Raw water strainer for freezer conversion project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
I tore out my old Grunert cold plate system. I am going to install a Frigoboat water cooled compressor ( Danfoss/Secop BD50) and evaporator in its place. The Frigoboat instructions call for a raw water pump with a strainer of 120 mesh. That seems pretty fine to me and it's proving difficult to find. At best I found only one strainer of 100 mesh. Just wondering if you have used this compressor and what your raw water is filtered to/mesh size.
Thanks.

120 mesh is equivalent to 125 micron, which is pretty small. If that's whats required, I would guess that you would need to do it in atleast 2 steps with a strainer and maybe a water filter cartridge like the pre-filter on a reverse osmosis water maker.

Ted

I have my Adler Barbour compressor hooked to a regular groco strainer. I think it’s like 50 mesh or something. Been that way for many years. 125 is pretty conservative, you won’t find that in a regular sea strainer. You can make the element yourself, or look for a wye filter with fine mesh to put inline if you think it’s important.

Thanks guys. I just think the 120 is an overkill. A quick search of mesh size required using a BD50 compressor comes up with 40 mesh. Incidentally, the Flojet pump used with this system also has a requirement of 40 mesh.
I too have a Groco strainer that will be used as a kind of primary strainer. That was what was used with the old Grunert.
I'll continue to research.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom