Pilot 30 List to Port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nveater

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pathfinder
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
So after I got my new to me Pilot to her dock- I filled the water tank and had a significant port list with the tank full. Yes the tank is on the port side along with the house bank of batteries. I assume other owners have encountered this- d I need to put some counterweights on starboard or are there other solutions ?

Thanks

Are you certain there's not a stbd side water tank? One tank on one side seems Ike really bad design...

Are you certain there's not a stbd side water tank? One tank on one side seems Ike really bad design...

Along with the batteries on that side too. Can you move the batteries?

You have a Pilot 1999 so probably the single fuel tank version, right? Hardtop or soft top? What size and how many house batts, and how far off center? My 2005 30-Pilot II has off-center waste tank and centerline water and two 90-gal fuel tanks which refuse to equalize on their own - had to modify the fuel return system. Other theories about the port list tendency of these boats include the extra weight of the galley equipment on that side, but I am not buying it.

Last edited:
Does it change when the water tank is empty and the holding tank is full? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a single water tank off-center to starboard and holding tank off center to port. Batteries are also on the starboard side. But normally my water tank is pretty full and holding tank pretty empty so I expect a small startboard list.

Check all the above first. But the, top everything off (fuel, water, etc) and check out your list. Add weight in the bottom and the high side. (Not just the high side). Don't get excessive on the high side or it will be over compensated when the tanks start getting lower.

So yes I am sure there is only one water tank the black water tank and hot water heater are to starboard. Single fuel tank which runs athwartships . Unfortunately there is really no other place on the starboard side to put the batteries- note that there a set of engine start batteries on starboard. The model I have is the hardtop. Is filling the water take having an effect ? I believe so because when I take out water the list decreases. I like Redhook98's approach and will try that- let you know what happens

Last edited:
So yes I am sure there is only one water tank the black water tank and hot water heater are to starboard. Single fuel tank which runs athwartships . Unfortunately there is really no other place on the starboard side to put the batteries- note that there a set of engine start batteries on starboard. The model I have is the hardtop. Is filling the water tak having an effect ? I believe so because when I take out water the list. I like Redhook98's approach and will try that- let you know what happens

I think you are headed in the right direction. As a procedure, you might try filling the fuel tank first with both water and waste tanks left empty. Then try filling either slowly to see where things go. What are you using to measure list? I glued a Lev-o-Gage like this at my helm once I had the boat dead level using two four-foot long levels at different locations to be sure - useful when using trim tabs to get level at speed. At rest it will show a bit of list with just ten gallons difference in my two fuel saddle tanks.

Attachments

• 51NsoLXgJ0L._AC_.jpg
    51NsoLXgJ0L._AC_.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom