 Georgian Bay Cruise.
I stop the daily cruise when reaching the daily destination / Anchorage so I get realistic distance, speed info for tgat day. I then add text / pics for that day and add it to the ongoing cruise. I forget the exact steps but feel free to PM me back if it's not obvious. You also need to make it public for others to view the addition. Friends & family only need one web link that they can access as often / seldom as THEY choose and it gets updated daily as I add the new days plot, text, pics, etc.
Hope it helps. The developer actually added the ability to connect daily logs into a cruise leg after I inquired about that feature. Prior to that only one day or continuous multi day trips was the only option. He was interested in how folks would use it that way and very responsive adding that feature.
The only issue I experienced during the 2019 cruise was the plot got confusing when we started backtracking.. the solution was to separate the return trip from the outbound portion.

Here is the link for the outbound leg
https://blueboatlog.com/collection/5d3257941697ea5c54cc5bd5
I think the correct terminology is to form / add to a collection to make a multi day/ segment cruise. Also need to make it public. Then use the share icon to obtain & distribute the correct web link for the collection.

I've liked Blue Boat Log (still using it) up until this point when we've started traveling for multiple days, so people had no tracking until we closed out a trip. Made me wish for some thing that had real time tracking. I thought about stopping and starting when I'm on watch in the dead of the night, but just seems a pain. So looking at alternatives.

When I was doing deliveries I used Garmin inReach. Not real time. Timing determined by your chosen tracking interval and the iridium delays. It worked very well though exactly how to use it these days I can't say. Garmin always seems to want to fiddle around and change things. If you don't have an unlimited plan then be sure to set a coarse tracking interval or you'll get an unpleasant surprise on your monthly bill.

I'll check it out. Thanks

what happened to Marine Traffic. I used to go online and find any boat with AIS, now they want money.

For anyone considering an InReach, Garmin also sells the Messenger, which has much of the functionality of the InReach, along with better messaging capabilities when used with a cell phone for inputs. It is also $100 cheaper.

Who remembers following Richard through Europe, across the Atlantic and up the west coast to Alaska with inReach?

Friends who have been boating on the BC coast for 30 years and still do for 3-4 months connect me to Garmin inReach when they leave first leave home.

They don’t usually deploy the fenders for 2-3 weeks at a time and only then for a couple of hours of provisioning. I can track their every move in 10 minute intervals. When they set the hook they turn it off unless they are in a chatty mood, or want something. I can usually provide better weather information than they can get and keeps his wife from delivering a frypan to his temple.

The nice thing for them, they have an annual subscription, which can be suspended over the winter. The tough part if you get into long discussions is a limited number of words per message, so we both compose in broken bits; 1….2…3 etc. then paste in the message window.

They do expect 2 or 3 issues with Garmin each year and Garmin kindly delivers on the expectations.

Australian Phone App with tracking

Here in Oz, we have a free app (Deckee) that does what the OP is asking for, works on my android tablet which I also run Navionics on, plus my android mobile phone.
Memorises all trips and shares current trip (while underway) with family and friends, also shows other members of the deckee community on the charts, has navigation warnings (like reported tree trunks floating on our local river currently), plus a couple of navigation beacons not working.
It shows a 'heatmap' which is the routes used by local boats that are known and are clear of shallow reefs, obstructions and deep enough to navigate safely.
Has lots of other very useful features (International AIS tracking), trip planning that incorporates your vessel details, localised weather forecast and sea conditions, then recommends if it is safe for you and your vessel to do the planned trip in the conditions today/tomorrow etc. Not sure I need all that, but some inexperienced/ new boaters certainly will.
It was recommended by our government marine transport licensing and safety department and seems so far to be very useful and jam packed with features. For free how could I go wrong???

I've been using Blue Boat Log to map our trips so that those that don't follow us on Facebook or Instagram have a way to see our trips, but we realize in this last big trip down the west coast when we were on the water for several days that it doesn't show us until I close out the trip, so I'm thinking about switching to a different boat log app.

Does anyone have any recommendations of something they use that allows followers to track them real time? Does it allow manual entry on pass trips? Etc... Thanks

Capt Ray of Shellerina:
I am surprised as heck that NEBO has not come up in the responses.
Free using your smart phone.
But VERY reliable performance is available with the hardware appliance that his both SIM card and GPS receiver inside the appliance that costs $11 per month with a modest initial cost to begin $120 or so. You get a unique hyperlink to share with friends and family for 24x7x365 tracking a daily trip reports including MAP.

NEBO is not a navigation tool, but it is a fantastic social networking tool to keep track of folks cruisers know or helping friends and family to keep track.
https://trackme.nebo.global/?link=1J8HOW8F8H77V1HMMWOB13SEW27

+
If you wanna take it to another level the WYZE $40 cameras can give your family the ability to see fore and aft cameras in real time ... if you have a hot spot on board.

We also use inReach. Noforeignland is another way to have friends track your boat.

Boat tracking

I used an inReach for our 8yr Loop and never had a hiccup.

The unit provides 2 fold capabilities.

First, it is a tracker. I have the 10min track since we travel 30-40mi/day at 8mph. When I start our day I start the inReach and 30+ people are notified that we are getting underway with a link to our map. I have some who follow us daily.

Second, it is also an SOS device. IF TSHTF you press the SOS button and you will have help.

Third, due to the nature of the unit you are also filing a Float Plan with those you have notified.

When we arrive at our destination I send another message that we have arrived. Both messages are free. There is a third free message that I have which states we are having a problem, thankfully I've never needed it, and that I'll notify when corrected.

Finally, as long as you maintain your inReach account your track is kept by Garmin. Spot doesn't do that.

If you'd like to see my track, let me know.

We are a Garmin boat and can't speak highly enough about their products.

Any questions, let me know.

Good luck in your travels.

We've used FloatHub for a couple of years. Now, technically it’s a boat monitoring device, so probably more than what you’re looking for. You can send a location sharing link to friends and family so they can view your position real-time. When it comes to system monitoring, it’s pretty basic compared to some of the more sophisticated options on the market, but it’s perfect for our needs (voltages, bilge pump status, temperatures, etc.). They sell them with or without integrated cellular capabilities.

https://floathub.com/about

For those who have starlink or some other suitable internet connection. Google’s Track my Trip is free.

Capt Ray of Shellerina:
But VERY reliable performance is available with the hardware appliance that his both SIM card and GPS receiver inside the appliance that costs $11 per month with a modest initial cost to begin $120 or so. You get a unique hyperlink to share with friends and family for 24x7x365 tracking a daily trip reports including MAP.

NEBO is not a navigation tool, but it is a fantastic social networking tool to keep track of folks cruisers know or helping friends and family to keep track.

+1 for NEBO with the NEBOLink connection.

Capt Ray of Shellerina:

+
If you wanna take it to another level the WYZE $40 cameras can give your family the ability to see fore and aft cameras in real time ... if you have a hot spot on board.

Does Nebo track offshore when no cell signal? In other words can track be sent via an IP address such as starlink?

Does Nebo track offshore when no cell signal? In other words can track be sent via an IP address such as starlink?
You can run Nebo from a phone, which can use SL for internet. There's no need to install their hardware to use the service.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'll be doing some more research into all the ideas. I had looked into noforeignland a little bit, but didn't deep dive into it. Not sure if I'm ready to commit more $$ for inreach or nebo.. or such.. though the thought of not having to remember to push the tracking button is appealing. But we've already poured so much $$ in at this point (outfitting to be on the hook and new electronics).. just seems silly to put more in just for this. I'm thinking at this point people are going to just going to have to just track us AIS when it's on and wait for me to get the logs up if it's not. But I'm going to look for the future and check on these out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom