Recently replaced shower sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
During my holding tank hose replacement project I noticed that my shower/ac sump decided to stop working. On inspection, I have decided that it should be replaced. Current sump has Rule 800gph pump and Sure Bail float switch, both look pretty old. Any suggestions from folks that have recently replaced sump box systems and are happy with their choice of system?
I want an automatic system as the a/c condensate drain is plumbed into sump along with the shower. Of course, hoses running to box are old too and I'd prefer not to replace those as shower drain is not accessible.

My boat came with the Whale Gulper 220 & Sump solution from the factory. I have my A/C condensate plumbed into it. It has a below waterline discharge with a vented loop. It has worked well for me the last 12 years. The only complaint I have is that the "digital" water-level sensor in the sump needs to be wiped clean of grease and slime every month or so (assuming daily living on the boat). You will know when you need to do this, as the pump will come on erratically (i.e. when it doesn't really need to) and sometimes will not shut off. I think this drained my 12v battery once. I have considered replacing it with a traditional float switch - but they have their own risks and problems. Note: The commonly stocked size for the Whale sump is 8 liters. I found that it also existed in 16 liter size and switched mine out a few years ago. I would recommend the 16L size if you have room for it, as the pump comes on less frequently (which matters in my boat, because I can hear it when it comes on).

I had a new plastic sump made and put a Whale Gulper IC in it. Have had several of the pumps in different boats and they have always worked well.

I had an old rule sump in my last boat and had lots of trouble with it. Ended up putting a remote sure pump to pull the water out.
When I replaced it during a refit I saw rule had redesigned the whole thing. I decided to give it a try as it had pretty good reviews. We ended up selling the boat a year later so I don’t know what the long term reliability is, but it lasted me a year live aboard service with zero issues.
Certainly there are better systems, but there are also “good enough” systems. This was good enough for what I needed.

Whale 320

I replaced both of our shower sumps with Whale Gulper 320's. The aircon drains also go to them.

Attachments

• fwd shower pump 2.jpg
    fwd shower pump 2.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 46
ours uses a gulper and a water witch switch in the sump.

the switch has no moving parts and is far superior to the float switch models for this application.

once a year clean the contacts off, usually when cleaning out the sump

For the Gulper use a hose and pickup tube made out of pvc. You can then easily lift out the pick up tube to clean when necessary. I mounted the Waterwitch switch to the the pvc pickup tube. Works like a charm.

The only complaint I have is that the "digital" water-level sensor in the sump needs to be wiped clean of grease and slime every month or so (assuming daily living on the boat).

That is curious. I have the non sump version of the Gulper, and have never cleaned the sensor. Going on three years now, with several months spent aboard each season.

My Gulper has the smart sensor in the remote pickup. I have never had to clean it.

Despite a deep dislike of "flipper"switches, I have one in the shower sump actuating a small bilge pump, (touchwood) it works perfectly. Easily inspected,beneath a lift out stainless steel drain plate underfoot in the shower. Perhaps ease of cleaning helps longevity.

That is curious. I have the non sump version of the Gulper, and have never cleaned the sensor. Going on three years now, with several months spent aboard each season.
Just to be clear, the "digital" switch I'm talking about is as pictured below.
It could be that I'm not using the optimal dish soap??? I no longer dump pasta water down the drain - I toss it overboard. That helped reduce the number of times I had to wipe gunk off the switch. I take great care to not put any oils or grease down the drain, but nevertheless, washing dishes leads to a bit of grease/gunk ending up in the sump and on the switch.

Attachments

• Whale1.jpg
    Whale1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 27
Another vote for a whale gulper. I have a spare pump that needed to be put in service when the diaphragm failed. The replacement diaphragm, valves, and housing was $20 from Defender.com. For that little bit of money, I keep a spare. First diaphragm lasted 15 years.

Ted

I found the best solution was to wire a manual switch for the rule pump in the sump. When we go into the shower we flip on the switch and turn it off when we get out of the shower. The Rule sump box needs cleaning every year to remove hair or soap scum.

I installed a Johnson shower sump. It works. We were full time aboard for six years.

Back
Top Bottom