Port holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everything in Moderation

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dauntless 2.0
Another one for you. What advice do you have on cleaning these? Or should I replace? Thank you!

9EC05FB3-ECC5-411A-A9CC-09DCE07B9ED7.jpeg

A9928405-656D-40F5-ADBB-5B547D41AB87.jpeg

I replaced mine (1970 Willard 36) with Newfound Metals' ports. About $250/ea. Great upgrade.

Peter

NFM Port.jpg

Cover them with a paste made of vinegar and flour or lemon juice and flour.

Let it sit for 1 to 2 hours and wipe or rinse off with water.

Wipe with a dab of olive oil.

I just love the old look if I can keep them. Thanks

I'd keep them. As long as they are functional and not leak.

I thought about replacing the Taiwan made bronze ports on Sandpiper, a 1976 trawler. They looked similar to your green ones.

Until I watched several people removing bronze ports. Big hassel cutting through the sealant without damaging surrounding surfaces. And, removing the bolts or nuts require heat or cutting. Not a fun project.

If I had plastic ports, I'd replace them. Lot easier getting those out and there's nothing you can do to make plastic ports look better.

I cleaned the ports with the cleaning mixture referenced in post 3 and 15 years later they have a pleasant patina. Lot easier and a lot less expensive.

When we got our trawler our ports looked just like yours. I used a green scotch brite scrubbie and AutoSol a metal polish (not sure if it is sold in the US but you could try any metal polish for stainless). It's the abrasive scrubbie that will cut through the green/black. If you have a really stubborn spot you could use a very fine emery cloth. Once you get them clean the metal cleaner will keep them clean. Ours stayed shiny for the 12 years we owned the boat.

When we got our trawler our ports looked just like yours. I used a green scotch brite scrubbie and AutoSol a metal polish (not sure if it is sold in the US but you could try any metal polish for stainless). It's the abrasive scrubbie that will cut through the green/black. If you have a really stubborn spot you could use a very fine emery cloth. Once you get them clean the metal cleaner will keep them clean. Ours stayed shiny for the 12 years we owned the boat.
AutoSol is sold here, a very effective cleaner polish. I used it with furniture grade steel wool(yes I know, particles left will rust), it restored weathered metal to shiny and clean. Can be used to polish gelcoat so no problem getting it on surrounding f/g.
AutoSol comes in tubes, and larger more economical tubs, but our tub turned from a "cream" to a thin liquid over time, so beware.

AutoSol is sold here, a very effective cleaner polish. I used it with furniture grade steel wool(yes I know, particles left will rust), it restored weathered metal to shiny and clean. .
....and if wanted SS (316 & 434) steel wool is available online, Just checked Amazon and got a number of hits.

While overwintering in Turkey one year the boat next to us was having some grinding done on steel. We were not present at the time. When we got to the boat we had thousands of rust spots on our gelcoat :(

~A

Bronze wool is what I would use on bronze ports.

Or scotchbrite pads.

Indeed they look great!
Nice restoring something to its prior glory.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom