Perkins 165 mainship 34

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey folks,

I'm New to the trawlers and working on my first one. Came back from 4 months of flying and started to work on the boat.

The bilge was completely full of water right up the where the tranny meets up with the engine to the mounts. Looked like the engine was still out of the water for the most part aside from way less then a quarter on the under side. Hoping oil hasnt been affected, but i imagine that the water just up the the bottom should still be ok?

The batteries were left on and are now dead, so hoping to recharge them tomorrow and check the pump. They obviously werent maintained all winter and though i was told she would be shrink wrapped, it didnt happen.

I guess my main question is if there is water just up to the bottom of the engine on a perkins 165 turbo, should i suspect any foul play with water in the oil? Hoping to look this week, but thought i would throw some feelers out since im such a new guy. As im not a mechanic, going to crack a book and start learning asap.

Thanks, chris

Your engine is fine. Even if the water level got as high as the oil dipstick tube none likely got into the engine. Two simple ways to check. After you drain the bilge drain a bit of oil out of the pan. As long as the engine has not been run the water will be on the bottom of the pan, therefore the first thing out of the drain will be clear water. The other way to tell is to withdraw the dipstick and hold a match or lighter to the drop of oil on the bottom of the dipstick. If it "crackles and snaps" it has water in it.

If the engine has been run with water in it it will be a dirty milky whitish grey.

Probably be a good idea to perform the same tests to the transmission.

Your batteries, however, are shot.

pete

Fresh water or salt water? If salt water touched the starter or possibly got into the tyranny pull them and make sure no corrosion.
Also those oil pans are cast aluminum and worth their weight in gold if you have to buy a new one.
Wash with soap and water to get the salt off.
If in fresh water disregard my post.

Sea water or rainwater? If the oil pan was sitting in saltwater then you have to clean that up.
My Perky 135 has a steel pan.

Hey folks,

I'm New to the trawlers and working on my first one. Came back from 4 months of flying and started to work on the boat.

The bilge was completely full of water right up the where the tranny meets up with the engine to the mounts. Looked like the engine was still out of the water for the most part aside from way less then a quarter on the under side. Hoping oil hasnt been affected, but i imagine that the water just up the the bottom should still be ok?

The batteries were left on and are now dead, so hoping to recharge them tomorrow and check the pump. They obviously werent maintained all winter and though i was told she would be shrink wrapped, it didnt happen.

I guess my main question is if there is water just up to the bottom of the engine on a perkins 165 turbo, should i suspect any foul play with water in the oil? Hoping to look this week, but thought i would throw some feelers out since im such a new guy. As im not a mechanic, going to crack a book and start learning asap.

Thanks, chris

Maybe you need to find another hobby. Ignoring a boat in the water for four months isn't a good thing.

I would check the battery charger so you are able to keep the bilge pumps working. Then your engine won’t go under water again. Good luck, keep us informed. And we need photos...

Back
Top Bottom