Oil Filter Faves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, absoultely correct. So, if one purchases the best fram filter, the one with synthetic media, it is every bit as good a filter as the Wix. Furthermore, this comparison is interesting but pretty much meaningless. What would be of value is an oil analysis of oil passed through the different filters. Want to bet the result is the same. Yes, the more inexpensive Fram filter has a thinner-walled case. So what?

Thinner case shouldn't matter much. I can't remember what the bypass valve design is in the cheap Frams, but that's one of the points of concern with some filters (some bypasses are more leak prone than others). The only significant concern I remember from the Fram teardowns was the fiber based end caps having a higher risk of media tearing away from them or other failures that could allow un-filtered oil to bypass the filter media.

Ted, that knock on Fram is VERY old news and out-dated to boot.

Yes, absoultely correct. So, if one purchases the best fram filter, the one with synthetic media, it is every bit as good a filter as the Wix. Furthermore, this comparison is interesting but pretty much meaningless. What would be of value is an oil analysis of oil passed through the different filters. Want to bet the result is the same. Yes, the more inexpensive Fram filter has a thinner-walled case. So what?

The knock on Fram has ALWAYS been on their cheap filter. Nothing has changed. Should we say that Fram is known for poor component quality except for their premium line?

Ted

Good one! A screwdriver punched "through and through" also works as a tool to unscrew the filter.

Just make sure the filter turns first! If the filter is stuck then the can may tear open. Don’t ask me how I know.

The knock on Fram has ALWAYS been on their cheap filter. Nothing has changed. Should we say that Fram is known for poor component quality except for their premium line?

Ted
Uh, Ted, yes, but the statement that Fram filters are categorically cheaply made, as some folks have said, is simply not correct.

Wouldn't use Fram. NAPA which is Wix is a good choice. Baldwin and Fleetguard are also good. Cat filters which are I believe a joint venture with Donaldson, are also good.

I buy a years worth at a time to get significant savings from:

Fleetfilter.com

They carry Wix / NAPA and Baldwin.

Ted

Always used Donaldson on my Cat 3406

So I will be changing the oil on my CAT 3208s. First time on my own since the mechanic did it last year. The oil changing system is now working so should be a snap :rolleyes:

What is the consensus on filter brands.

And while I am at it...any tricks I should know about?

Hear lots of noise about garbage filters so stick with CAT filters?

Thanks in advance.
For after market WIX has a good rep. There is a guy on YouTube, "Project Farm" that tests all kinds of tools and products. Quite comprehensive also. He may have a video on filters.

Back in 2014 when I bought my California 48 my mechanic put in 24 quarts in each engine. The decal on the engine called for 16 quarts for a 375hp. When questioned he said it was because of the angle the engine was mounted at. What do I know, right. From day one I was using a qt per day when cruising until I found a Cat maintenance manual for the 3208. All Cat 3208 shipped for marine use have a blank dip stick per Cat. There is a table that you can use to determine the Full and Add lines. After I started adding 16 quarts at each oil change I never had to add oil again between oil changes. My dip stick was improperly marked but after correcting the Full and Add marks she would read full with 16 quarts. I used Donaldson filters and Mobil oil. A cat mechanic told me Cat oil is Mobil.

Back in 2014 when I bought my California 48 my mechanic put in 24 quarts in each engine. The decal on the engine called for 16 quarts for a 375hp. When questioned he said it was because of the angle the engine was mounted at. What do I know, right. From day one I was using a qt per day when cruising until I found a Cat maintenance manual for the 3208. All Cat 3208 shipped for marine use have a blank dip stick per Cat. There is a table that you can use to determine the Full and Add lines. After I started adding 16 quarts at each oil change I never had to add oil again between oil changes. My dip stick was improperly marked but after correcting the Full and Add marks she would read full with 16 quarts. I used Donaldson filters and Mobil oil. A cat mechanic told me Cat oil is Mobil.

Where could I find such a wondrous table? I have been looking for it. My manual is 3208 generic so it may be in the marine maintenance manual?

Dip stick

You should be able to google it. If you don’t find it PM me and I will email it to you.

Back
Top Bottom