Rats!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a rat issue on my boat in St John, USVI. Those things were like house cats, and smart. I tried snap traps and sticky traps but they outsmarted both of them (I guess me too). Finally got an electric trap (battery operated). Got him on the first night. The body was almost 12" long. The nice thing about the electric trap, aside from actually working, was that there was no mess or angry, sticky rat to deal with. It kills them instantly by electrocution. Probably the most humane way, for anyone concerned about being humane to a rat.

Had an interesting run with a couple of pigeons who were living inside my dinghy on the flybridge. They got in under the cover by the engine. Dinghy has a dual floor…what a mess. Took 3 hours to clean and lots of wash, rinse repeat. Now have a net between cover and engine. It was gross cleaning up. Flying rats….

My coon cat drug into the house a still twitching eviscerated rabbit. WTF! Yelled at it and he drug it back out. Great cat, goofball and a sweety.

Hey Dad. Look what I got!!!

Speaking of critters making our boating lives difficult, today I removed the refrigerator to install an exhaust fan in the cabinet for better ventilation. As I was poking around I could feel something not quite right inside the air intake hoses that go out a vent panel on the outside of the hull. Something stiff and chunky. Pain in the neck, wasps had completely blocked both air intake hoses on the port side. No wonder that engine didn't feel quite right. Here's one of them, the second looked about the same. I've got two more on the starboard side but that means I have to remove a wall and a tv cabinet. 20230813_153138.jpg

Well I pulled two from the traps set out, then none two later.Im gone for a few weeks motorcycle adventure touring in the alps.. I will check in after my return.
Hollywood

Muddobbers

Speaking of critters making our boating lives difficult, today I removed the refrigerator to install an exhaust fan in the cabinet for better ventilation. As I was poking around I could feel something not quite right inside the air intake hoses that go out a vent panel on the outside of the hull. Something stiff and chunky. Pain in the neck, wasps had completely blocked both air intake hoses on the port side. No wonder that engine didn't feel quite right. Here's one of them, the second looked about the same. I've got two more on the starboard side but that means I have to remove a wall and a tv cabinet. View attachment 141426

Looks like what we call Muddobbers to me, harmless but make a real mess with their mud nests.

Back
Top Bottom