Raymarine/Airmar electronics issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
Trying to install a replacement speed/temp insert (B744V-INS-Ray). My original paddlewheel for boat speed never worked as long as I owned the boat. Original triducer is the B744V. The new paddlewheel has a cable attached to it which must be spliced into the old original cable. Original paddlewheel didn't have a cable attached to it. The cable from the transducer feeds into a CP370 digital sonar module.
Trouble is I can not get the speed to indicate. I just get a set of dashes on my i70 gage or my Axiom MFD. I do get depth, which is from the original triducer. I also get temperature form the new transducer.
Raymarine gave me a procedure to test the paddle wheel and it checks ok. I also have checked continuity of the cable wires to the CP370- all 5 good.
When you go into the Axiom and find/select where your data is coming from for depth you can select/find the CP370. When you do the same for speed it is blank. It's like it can not recognize the CP370 and thus my issue.
I've had several conversations with Airmar and Raymarine. I have tried a new insert from Airmar (iMarine). Raymarine had me take out 2 old converters and replace them with 5 way connectors. So far no luck so thought I would throw it out here before I again call Raymarine next week.
This is a tough one.

Following.

I also have a GB42 with Raymarine and Airmar transducer and . . . no speed display.

That is indeed strange, with the B744V to CP370 to Axiom it should work. Sure that the cable is not broken anywhere ?

Following.

I also have a GB42 with Raymarine and Airmar transducer and . . . no speed display.

Hi Nick! I am guessing you and I are not the only ones with this issue. I don't know the story but I'm guessing the speed side of original B774V's didn't work out for what ever reason. Ideally you could have just replaced the paddle wheel insert and have things fixed. But when I inquired with Raymarine they said the insert, B744V-INS-RAY, with the attached cable, was now the fix. I thought great, this is better than ripping out the old transducer from the hull.
We shall see.

That is indeed strange, with the B744V to CP370 to Axiom it should work. Sure that the cable is not broken anywhere ?

Yes sir. After checking and re-checking the connections and bench testing the paddlewheel I thought yes maybe the cable is bad. There are 5 wires and continuity checked good on all 5.

After many more calls to Raymarine and Airmar it was suggested that I send back my new CP370 to Raymarine for a check. Just found out this morning that it was indeed defective and I'm getting a new one, covered by warranty.

I have a question and just wondering why use the paddle wheel. Other than to detect water flow along the hull.

A GPS will give you true SOG. In other words, what will the wheel do that the SOG reading will not?

It will show the effect of wind and current on your boat speed. If, for example, you show 8 kts SOG but 10 kts STW (speed through water) you know you're fighting a 2 kt current. If you don't boat in an area with strong tidal flows that may not be of much interest, but it can be handy for timing passages and efficiency.

I have a question and just wondering why use the paddle wheel. Other than to detect water flow along the hull.

A GPS will give you true SOG. In other words, what will the wheel do that the SOG reading will not?

Current, as Steve says. I used gps speed for the first 3 years I had the boat. The paddle wheel never worked but it was there. Finally got around to fixing it (which includes the water temp). I guess if it wasn't there in the first place I doubt if I would have installed it being most of my boating is in the Great Lakes. I also have a wind indicator and I bet many don't. I'm a former sailor. I like the info.
Thanks for the replies.

Got my new CP370 replaced by Raymarine under warranty. I thought great, my problems are over! Connected it back up and got the same results as before. Called Raymarine and they want me to send in the CP370 again. I have my doubts this set up will ever work. So I sent back the CP370 yesterday (no skin off my back, its free) along with the paddlewheel insert and specific instructions to use them together with an Axiom MFD.
If it doesn't work this time I'll give up and be satisfied I have GPS speed. I've invested too much of my time on this issue. I have other projects to tackle before May launch.

Back
Top Bottom