One Pound Propane Tank Refill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A concientious "handy" boat owner who has owned boats most of his/her life or for at least 10 years, who does his/her own work and can afford the cost of maintenance parts and has stayed current in education is just as safe as the professional skipper.

Possibly safer since most proffesional skippers aren't invested in the boat under their feet like the boatowner.

maybe the exception...but not the rule...

the vast majority of boatowners I know never have heard of ABYC or remotely follow as closely as the core here.

The real point is that accidents usually have a reason. Why did it happen?

Most people continue to do things because the believe in their ability to stay safe.

Sure you don't HAVE to refill, but if you believe you have safe equipment and can do it safely, why not?

There are lots of people in China who will sell you a refill kit they claim is safe regardless of the canister manufacturers telling you it's not. Your choice of who to believe.

Hmmmmm...from their website...sure it could be false...like every other claim by every manufacturer....

"Certification

Made of steel, Flame King offers a complete line of portable propane cylinders. Flame King’s steel portable propane cylinders come in various sizes ranging from 1 lb. to 420 lb. for recreational, commercial, industrial and home applications. These cylinders are manufactured to Department of Transportation (DOT) or Transport Canada (TC) specifications in facilities that have a Quality Management System certified to ISO 9002 requirements.
Flame King's ASME certified tanks and cylinders are manufactured to ASME specifications in facilities that have a Quality Management System certified to ISO 9002 requirements. "

One part of the process. However, as I stated earlier, much better than refilling the "non-refillable" cylinders. The second part of the equation, is the person refilling the cylinder. What training or certification does the average buyer of this product have???
Personally, I was certified (trained) in refilling cylinders, but my certification has "expired". I would guess that a very small percentage of the potential buyers would be so trained.
Nuff said.

maybe the exception...but not the rule...

the vast majority of boatowners I know never have heard of ABYC or remotely follow as closely as the core here.

I'm taking about a conciencious, handy, seasoned boater who is current on education and takes pride in his boat, engine room, equipment, safety, knowledge and seamanship.

Not the vast majority.

This has been a subject of extensive discussion in the past. Firehoser gets it correct. Refilling the not-to-be-refilled canisters is just plain stupid. Oh yes, we have all heard about guys doing it for years with no problems. So what. Here's an analogy.

Say you pull in for fuel and some guy in a gasser fills up next to you. The fuel dock attendant reminds the owner to turn on his engine compartment blower before starting the engine. Guys says he been starting his gas engines with no blower all his life, 40 years, never had a problem. The point is, bad practice is bad practice regardless of whether fate has yet to pay a visit.

Actually some of those car accidents were horrible too which I don't wish on anyone...my point being do we know to what degree safety precautions were followed?

As in any accident.....

Well, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of car wrecks involve one person driving safely and another one driving unsafely. But, we all picture ourselves as the one who drives safely.

But, don't let me stop you from trying to kill yourself! :)

Actually, no matter what I do I try to live...not kill myself, and hurt free. If I don't think I can...then I stop doing what I do.

Again...we are talking about a procedure about complicated as getting gas for your lawnmower with the same consequences if you do it poorly.

After a bit of research and mitigating the worst of them (refilling non-refillable bottles and using certified ones)....I am still careful...but not afraid.

I am more afraid when I get my motorhome filled with propane and seeing those procedures with the volumes involved.

Last edited:
Actually, no matter what I do I try to live...not kill myself, and hurt free. If I don't think I can...then I stop doing what I do.

Again...we are talking about a procedure about complicated as getting gas for your lawnmower with the same consequences if you do it poorly.

After a bit of research and mitigating the worst of them (refilling non-refillable bottles and using certified ones)....I am still careful...but not afraid.

I am more afraid when I get my motorhome filled with propane and seeing those procedures with the volumes involved.

Well, I tried. :D

Good for you, stick to your guns (opinion). I guess it is OK in your mind to not turn off the car engine, to operate your cell phone, and to smoke while you put gas in your car? After all, they are just over reactions by some "anal safety people" that don't apply to you cause you've been "getting away with it" for years.
Carry on doing whatever it is that you think is best (for you), but please don't try to convince others to follow along when there are good reasons (and proven regulations) not to. I don't think that is asking too much, but maybe you do?

How can an approved device, being used properly, with safety in mind and following the advised precautions be compared to a person gassing their car breaking all the safety precautions?

If discussing using non-refillable containers...then yes safety is possibly severely compromised

This has gotten to the point where I can tear apart the safety of most things people do every day if you allow overboard comparisons.

Some think that I can't be convinced by ohers?

Must be a shortage of mirrors out there.

Last edited:
This has evolved into a genuine Alabama pissing contest!
Wear a mask or don't wear a mask...it's entirely up to you!

This has evolved into a genuine Alabama pissing contest!
Wear a mask or don't wear a mask...it's entirely up to you!

Well, at least this is something I am familiar with...better than staying in the Covid-19 sub-forum with all of our medical experts and experienced national leaders.... :D

My Magma hangs out over the rail and can get saltwater spray on it(on my old boat). Sometimes that spray would hit the tank. I went to unscrew the tank from the regulator and the tank broke in half in my hand....luckily with no pressure in it. So I think I'll just fall in lockstep with the lowest common denominator and buy a new one everytime.

Yes, I am (mostly) talking about the "non-refillable" one time use, disposable 1 lb. bottles. I understood that you were talking about both types, but professing that the certified "refillable" 1 lb. bottles were OK.

I do agree that the certified ones used correctly and carefully should be OK. However, reading a fair number of the reviews about the product on Amazon, there were some reasonable sounding concerns raised.

Don't know, but me being prudent, I would go another way. You would choose differently, and following the certified product instructions is way better than refilling the one time bottles (as I clearly did state earlier).

So I guess I am NOT prudent...."going my way"....????

There you have it folks....

Can't imagine why we have more and more laws to protect us from ourselves...and none ever go too far.

Codger....pissing contest finished on this end..... :D

Last edited:
I use a fair amount of Propane in my workshop, so cylinders left over from cruising get used eventually, sometimes before cruising the following year.. We usually carry two or three in the boat; one on the stove and two fresh ones in a storage container made of 4" PVC pipe hung on the port side of the bow rail. Not sure how old my avatar is, but the pic at left may show that Propane storage container. I'm with opinion expressed above that the small cylinders are not worth refilling.

Well, the propane storage appears pretty small in the avatar, but it's what obscures the port end of the front cabin window. The center of the window is obscured by the open bow hatch.

psneeld,
I don't know why you seem to take great joy in "twisting" the words of others (possibly in an attempt to "prove your point" or elicit some sympathy)?
I did not state that you are not prudent! I did state that I consider myself to be a relatively prudent person and that (based on your stated position in many earlier posts) that we would choose to do things differently in this regard. If you want to pick the fly sh_t out of the pepper, I guess that could mean that in this particular instance, I would take a more prudent position or course of action than you. That does not equate to me saying you are not prudent!!! I think that is factual, your statement, not so much in this case. I also did not use the term (regarding you) "going my way", but did state that it sounds like you would do things differently than I would. I am sorry if somehow that "threatens" you, because that was not my intent.
At least we agree (after some time) that using a certified product instead of a disposable product for purposes of refilling is a step in the direction of improved safety and regulatory compliance, although I would choose not to use this product.
Moby, good idea on not reusing the bottles and on your storage idea.
End of comments on this thread.

I ripped all lthe tags off my mattress. Cut the tags off of my extension cords. Occasionally I drive over the speed limit. And oh yes, I've refilled disposable propane bottles.
I also have helped several boats off of sandbars so am I still a bad person?

Glad everyone is not bored

The real point is that accidents usually have a reason. Why did it happen?

Most people continue to do things because the believe in their ability to stay safe.

Sure you don't HAVE to refill, but if you believe you have safe equipment and can do it safely, why not?
I think one of the better arguments against refilling a 1-pounder is the existence of a
variety of 2.5-pound and up propane tanks that are cheap, DOT OK, and have the
standard POL fitting for refilling and connecting to any number of hoses and devices.
Also, they are just darling! I've used several different sizes and shapes of them. :thumb:

I think one of the better arguments against refilling a 1-pounder is the existence of a
variety of 2.5-pound and up propane tanks that are cheap, DOT OK, and have the
standard POL fitting for refilling and connecting to any number of hoses and devices.
Also, they are just darling! I've used several different sizes and shapes of them. :thumb:

Can you help in finding the smaller size ones (2.5 pound)? I've searched without luck.

Thanks,
Todd

Can you help in finding the smaller size ones (2.5 pound)? I've searched without luck.

Thanks,
Todd

The refillable ones less than 5 pounds are available but made by unknown manufacturers and not of good quality.

The minimum size that is readily available, good quality and manufactured by a genuine tank manufacturer is a 5 pound tank like the one pictured in post 28. Flame King sold at Home Depot, Wal Mart, Fisheries Supply etc.

I have been refilling them for years. Knowing the risks, paying attention to what you are doing, not having your head up your arse, they can be refilled safely. You can overfill them, so I weigh the ones I fill. Full they weigh 1.8#. Metal bottoms or plastic bottoms have different full weights. When the bottles start to look bad I throw them away, and buy new. If you fill them to 2.2# and set them in the sun the pressure relief valve will vent till pressure drops, so don’t overfill. When being used and near empty, a lot of moisture forms on container, and they will start to rust. Time to throw away. They used to be about 2 bucks each, now closer to six. I guess whatever, makes you feel good, is what you should do.

No sir, whatever makes YOU feel good is NOT what you should do. That is akin to anarchy.
I have been refilling them for years. Knowing the risks, paying attention to what you are doing, not having your head up your arse, they can be refilled safely. You can overfill them, so I weigh the ones I fill. Full they weigh 1.8#. Metal bottoms or plastic bottoms have different full weights. When the bottles start to look bad I throw them away, and buy new. If you fill them to 2.2# and set them in the sun the pressure relief valve will vent till pressure drops, so don’t overfill. When being used and near empty, a lot of moisture forms on container, and they will start to rust. Time to throw away. They used to be about 2 bucks each, now closer to six. I guess whatever, makes you feel good, is what you should do.

Whatever makes you feel good was in reference to filling 1 # propane bottles! Now I am an anarchist, some people just need to get a grip. So Cat sir you can KMA!

So, if I want to fill my gas boat with fuel right next to you without turning my blowers on cuz it makes me feel good and I have done so 500 times without blowing up, would you be okay with that? Yes, I understood you were talking about the 1# bottles. All just to save a few bucks.
Whatever makes you feel good was in reference to filling 1 # propane bottles! Now I am an anarchist, some people just need to get a grip. So Cat sir you can KMA!

I have used one of these for the past 13 years or so. They are safe to refill but, due diligence must be observed. If they are rusted throw them out. If they leak after you fill it, throw it out.

I carry around 10-15 bottles, although I am finding out that this is too many as I don't use them on my buddy heater anymore, just the BBQ. I carry 2.5 gallon tank for the buddy heater.

You buy a twin pack at Wal-Mart for about $7. It cost s me $0.61 each to refill them.

I think this discussion wildly exaggerates the risk involved in refilling a propane tank. Everything in life is risky, including getting out of bed. I’m certain more people are injured or die filling lawnmowers with fuel than will ever happen filling cylinders. If we want to worry about serious stuff how about diet and heart disease?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom