Perkins t6.354 cooling issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ktan4156

Vessel Name
Sea hawk
Vessel Make
Californian boat company
Hello guys am new here but I received some advice a couple of times from you guys and it worked out great and I really appreciate it. I have two old school 1979 Perkins t6.534 that are considered obsolete. Today I had an issue with one ass the exhaust was leaking water. It blew the output hose to the main exhaust pipe that leads overboard and from the time that happen the high temperate I was getting went down immediately. I was trying to stop the leak but for some reason there is a restriction in the exhaust which causes the temperature to rise. My question is seeing that the blown hose caused the engine to cool better is it a good idea to buy pass the water the water going through the manifold and send it straight overboard through the exhaust pipe? Or will it hurt the engine?

You don't want to bypass the manifold. Look for an obstruction in the hose, downstream. If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like a critter may have built something in the exhaust hose. Or maybe he is still in there. Your watertight muffler may be obstructed or coming apart from the inside.

While troubleshooting remember that the final exhaust level is often below the waterline. simply removing sections of the exhaust hose at some point will allow a tremendous water inlet.

pete

Reactions: PNW
While troubleshooting remember that the final exhaust level is often below the waterline. simply removing sections of the exhaust hose at some point will allow a tremendous water inlet.
A great tip to keep in my notes, thanks!

you probably need to rod out ( clean out) the exhaust manifold and the inlet/ outlet passages. Those are raw water cooled and are known to rust.

Reactions: PNW
You need the water going out the transom exhaust to cool the exhaust hose. Burned hoses lead to mass flooding bad day!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom