Oil Pressure on 5kw Northern Lights genny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I do not have an oil pressure gauge on my panel. I only have the basic NL panel. What is an expected oil pressure on the NL 5kw genny? I suspect it should be 60-70 psi.

Jim

In the absence of a manual from the generator manufacturer, I would recommend obtaining one from the engine manufacturer. For my Onan MDKD, I have both. It good to have more than just one source of information. This will be especially true with an older boat where manufacturers are lass likely to offer support.
If you do know the model of your generator's engine, don't go by the rated speed oil pressure. That is for tractors or other equipment that is not governed like a generator. Assuming a four pole alternator and a 60hZ frequency, the governed RPM should be 1800. My engine, a Kubota D950, should have 50 psi oil pressure at its rated 3000 rpm. The actual pressure at the governed RPM for my engine is about 40 psi when warmed up. Not wanting to be blind of the engine's status, I added oil, temp, and DC voltage gauges to the control panel.

Daniel

I moved my panel to the helm where we can monitor it. Now I need brighter gauge lights for night.

Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I have determined from the impedance measured from the wire from the sender that the oil pressure is about 60 psi. I checked the NL manual and couldn’t find the info I was looking for.

I could take off the sender and put on a temporary mechanical gauge as a check, but I don’t like mucking around with senders. They are quite fragile and easily damaged. Ask me how I know!

So I am building a panel. I have determined the VDO gauges in the specified range from the NL wiring diagram should do the trick. I purchased a Faria gauge and it reads about 1/2. The Faria sender has a different thread fitting, so will stick with VDO.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom