Power Washing ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Dave, I'll look into it too

I could wax the whole boat’s decks in about 20 minutes with Woody Wax and never had to get down on my knees.

Thanks again Dave. I killed my knees waxing the hardtop a couple years ago and then bought some flooring-type knee pads. I would be happy to never need them again!

I used a soft Shurhold brush on a pole to spread the wax. You can also spray it on the brush and brush it around then let it sit and then rinse it off. I am sure it doesn’t last as long as some other waxes but it is so quick and easy you can reapply it more often and still be ahead of the game.

I use gardening kneepads from Lowes all the time. They cost about $12 and I can bend them to fit down in the bilge. I must have 14 or 15 of them. Keep them everywhere I may be working.

Thanks Rich, good info. The Pemanon is actually a concentrate it sounds like. I was wonering why the exorbidant price, but now makes more sense. Question, do you use it on non-skid decks or would that make them slippery? Is it just the topsides (minus the decks) where you use it? Sounds like it might be good to use on the hardtop as well since getting up there and waxing with a buffer is getting old (or maybe that's just me getting old!) I use Awlcare on the hull. I find that during the season when the boat is in the water, an occasional scrub of the hull with Awlwash does a great job as well.

I spray it over the entire topside area because the only way to avoid the extensive non-skid areas would be to carefully wipe the smooth areas while ON MY KNEES (not!). I have not noted any issues with the non-skid being any less effective at its job. Between this stuff and the 210 isinglass cleaner, I have about got everything above the rubrail licked. Alwwash and Awlcare for the rest plus lifting the boat when it is not running covers ALL bases and makes life worth living. :)

When you guys say "spray" are you using a garden sprayer or just a household hand sprayer? I also discovered the 210 isinglass cleaner. I love it and very easy compared to IMAR "wax" I had been using.

When you guys say "spray" are you using a garden sprayer or just a household hand sprayer? I also discovered the 210 isinglass cleaner. I love it and very easy compared to IMAR "wax" I had been using.

Trigger spray bottle like a Windex bottle.

Thanks Rich, I'll give it a try this spring. Maybe Woody Wax too at some point. I'm kind of fanitical about keeping my boats looking good.

I could wax the whole boat’s decks in about 20 minutes with Woody Wax and never had to get down on my knees.

Is this the stuff? Which flavor do you use?

img-b.jpg

Sliders are an Inland / Great Lakes thing I guess. Apparently they don't like salt water, but leave your boat unattended for a couple weeks here in the Lakes and they completely take it over. Believe it or not, the damn things fly! They climb up in the trees and cast off on a strand of silk. No control of where they land but enough will land on a boat 1000 feet offshore on a mooring to cover it in webs and crap. They do eat mosquitos so not a totally bad thing...

Thanks Rich, I'll give it a try this spring. Maybe Woody Wax too at some point. I'm kind of fanitical about keeping my boats looking good.

I am fanatically lazy about it which is why I like the concept of this stuff plus the $46.000 Taj Mahall (which did not hurt property value a bit) I built out back to keep it coveread and lifted out of the wawa. :) And STILL the darned thing gets dirty, go figure.

Hmmm

Easy and often vs hard and rare.

Kinda liking that idea in theory.

Anyone tried it on the hull? Would be a lot easier for mid-season in the water work.

Sliders are an Inland / Great Lakes thing I guess. Apparently they don't like salt water, but leave your boat unattended for a couple weeks here in the Lakes and they completely take it over. Believe it or not, the damn things fly! They climb up in the trees and cast off on a strand of silk. No control of where they land but enough will land on a boat 1000 feet offshore on a mooring to cover it in webs and crap. They do eat mosquitos so not a totally bad thing...

no, we have that too. never heard them called sliders though. my marina is right next to a hillside. spiders will fly down on their webs all the time. not sure if it's a yearly thing when the nests pop open or what, but it's a pain for sure. i used to look up the stays on the sailboat and there were webs flying like pennants every couple of inches. then the spiders would take residence under the rub rail, or in the folds of the dodger. i kept a paint brush in a winch handle pocket just for sweeping them off. you have to watch them after you sweep them into the water cause they'll swim right back to the boat.

Hmmm…Anyone tried it on the hull? Would be a lot easier for mid-season in the water work.

Our divers used a big gas pressure washer, I’m guessing 2500-3000 psi to clean the running gear on boats in our marina. They used a short wand, maybe 6” with the tip on that. They’re full time professional bottom cleaners/salvage divers so I trusted them. The first time I thought they taking the paint off the hull and he laughed said no, it’s only for the running gear. Flat surfaces and the hull they still use a large scrapper or pads based on the type of paint and condition of the hull.

Don’t do it. I have a DeFever and it’s GRP. A power washer will find every void and gap your boat has. I have spent the last two years trying to fix all of the damage I did with a power washer. The cracks didn’t show up right at first, it took a while but they came through.
My boat looks like a green and white spotted tank. It’s been a complete nightmare. I’ve got to get it repainted now.

I bought a sunjoe electric unit from Amazon expecting it to last a season or 2. I'm on #3 and the thing has far surpassed all expectations. I have a gas monster p/w that I rarely use because the little electric unit is so easy to move,use,prime,store.. and it works great. It fits in the dock cart at the marina and to this point works as well as day 1.
Hollywood

Got the same unit, maybe 3-5 years old, works great. Stay away from window seals.

As mentioned, I don't like the power washer as it will force water into the smallest cracks and crevices and loosen and break out sealants. It's not worth the time savings in the long run. It's okay if you keep the spray away from all joints but that is mostly where the time and labor savings is. It's a lazy man's solution.

I bought one of these. I keep it onboard, it doesn't need any electricity, and puts out enough pressure that you still need to be careful. It comes with two tips, one direct and one fan. It does a very good job. The nice part is that I can stand on the deck and aim it up to the flybridge canvas/windows to rinse them off. Way easier than a handheld hose.

Amazon: Hydro Jet High Pressure Power Washer, Pressure Washer Gun with Garden Hose End, Glass Window Cleaning Sprayer Extendable Garden Car Water Washing, Hydrojet Washer Nozzle (Adjustable Type + Fan Type)

well-yes & no. Absolutely do not use on teak decks or brightwork but for FRP especially non-skid, it can help a bit, I own a 4400psi gas model which is far too powerful & heavy to use on the boat. My diver uses one underwater on the running gear and thruster tunnels only.
I have a Sun Joe SPX3000, electric which I use for quick jobs around the house and very occasionally on the boat. It is plenty powerful but more importantly, it uses the same interchangeable tips as the big machines. I think this is mandatory in order to control the spray pattern and water power. Of course if you have ever changed a tip, pulled the trigger and fired the new tip into the bushes, you will know to have a spare of the size you use! Less is more here and I mainly use a 40 deg or 25 deg tip. Even with electric models, finer tips can carve your initials in the deck if you aren't vigilant.

To be honest, it's just as easy to use soap and a soft brush. I have been very pleased with Stabright's PTFE non skid deck cleaner - a yard where I stored one year left half a bottle on board. That said, lots of boat yards just use a bucket & brush with Dawn on the smooth parts and soft scrub on the non-skid.

Thank you for all the answers - very informative.
My main problem is green moss(?) which covers decks, bulwarks and even Sunbrella top and covers. In BC climate every spring cleaning with soap and brush is a nightmare and cleaning non skid decks is almost impossible.

63e7c8873f0c452196e39b72cfd32f78.jpg

Ryobi power scrubber. A lot easier than a manual brush and much gentler than a pressure washer.

Power scrubber looks interesting, didn't know they existed. Do you use it to clean the hull while in the water from the deck of the boat? I always find that hard to do leaning over the rail with a scrub brush.

Last edited:
Power scrubber looks interesting, didn't know they existed. Do you use it to clean the hull while in the water from the deck of the boat? I always find that hard to do leaning over the reail with a scrub brush.

I'm thinking that's to reduce elbow grease on non skid decks.

I'm thinking that's to reduce elbow grease on non skid decks.

Nonskid is pretty easy to do for me with just a regular deck brush. Not a lot of effort required.

Power scrubber looks interesting, didn't know they existed. Do you use it to clean the hull while in the water from the deck of the boat? I always find that hard to do leaning over the reail with a scrub brush.

not sure about the ryobi scrubber to clean at the waterline or under water, but i have a similar scrubber that is designed for it. it also has hook and loop on the pad so you can attach just about anything to it. they used to advertise in the boating mags, but not sure if they do anymore. can't remember the name right now...

Power scrubber looks interesting, didn't know they existed. Do you use it to clean the hull while in the water from the deck of the boat? I always find that hard to do leaning over the rail with a scrub brush.

I bought it wash my pickup truck and then started using it on the boat, mainly cleaning the cockpit after a fishing trip. You can buy brushes of various stiffness depending on your usage.

It saves a lot of elbow grease.

Great machine and customer service! After one year, I experienced an operational issue. I contacted Karcher and they sent me a new $300.00 machine. They didn't want the older unit back. Short story: I disassembled the original unit and was able to fix the problem several months later. They insisted I keep the unit they sent me. Now I have two functional machines that I lend to fellow dock mates. Karcher invariably has garnered many additional sales from these acquaintances! P. S. They have several, well-designed accessories that make the cleaning almost enjoyable!

Thanks! Just what I need. Something else to salivate over! Lol
This adds credence to the adage that "the only thing separating men from boys is the cost of our toys" Honestly, my wife's convinced that the boating community is driving (thankfully) this country's economy! I can't wait until we're all converting to electric propulsion systems and repurposing our diesel engines and gensets to ground tackle!

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Back
Top Bottom