Raymarine Speed Tru-Hull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
I have a 2003 MS 400. The PO had Furno chart plotter and has a Airmar B744V transducer part # 31-289-3-01 installed but never had it connected.

I upgraded to Raymarine Axiom+ and newer RM auto pilot.

I currently have an older Raymarine ST 60 Depth instrument and want to upgrade to an i50 Tri Data instrument so I can get depth and speed on the same instrument. I will also need to install a new speed sensor.

Here is my question.
The Airmar B744V transducer part # 31-289-3-01 is mounted on a v shaped fairing block. Because I might need to install a new transducer I was looking for one that also used the fairing block so I could remove the existing transducer and just install a new one WITHOUT having to remove the existing thru-hull fitting.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what I am trying to accomplish?

Just curious, but what is the advantage of installing a second instrument other than your Axiom MFD to tell you speed? Is it just an easy feature to add to the depth transducer, so there is no disadvantage to adding it?

Our 400 had a raymarine speed wheel through hull on it when I bought it, it was capped and not connected. I pulled it out, glassed over the hole and added a airmar shoot through transducer. It works fine for depth purposes, not as well for finding fish (I don't use this boat for fishing much). I just use the GPS for speed.

The GPS gives you speed over ground. The "speed wheel" gives you speed through the water. The difference is the current. It is not unusual for us to see two knots of current up here in the PNW.

Just curious, but what is the advantage of installing a second instrument other than your Axiom MFD to tell you speed? Is it just an easy feature to add to the depth transducer, so there is no disadvantage to adding it?

Our 400 had a raymarine speed wheel through hull on it when I bought it, it was capped and not connected. I pulled it out, glassed over the hole and added a airmar shoot through transducer. It works fine for depth purposes, not as well for finding fish (I don't use this boat for fishing much). I just use the GPS for speed.

As NWSeaDog just said, I'd like to see speed through water.

My 400 had a RM paddle wheel and I upgraded to a I50 TriData without having to upgrade the transducer. The thru-hull has a removable plug and I swap out the plug for the transducer when I'm going to use the boat. Besides speed through the water, it also provides sea temp, which is helpful when crossing the gulf stream. As a backup, I have an internal transducer attached to the hull. No hole required.

Thanks for the info. I understand wanting speed through the water for a sailboat but personally feel it has very little use for a powerboat, other than “wow, we must be in a 3 knot current.” Fun to see, for sure, but for me it wasn’t worth having a plastic through hull that seldom worked anyway.

Different strokes for different folks.

My 400 had a RM paddle wheel and I upgraded to a I50 TriData without having to upgrade the transducer. The thru-hull has a removable plug and I swap out the plug for the transducer when I'm going to use the boat. Besides speed through the water, it also provides sea temp, which is helpful when crossing the gulf stream. As a backup, I have an internal transducer attached to the hull. No hole required.
sailorskip do you recall the tru-hull you have? Is it bronze? My existing is. And from what I've learned, I should be able to remove the existing transducer and sway it out with the correct unit.

I have a 2003 MS 400. The PO had Furno chart plotter and has a Airmar B744V transducer part # 31-289-3-01 installed but never had it connected.

I upgraded to Raymarine Axiom+ and newer RM auto pilot.

I currently have an older Raymarine ST 60 Depth instrument and want to upgrade to an i50 Tri Data instrument so I can get depth and speed on the same instrument. I will also need to install a new speed sensor.

Here is my question.
The Airmar B744V transducer part # 31-289-3-01 is mounted on a v shaped fairing block. Because I might need to install a new transducer I was looking for one that also used the fairing block so I could remove the existing transducer and just install a new one WITHOUT having to remove the existing thru-hull fitting.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of what I am trying to accomplish?

I am in the middle of a very similar situation. I have a B744V also, different part number. I think part numbers are different for what equipment they were designed to be hooked up to. Mine was for Raymarine yours was maybe for Furno. I'm also dumping my ST60's. I have wind, boat speed, and depth in the main cabin and a multigauge on the fly. I was looking at different i50 gauges also but the tech I am working with suggested the i70. So I can get all data on one gauge.

I also installed the Axiom's last year. I like how you can set your screen up to your liking so I have depth always visible on my chart view.

So the B744V is a triducer and you can get speed, depth, and temp from it. Maybe you have a plug in yours since it was not being used but you can get a paddle wheel for it and just swap it out. BTW, I have talked to Airmar on the phone and they are really helpful. So I'm fairly sure the B744V transducer is compatible with the i70 - I'm not there yet- I am mid project. If you stick with the i50's make sure the transducer will work. I think I looked at the Raymarine manual online for a list of compatible transducers.

If you are lucky enough to use your B744V you might have to cut the connector off ( b/c it was not originally for a Raymarine product). But I remember researching a splicing connector that you might need/use so that you can use it for your Axioms.

My tech also had me purchase another piece of equipment , an iTC-5. I am also interfacing, (if that's the right word) my AIS and VHF's with my AXIOM's. I have some old stuff and some new stuff. I knew it was more than I wanted to figure out so that is why I hired someone to help me. Sometimes you need 2 people to pull cables too.

I am no expert here so take this all with a grain of salt but maybe I have given you something to think about. There are smarter TF'er here and hopefully you can get to where you are comfortable. Good luck.

I am in the middle of a very similar situation. I have a B744V also, different part number. I think part numbers are different for what equipment they were designed to be hooked up to. Mine was for Raymarine yours was maybe for Furno. I'm also dumping my ST60's. I have wind, boat speed, and depth in the main cabin and a multigauge on the fly. I was looking at different i50 gauges also but the tech I am working with suggested the i70. So I can get all data on one gauge.

I also installed the Axiom's last year. I like how you can set your screen up to your liking so I have depth always visible on my chart view.

So the B744V is a triducer and you can get speed, depth, and temp from it. Maybe you have a plug in yours since it was not being used but you can get a paddle wheel for it and just swap it out. BTW, I have talked to Airmar on the phone and they are really helpful. So I'm fairly sure the B744V transducer is compatible with the i70 - I'm not there yet- I am mid project. If you stick with the i50's make sure the transducer will work. I think I looked at the Raymarine manual online for a list of compatible transducers.

If you are lucky enough to use your B744V you might have to cut the connector off ( b/c it was not originally for a Raymarine product). But I remember researching a splicing connector that you might need/use so that you can use it for your Axioms.

My tech also had me purchase another piece of equipment , an iTC-5. I am also interfacing, (if that's the right word) my AIS and VHF's with my AXIOM's. I have some old stuff and some new stuff. I knew it was more than I wanted to figure out so that is why I hired someone to help me. Sometimes you need 2 people to pull cables too.

I am no expert here so take this all with a grain of salt but maybe I have given you something to think about. There are smarter TF'er here and hopefully you can get to where you are comfortable. Good luck.

Thank you for your response. Since my post here is what I've learned. The B744V is the part that actually goes through the hull. On my boat and I suspect the same on yours its a bronze thru-hull that is a minimum 6.25" long. That's because of the balsa wood core hull. Raymarine requires a bronze thru-hull on wood hull boats.

Then inside of that is the transducer. You mentioned that I probably could use my existing transducer I have except that Raymarine will not warranty the i50 Tri-Data head if it were to get damaged from using another transducer and for the almost $1000.00 2 heads cost, its not worth the gamble.
I also found out that Raymarine makes a transducer part # A26403-Speed/Depth/Temperature- tri-ducer that includes the bronze thru-hull fitting. I believe the difference with the new thru-hull and the one I currently have is the ability to remove the transducer with very little water intrusion. (Self sealing) Not the case with the one I currently have installed.

As far as your installation I question the need for the iTC-5. That is usually needed when you use an analog transducer connected to a newer Seatalkng system. I guess if you are using an older wind instrument and an older depth and speed transducer you might need it.

Thank you for your response. Since my post here is what I've learned. The B744V is the part that actually goes through the hull. On my boat and I suspect the same on yours its a bronze thru-hull that is a minimum 6.25" long. That's because of the balsa wood core hull. Raymarine requires a bronze thru-hull on wood hull boats.

Then inside of that is the transducer. You mentioned that I probably could use my existing transducer I have except that Raymarine will not warranty the i50 Tri-Data head if it were to get damaged from using another transducer and for the almost $1000.00 2 heads cost, its not worth the gamble.
I also found out that Raymarine makes a transducer part # A26403-Speed/Depth/Temperature- tri-ducer that includes the bronze thru-hull fitting. I believe the difference with the new thru-hull and the one I currently have is the ability to remove the transducer with very little water intrusion. (Self sealing) Not the case with the one I currently have installed.

As far as your installation I question the need for the iTC-5. That is usually needed when you use an analog transducer connected to a newer Seatalkng system. I guess if you are using an older wind instrument and an older depth and speed transducer you might need it.

Update on the transducer.

I finally installed the i50 Tri-Data instruments and did connect the transducer that was already on the boat from the previous owner at the suggestion of a Raymarine tech. The depth reading worked, the speed and temp were intermittent. I emailed Airmar about the issue and they suggested I install a repair kit they made for the B744V transducer.

The part number is B744V-INS-JB. Its a Speed/temp insert designed to replace the existing speed sensor.

With the cost of $135 vs a new transducer at $495 I thought I'd give this a try.
I haven't gotten it yet but am confident this will fix the speed and temp sensors.

I finally installed the i50 Tri-Data instruments and did connect the transducer that was already on the boat from the previous owner at the suggestion of a Raymarine tech. The depth reading worked, the speed and temp were intermittent. I emailed Airmar about the issue and they suggested I install a repair kit they made for the B744V transducer.

The part number is B744V-INS-JB. Its a Speed/temp insert designed to replace the existing speed sensor.

With the cost of $135 vs a new transducer at $495 I thought I'd give this a try.
I haven't gotten it yet but am confident this will fix the speed and temp sensors.

This is pretty much what I am doing or trying to do also. When I connected the old existing B744V to the system (via a new Raymarine cp370) I could only get depth. Airmar told me about the insert, in my case B744V-INS-RAY. When I connected it I still could not get speed but could get temp. Baffled I started another TF thread! Later after many calls to Raymarine and Airmar it was decided that I send back my CP370 to test. I just found out this morning that indeed it was bad and I'm getting a new one covered by warranty. So hopefully this takes care of the problem and I can move on to the next boat project.

In reference to my ITC-5, yes I am using it with an older wind transducer.

Good luck to us both!

My insert did not work even with a replaced CP370. Just curious if yours worked?

My insert did not work even with a replaced CP370. Just curious if yours worked?

I was reading another post about this same part and he said he also experienced it not working. He sent it back under warranty.

I plan on testing BEFORE I run the wire. If its defective, I'll return for another.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom