perkins 6.354 n/a 135 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skipsmith

Vessel Name
labrador
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44 trawler
Have the above and need a valve cover gasket. called local Perkins supplier here in New Bern and they say they need serial # as well as year of the engine which is 1980. problem is, previous owner installed oversize cooling system and neither the surveyor i had on the purchase, a new surveyor or my diesel mechanic can find a serial # on either engine and think the oversize heat exchanger is covering up the plate. i would think that i should be able to get a valve cover gasket by just engine model and year or am i crazy. thanks in advance for suggestions.
Skip

Did you try Trans Atlantic Diesel? They will take an educated guess.
The serial number is just forward of the flat surface that the injection pump is mounted. It’s stamped so could be full of paint.

thanks Archie, will call them on Monday. Just replaced an injector pump and neither the mechanic or myself could find the plate. probably right in front of our eyes is why.

It's not on a plate, just stamped on the shelf the injection pump is mounted on. On mine the steel fuel lines going to and from the pump obscure it.

Here's where mine is located, under the steel fuel lines next to the injection pump. No plate, it's just stamped into the casting. Yeah, both engines need cleaning up and repainting.

Attachments

• IMG_20201019_141931969A.jpg
    IMG_20201019_141931969A.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 25
Here is where mine is located:
Sorry about the smear but this was taken prior to our purchase. Its the best pic I have showing the location relative to other stuff.

Attachments

• MonkSarasotaPt2 034.jpg
    MonkSarasotaPt2 034.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
thanks guys, got em!!!!!!

Looks like everyone here has given you the 411 on the serial number.

I've ordered 4 such gaskets over the last 5-6 years from S&W Diesel in Wilmington, CA 310-835-3155. They are basically the big west coast legacy Perkins dealer in much the same way that TAD/Transatlantic in Virginia is on the east coast.

I usually call S&W 1st and TAD second, even from Florida, just because I know the folks at S&W personally from a few years ago when I had a boat in their backyard.

But, both know the engines really well and can help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom