Ray McCormack Sunseeker 54 delivery to Hawaii currently underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcs

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Weston Merrit
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
Apologies if I missed another thread already started on this.

There is a guy named Ray delivering a Sunseeker 54 to Hawaii right now. He is say 1/3rd of the way there. There is some interesting weather coming out there, models say 16-20ft at 12 seconds.

He has an AIS onboard (MMSI 338197869) which is sending occasional satellite pings for those using the paid version of marinetraffic, etc. with access.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ai...:6406223/mmsi:338197869/imo:0/vessel:LEI_LANA

Latest postition and course:

Position Received: 2023-12-13 10:04 pm MyT (UTC -8) 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
Latitude/Longitude: 24.9227° / -130.0261°
Speed/Course: 7.2 kn / 257 °

There is a whole long thread over at https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/threads/boat-bum-gal-sinks-on-first-baha-ha-ha-leg.244369 about this, as Ray is just fresh off sinking someone's boat on the way to Baja.

I was curious what some of the folks here with powerboat ocean crossing or other relevant experience might think of this endeavor.

My understanding is the boat put on 1300 gals of diesel in bladders to augment the 500 gals of diesel she carries so she carries 1800g of diesel for the 2300 nm trip. I'm a bit skeptical this boat with tiny rudders will run at 0.8 gal/nm including generator run time in open water, but I'm told the Capt has done timed fuel-burn trials to arrive at the necessary fuel. This particular model has a toy garage which is where the bulk of the fuel is stored. Rest is in midships guest stateroom.

This is the second attempt for this crossing. First one ended west of Catalina island when the boat started taking on water due to failure of an engine raw water hose.

The captain, Ray McCormack, was the person in charge of Boat Bum Gal, a Nicholson 38 sailboat. Boat was lost as she entered Turtle Bay. According to the owner who was aboard, they were following the course Ray had plotted out which includes following the 10-meter line to cut the corner into the anchorage.....at 1am at night. This brought them right through a well charted rocky point. The track line was captured by a nearby boat - see attached. Scuttlebutt is this is not the first boat lost while under this captains command, but that may be rumor.

As a past delivery skipper, there is no way I'd accept this delivery. I delivered one Sundeeker from Seattle to San Francisco and while it was a good boat and a decent sea boat, it's just not designed for more than about 500 nm range. 2300 nms at 6.5 kts is a good 14 days, well beyond reliable weather windows. The seasonal weather window was more favorable for it's original departure. If the boat did indeed leave with 1800 gals. I'm surprised. I would want at least 2500g, though that is a lot of weight and I wonder what that does to the trim of the boat. Not to mention handling - the boat is designed to run at 25 kts, not 6. Dinner-plate sized rudders means the autopilot will work overtime.

I wish all aboard well. They need some luck to pull this off. If ever a boat was a candidate for shipping vs delivery, this was it. Wonder why the owner chose delivery?

Peter

BBG Track.jpg

BBG Sunk.jpg

Last edited:
There is some interesting weather coming out there, models say 16-20ft at 12 seconds.

BTW - appears he headed in a southerly direction before bending west. This appears to have been either well-informed, wise or lucky - I do not see the heavy weather you mention. He appears to be skirting to the south of it. Guessing he has a professional weather router. Attached is approx Windy visual for mid-day tomorrow with my best guess of his location.

That said, he's well off the rhumbline by heading south so it's a longer route - further to my curiosity about fuel capacity.

Peter

Sunseeker WX.jpg

I've been following this on SA for a while, the guys over there are pretty unfiltered and they have been dumping on the "captain" Ray pretty hard for weeks since he was involved with the sinking of Boat Bum Gal. I can't imagine why they wouldn't ship that boat vs. take it over on it's own bottom. Anyway, this is a terrible boat for the conditions in HI if you ask me so not sure why they would want to take it over in the first place.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't ship that boat vs. take it over on it's own bottom. Anyway, this is a terrible boat for the conditions in HI if you ask me so not sure why they would want to take it over in the first place.
I have run into plenty of skippers whom smugly believed their boats to be way more capable than what they actually are. To the penny, all of them have been in conditions they thought were far worse than they likely were. Nothing beats the bragging rites of taking this boat to HI on her own bottom.

Last edited:
Sunseeker is a decent builder with a pretty high number of boats afloat. I have to wonder if anyone consulted them. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this type of bladder-required delivery is not unprecedented (though CA to HI seems extreme). I know Horizon Yachts have these types of deliveries from time to time.

Saying Sailing Anarchy is 'unfiltered' is perhaps the under-estimation of the year.

Peter

Last edited:
sounds like he is the captain to hire if you want to collect insurance money. just make sure you are not on board

BTW - appears he headed in a southerly direction before bending west. This appears to have been either well-informed, wise or lucky - I do not see the heavy weather you mention. He appears to be skirting to the south of it. Guessing he has a professional weather router. Attached is approx Windy visual for mid-day tomorrow with my best guess of his location.

That said, he's well off the rhumbline by heading south so it's a longer route - further to my curiosity about fuel capacity.

Thanks for the comments. He definitely did take a more southerly course.

Below is what I'm seeing forecast for Sat evening for their projected location, hopefully I'm wrong.

Attachments

• Windy__Create_Animation.jpg
    Windy__Create_Animation.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 38
lwarden;1207912Anyway said:
You’re so right, Hawaii is not a cruisers paradise, has very limited marina facilities and not much for idyllic anchorages.
The open transom arrangement is worrisome, especially when overloaded with extra fuel and supplies for two weeks at sea.
Also they’re shooting for a landfall at Hilo to refuel before moving on to Honolulu, a big mistake since Hilo does not have a fuel dock and the only marina is inside a low fixed bridge.

sounds like he is the captain to hire if you want to collect insurance money. just make sure you are not on board

It's easy to be critical ,but this guy is out there doing it while the rest of us sit on the couch
And just for the record I would not want to be on that sunseeker heading for Hawaii either

Last edited:
It's easy to be critical ,but this guy is out there doing it while the rest of us sit on the couch...

For the record, I was in the anchorage at Turtle Bay when Ray was "out there doing it" aboard Boat Bum Gal. Sandra, the owner and a liveaboard, lost everything while Ray was following the 10-meter line.

Peter

For the record, I was in the anchorage at Turtle Bay when Ray was "out there doing it" aboard Boat Bum Gal. Sandra, the owner and a liveaboard, lost everything while Ray was following the 10-meter line.

Peter

So apparently the owner did not hear about his prospective delivery captain's whoopsie? Due diligence not at its finest (unless like was said he is the perfect man for "The Job").

So apparently the owner did not hear about his prospective delivery captain's whoopsie? Due diligence not at its finest (unless like was said he is the perfect man for "The Job").

Praising the captain on a high risk delivery (Sunseeker) for "being out there doing it" while dissing an owner whose boat he sunk for trusting his credentials?

From what I understand, McCormack has done a great job on Facebook. Including deleting and banning anyone who isn't complimentary. The owner of BBG has publicly kicked herself in the arse for believing him.

Interesting.

Peter

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. m 30. Yes, it IS easy to be critical given the style of boat and the track record of the "Captain". Sure that trip can probably be made but NOT on my dime or with my blessing. An over abundance of hubris IMO.

I read some of the post on the other forum for the entertainment, I believe I read he was doing this delivery for free. Not sure if its true or not.

I read some of the post on the other forum for the entertainment, I believe I read he was doing this delivery for free. Not sure if its true or not.

If you mean delivery of Boat Bum Gal, Ray did it for expenses. Their accounting of the arrangements differ. According to Ray, owner reached out to him and asked if he'd be available for no charge. According to the owner, she had followed Ray via Facebook for a while and he reached out to her with the proposition when she posted she was getting ready for the Baja Ha Ha. I guess he thought it would be a good story. She has consistently had the ring of truth to me so I tend to believe her, but makes no difference what I believe.

Latitude 38 magazine, sponsor of the Baja Ha Ha, had a long article on this months issue, including a reprint of Rays Facebook post describing his actions and description of BBG, essentially describing her as a near derelict boat which the owner vehemently denies.

I do hope the trip to Hawaii goes well. But on my mind the job of a delivery skipper is to reduce risk to an acceptable level. Not sure that's possible with this boat and that distance. To the extent risk can be minimized, not sure this skipper is the right person for the job.

Peter

Does this delivery skipper have a well known/documented delivery history?

Last edited:
I can only relate third hand information. Boat Bum Gal is not his first total loss. He has had multiple major incidents. However. He has done a good job of scrubbing his Facebook page of any negative comments. He apparently has over 5000 followers and is known to find jobs through their posts, just as he apparently did with BBG.

The owner of BBG is doing her best to make sure his name can't be glossed over by future clients doing a simple Google search

Peter

Folks, when it comes to accidents like Boat Bum Gal, I always give it time to shake-out before pointing fingers. Try to find teachable moments. But not this time - frankly, when I read Ray McCormack's account of the accident, I felt his own words sunk him.

Here is the full text of his Nov 6th 2023 Facebook post - I added the RED highlight as this was what really nailed his coffin shut for me:

On October 29 2023 I was contacted by the owner of BoatBumGal to help sail her boat from San Diego to Le paz while joining the baja ha ha fleet. We mutually agreed that I would not be paid, but that she would pay for my expenses. We also discussed about the condition of the boat, and my position on the boat as being the most experienced individual on board out of the three of us.

Flew down to the boat on Monday morning October 30, after arriving to the boat I could see that this late 1970’s boat had marginal maintenance. Just as an example the tricolor light was wired into the running lights, the led deck lights where wired into the steaming light, and the AC charger on board had a 110 male plug that was plugged into a 110 plug box and was not on any breaker. I figured that with traveling the baja ha ha fleet there is safety in numbers. So we departed later that day around dusk, about 9 pm we saw the house bank run down to 10.5 volts, so turned the boat around and we went back into port.

Next morning, we investigated batteries, regulator, and alternator. Found the charging post on the alternator was severely corroded and the main feed line terminal had basically fallen apart. After re-crimping the cable, cleaning all terminals and post on the alternator, we reassembled and finally got over 14 volt charging at the batteries while engine was running. We tried departing again around 5 pm on October 31.

As we headed down the coast we saw that the auto pilot would make 30 degree turns with out notification, this was a sign that the battery voltage was compromised. We proceeded to get out the portable generator and hook it up to shore power for charging batteries. Also, we found that when putting the auto pilot in standby mode the hydraulic pump would not release the helm for 20 seconds.

Around 10 pm on November 2nd I awoke to the boat healing over from wind. Got up and found that we had an offshore breeze blowing about 22 knots. Eased the sails and made the decision to turn inland a bit to mitigate the wind conditions the boat was seeing. The sails and rigging on this boat were quite aged. The boom vang had already broke off the mast.

Our route had us going into the center of the entrance of turtle bay as noted by cruising guides, and this is what I have done over my last 4 times into turtle bay. The new plan was to run the 10 meter depth or 30 feet to get close to land allowing us to take the sails down. Usually when I deviate from my planned route I will drag my weigh points over to the new intended route, I did not do this which means I had no reference to the boat changing direction. Also, my coastal explorer stopped showing tracks for reference of the direction of the boat. I had a ticket out with rose point to try and address this, but this laptop is now in 40 feet of salt water.

At around 1 am we noted the battery voltage was dropping off again, so we started the generator but then the 110 breakers at the panel were tripping. We dragged out the extension cords to make it so the generator would be directly connected to the AC charger via that 110 male plug mentioned earlier. There was quite a bit of activity in the cockpit while this was going on and I suspect this is when the auto pilot made a turn, and I did not know about it. Suddenly the crew up on the rail says he sees rocks, and just then I sea the breaking water on rocks. Immediately I tried putting auto pilot in standby, but it would not disengage. So I reached for the gear shifter to slam it in reverse, but just as I touched it we slammed into a rock. She popped over the rock and laid over on her port side. Each swell that came by flipped her over to the other side as she moved farther up onto the rocks. Eventually we ended up on the port side again, and that is when I saw cabinetry moving down below and large amounts of water coming in. Bryan got on the radio and started making may day calls. It was high tide and the water was just starting to ebb, which dragged us off the rocks. We all put on our life jackets, Bryan went for the dinghy motor and gas, while I went to set the anchor. Eventually we all met at the back of the boat, the rail was just a few inches from the water. Got my leatherman and cut all the lines holding the dinghy and we worked our way forward to the bow. She slipped under and we fired up the dinghy motor and started heading toward the turtle bay pier. A fishing panga found us and gave us a ride to the pier, where were able to get a hotel for the night.

Next few days the turtle bay folks, and in particular Maria’s helped us out so that we can make our way home. This was a terrible tragedy, with the owner losing everything she has. I am thankful that we are all safe.

Many questions can be asked:
  • Should this boat have even made the trip?
  • Should we not have been close to that shore?
  • Should I have dragged my route over so that I had reference of direction?
I hope others will learn from this mishap; I know that I learn something
every time I go on the water.

For those interested, the Owner's account is described on Page 62 of this month's Latitude 38 HERE. I would cut/paste it here but cannot easily do so. If you read her account, she vigorously disputes Ray's characterization of the boat's condition. She claims she had all mechanical and rigging work reviewed by professionals, plus a recent survey of the boat.

Like I said, to my ears, McCormacks own words are what convinced me he was way off-base. Going to 10-meter line across any part of the Pacific Coast is just plain nuts, let alone a poorly charted area at 1am, with (according to heim - disputed by the owner) 22-kts of wind and a wonky autopilot. Let alone showing-up the morning of a 800nm delivery.

Peter

EDIT - To give some idea of the charts for this area - not very detailed, but clearly BBG was in an area it should not have been. Second larger view shows our track into Turtle Bay earlier that day.

BBG Chart.jpg

Entrance to Tutlle Bay.jpg

Last edited:
... Hawaii is not a cruisers paradise, has very limited marina facilities and not much for idyllic anchorages.

I've never been, but have been repeatedly reminded of this. I've heard about the mediocre diving and onerous anchoring fees required. This seems like one of those places which is wonderful to visit via land, but not by sea.

Perhaps this is just something to accept. I've lived in Vietnam, and have taken numerous tours via land and sea. It is certainly one of those countries that isn't worth the effort, or thousands of dollars in fees, to visit by boat. By land, Viet will be one of your life's highlights however.

Anyway, several of our TF members have cruised to Hawaii, and it would be interesting to hear their thoughts on why they went, what they came away from it with, and would they truly recommend the trip to others.

By all accounts the guy is incompetent, and doesn't know it. That's a very dangerous combination when commanding a boat. I hope they make it Hawaii.

It's easy to be critical ,but this guy is out there doing it while the rest of us sit on the couch

That statement is often made, in various forms. It's somewhat inspirational, but only at a high level.

It doesn't excuse substituting recklessness and a lack of preparedness in order to come across as adventurous and daring. There are cases of men in charge with this attitude who have left dozens of pleasure divers dead, crew sunk in Antarctica, additional skeletons on the decks of the Titanic, etc.

I suppose someone risking their own life is one thing, but there is absolutely no justification when it comes being entrusted with other's lives and property.

Bit of a rant, but I work in space tourism, and the amount of planning, attention and perhaps paranoia that goes into protecting tourists and customers when it comes to high risk activities is absolutely amazing.

I've never been, but have been repeatedly reminded of this. I've heard about the mediocre diving and onerous anchoring fees required. This seems like one of those places which is wonderful to visit via land, but not by sea.

Perhaps this is just something to accept. I've lived in Vietnam, and have taken numerous tours via land and sea. It is certainly one of those countries that isn't worth the effort, or thousands of dollars in fees, to visit by boat. By land, Viet will be one of your life's highlights however.

Anyway, several of our TF members have cruised to Hawaii, and it would be interesting to hear their thoughts on why they went, what they came away from it with, and would they truly recommend the trip to others.

That all makes sense to me. Traveling by boat lets us see different places and sometimes a different perspective on the same places. But not every place is possible or worthwhile to go by boat, same as there are places boaters go that others wouldn't, or only would get the full experience if bringing gear to be self sufficient instead of being tethered to civilization.

Curious,I searched Sunseeker boats are built in Dorset UK, but the company is Chinese owned since 2013, builds about 150 boats a year. Could have sworn they had a factory in Ispwich UK we saw last August, it must have been another brand.
Best of good luck to both owner and deliverer.

Quite the story on the sinking of boatbumgal. It’s hard to speak of the condition of the boat, or the qualifications of the people she had look it over. Certainly a boat that old will have some glitches, but based on the pictures, looked to be in reasonable condition.
But this “captain ray” is something else. I can’t for the life of me figure out why he wanted to run the 10 meter line.
Especially if he can’t even figure out what direction he’s going! Like most incidents of this type, it’s a compounding of bad decisions that leads to disaster.
I wonder how much prep was done to the sun seeker besides loading it with fuel bladders.

I believe I read he was doing this delivery for free. Not sure if its true or not.

Free delivery captain could have same consequences as a Free boat.

Both will get very expensive at the end.

I did Seattle to Honolulu a couple weeks ago on a powerboat—Starr, a very well travelled 77’ Northern Marine that is designed, built, and maintained for this type of travel. Even so, we had a few challenges along the way.

One was a net wrapped in the propeller and rudders. We were able to deal with it quickly and safely. A brief inspection with a GoPro tethered to a screen showed that we needed to dive. I keep the hookah rig and dive gear in the laz while on passage, so it took just a few minutes to get it all put together. A few more minutes for the diver to clear it and we were on our way. Does Ray have dive gear onboard? This was the third time we’ve had this unfortunate experience in the last year/15,000 miles around the North Pacific, so it’s not a particularly rare or far-fetched scenario.

The second was weather, which wasn’t even as bad as what it looks like Ray will have. We had 25-35 knots right on the beam for the last several days into Honolulu. This created really steep, closely spaced 10-12 foot seas with the occasional ~18 footer thrown in. We rolled to 42.4 degrees, filled with cockpit with water, and blew out the gasket on the one portlight without a storm plate. This was in a heavily ballasted, stabilized boat. How will the Sunseeker fare in similar or worse conditions?

Given the forecast and his latest position, I’d be heading way further south, but I doubt he has the range.

The fuel transfer plan seems marginal at best. He told me via FB that the only way to transfer fuel is via the deck fills. I’m not sure where the deck fills are located, but in rough water this seems like a recipe for disaster. This can go wrong in so many ways…contaminating the fuel with water, pumping (critically needed) fuel overboard, potentially even having a crew member go overboard if the fuel fills are in an awkward spot. They do have a backup hand pump at least.

What’s the steering and autopilot setup like? The Sunseeker probably has tiny rudders and a relatively light duty reversing autopilot pump. It’s all going to be working like crazy. I hope it holds together. Do they have backups for any (preferably all) of the steering and AP components, or at least an emergency tiller?

If they do make it to Hawaii, and I think there’s a decent chance they do, I think the boat will be much worse for the trip. It’s hard to imagine how they’ll transfer all that fuel from the interior without dripping at least a little bit somewhere. That smell is tough to get rid of. Not to mention the constant humidity (do they have diesel budgeted for the genset for A/C?), things breaking loose and flying, etc. I hope the owner went in with eyes-wide-open about the probable condition of the boat upon arrival. There will be weeks of cleanup and fixing, if they can find competent help in Hawaii.

Good post Retriever. One of the things in the back of my head is the aft deck awash. Looks like they will see some larger headseas in the next 48 hours - inverters are usually in the engine bays on boats like this. Even Nordhavns have had issues with inverters getting wet in the lazarette - often quite a bit of other electrical switching there too. Boats like a Sunseeker are not designed with the heavy weather forethought a Nordhavn is.

I sure hope we get s decent epilogue on how this story ends. I'm not looking to be smug, but I'd really like to know how this works out, good or bad. Possible this goes just fine. I'd like to know they too.

Looks like Saturday and Sunday will be challenging. Big seas from a low pressure well to north so thank goodness no heavy winds. Showing head seas for a day or so.

I still wonder about fuel range. He left with 0.8 gpm not including generator run time which seems really lean to me, especially since boats in this class frequently plan to run their genny 24/7 (often have no choice in order to keep their batteries up)

I'm looking forward to learning a bit here. Or having my fears validated.

Peter

Looks like they will see some larger headseas in the next 48 hours - inverters are usually in the engine bays on boats like this. Even Nordhavns have had issues with inverters getting wet in the lazarette - often quite a bit of other electrical switching there too.

Peter, good point about inverters drowning. We cooked a set of Multipluses sometime in the last couple of days to Hawaii. Luckily we have a redundant set in a different location and can also bypass inverters and run directly off gensets.

I still wonder about fuel range. He left with 0.8 gpm not including generator run time which seems really lean to me, especially since boats in this class frequently plan to run their genny 24/7 (often have no choice in order to keep their batteries up)

Thinking about it more, how is he even keeping track of fuel consumption? On long passages I’ve always kept track manually via fuel meters at the transfer manifold and into the day tank. I record hours, nm traveled, and gallons transferred and compare it with the electronic fuel flow meter, sight gauges, and past performance. I wonder if he has a meter somehwere in the transfer setup?

Thinking about it more, how is he even keeping track of fuel consumption? On long passages I’ve always kept track manually via fuel meters at the transfer manifold and into the day tank. I record hours, nm traveled, and gallons transferred and compare it with the electronic fuel flow meter, sight gauges, and past performance. I wonder if he has a meter somehwere in the transfer setup?

Question. What's your opinion on accuracy of engine monitors for fuel consumption? Theoretically, they should be spot-on. But in practice, my gut tells me they are barely within 10% accurate. But you have a ton more experience on modern engine with consumption controls.

I'd think the chance of this boat having a day-tank (really, a burn-tank) is near zero. Nordhavn didn't start adding them until the N40 round the world stunt 20 years ago. I seen to recall they arrived in Hawaii with something like 50g of diesel in their 900g tanks. Was a comfortable margin because of the burn tank allows very granular calculations.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom