oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One of those questions that will go down a rabbit hole. Who can really know what is the "best" oil. I buy Costco 5w-40 and see no issues. Others may say straight 30 weight which I believe is what is in the Ford manual. Also somewhat depends on climate but not so much. Personally I doubt any good quality oil is likely to cause any issues. But for some this is a near religious subject so let the games begin!

Any oil is better than no oil. After that the temperature window affects the best blend. While it might not be the optimum blend it’s hard to be wrong with Delco 400 15-40.

Last edited:
I used 15-40 Shell Rotella. The PO had used the same for 15 years before I bought the boat.

There are a thousand right answers to that question, and someone will disagree with you on any one of them.

The "CH 4" or higher rating on the oil container is what you need to be concerned with.
Shell Rotella or anything similar is fine.

The last Ford Lehman was built in the early 1990s.
Every oil made today for the application of a diesel is far better than any oil of the early 1990s.

Most people use either straight 30 or 15-40. Just make sure the oil container says it’s formulated for a diesel.

I just spoke to Brian at American Diesel a couple months ago because I had some differing documentation on oil capacity for my SP225 Lehmans and the dipsticks had been remarked several times. They still recommend Shell Rotella SAE 30. I find it at Walmart which is also the cheapest place I have found as well.

While I'm not going to recommend an oil weight or multi grade for your Lehman, straight 30 weight will be around for quite a while. I had a very popular ZF gear in my boat that required 30 weight oil. So I don't think 30 weight is going away any time soon.

Shell Rotella T SAE 30 was my oil of choice for the ZF gear.

Ted

I used 15W40 Rotella for years like my predecessor. Great oil analysis for 12 years and over 3500 hrs.

Switched to Rotella 30W or 40W when in warmer clime because it leaked a bit slower then the 15W40 from all the typical leak points.

Doubt it makes a difference for engine protection....at the RPMs I ran mine at, probably could have used dang near any oil.

Back
Top Bottom