Offer made...offer accepted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neither Monk Jr or Sr actually designed the Monk 36. Taiwan stole the design. I talked with Ed Jr who confirmed this. Owned a Monk 36 for 8 years. Great boat

PNK - Yep, the Mattapoisett Monk is the one we have under contract. Survey this weekend. We'll see where it goes from there!

QUOTE=TomCat;1081489]Hey Peter, thanks for the response. It turns out that after we gave them them the silent treatment for a few days the sellers came around and signed the contract. Survey scheduled for this coming weekend. The GB36 in Maine, if it's the one I'm thinking of, is a boat that we chartered back in 2017. A decent vessel but their asking price of $110K I think is too high based on what I've seen. I'm working with a buyer broker who has been super helpful. Good luck in your search Peter. I'm wondering now if I should have waited another 9 months and go shopping hard in the fall. Late Aug, / early September? Who knows, maybe by then the fuel prices will be so sky high that power boat prices will plumment![/QUOTE]

TomCat, you might also want to consider this boat:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1983-grand-banks-36-classic-8002813/

No generator, or inverter, dated electronics, but overall looks to be in great shape! And asking price is $20,100.00 LESS than the one you're considering.

My wife and I actually were on that GB36 yesterday! Really nice, considering it is almost 40 years old, but still in good shape, except: as you pointed out, no generator or inverter, also no a/c.( It did have wiring for a genset, though.) IMO it needed to have the bottom scraped and painted, but the biggest issue was the teak decking; it looks okay, but has worn well below the level of the thiokol, so refinishing or replacing would be a big deal. Even if there were a good way to put down new strips on top of existing, you then couldn't get to the existing bungs and screws. I guesstimated that all the above could easily run $80-$100K, at which point we would have a nice boat, but really expensive, and still 40 years old. I had not been on a GB for a while, though, and was reminded that they are really built solid, and the light and layout is great; it feels much more spacious than some other 36's. Also has good tankage, good space and access in the engine "room", and the quality and construction of the mast and hinge are almost worth the price themselves!
But we will continue looking...

Yes, I visited this boat a couple of weeks ago. It is what some would refer to as a "time capsule" boat. She has good bones, but is not really suitable for my intended purpose. Two big issues with the older GBs: Screwed-down teak decks and steel tanks. Both expensive fixes. But there is no doubt that the GBs deserve their reputation for being very well-built.

Survey on the Monk 36 coming up this Sunday. It's a long drive for me but worth it to be there. The seller is scheduled to be on hand for the survey as well and on balance I think that will be a good thing...especially if my surveyor finds some skeletons in the closet!

I had an excellent experience this Sunday with a survey in Southern Mass. It entailed almost 10 hours of driving over two days plus a night in a hotel and meals out...but well worth the effort. I am very grateful to have found this surveyor. Very knowledgable and personable. He found a lot of issues that I had missed on my first pass and it was like taking a two hour master class. In barely over an hour I was able to determine that this was not the boat for me. This guy generously shared his wealth of knowledge and saved me many tens of thousands of dollars (and possibly saved my marriage!). It's the best money I've spent so far in this search. And of course, the search continues!

It’s nice to hear you come out of this with a positive attitude, instead of “I wasted all this time, drove a zillion miles, la la la la.”

Also nice that you acknowledged the surveyor; I’m sure it could help others and he wouldn’t mind, if you shared his name.

Can you tell us what some of the issues were that he found and if any seemed to be Monk 36 specific? How did the seller react to the survey?

Good luck with the continued search.

My surveyor is Dana Collyer of Collyer Marine Services out of Fairhaven MA. 774-451-2037. The main issue we found was extensive delamination in the house and decks. I'm not sure this was specific to the Monk 36, but the surveyor found leaks that I had missed on my first visit.

Tomcat, any other boats that you are considering? I am finding very little out there, and have made a few of the same kind of long drives as you. In fact, the Monk you contracted for is one of the few I wanted to see, but you beat me to it!
There's a boat in NC that looks nice, but that is really pushing the limits of how far to go. The boats that are still on the market all seem to have issues.....

Hey PNK...That boat in NC...is it the one listed for $139,900? I heard that it went under contract for $120k. PM me if you want more detail on the Monk in MA. No need to air dirty laundry on this forum!

I realize that to do what I want to do with my next vessel, I will probably need to cast a broader net and open my wallet a little wider.

I always take a phenolic hammer with me and tap out the decks before making an offer. If they are wasted then no offer. With a few minutes practice you can learn what is basically a sound deck and what it wet and/or rotten. A good deck will have a sharp sound when tapped and a wet deck more of a thud. The phenolic hammer is light and with the plastic face won’t damage the finish if you don’t go crazy. It saves a lot of time and expense if the decks are bad, unless you want to undertake a deck refurbishment.

Thank you Commodave! That was one of the lessons I learned during yesterday's survey. The surveyor even let me take videos and you can believe that the next time I visit a prospective boat, my phenolic hammer will go with me!

Thank you Commodave! That was one of the lessons I learned during yesterday's survey. The surveyor even let me take videos and you can believe that the next time I visit a prospective boat, my phenolic hammer will go with me!

How many of us would allow an unknown non professional surveyor to beat on our hull with a hammer? Just curious.

How many of us would allow an unknown non professional surveyor to beat on our hull with a hammer? Just curious.

Tapping is one thing. Whaling away like driving nails is another. I remember reading where the surveyor uses a quarter. You don’t need heavy blows to find rot. It’s all in the sounds and what it means.

First off you don’t beat on it. You tap. A light tap is all you need. I have done it on many boats and never heard a complaint. Most brokers take it as a sign that I know what I am looking for. Several have complimented me on it. The surveyor that did our last 2 boats bought and one sold takes a large mallet and hammers on the boat. So my tapping is relatively nothing.

First off you don’t beat on it. You tap. A light tap is all you need. I have done it on many boats and never heard a complaint. Most brokers take it as a sign that I know what I am looking for. Several have complimented me on it. The surveyor that did our last 2 boats bought and one sold takes a large mallet and hammers on the boat. So my tapping is relatively nothing.

True. If the tapper is experienced. However, by the time you get to a surveyor that shows a level of seriousness and you are in contract with deposit. Much like a sea trial.

But if they were just tapping that’s different. However the hammer has the mass to do more damage than the handle of a screw driver.

Deck is different than hull too. Moisture meter?

I was just curious as I might ask them to defer to afterwards unless I knew they were going to be careful.

My phenolic hammer probably weights 4 or 5 ounces. It would be almost impossible to do much damage. You don’t need experience, you need a couple of minutes to learn what a good deck core sounds like and what a bad deck core sounds like. The question was that a surveyor came and found bad decks. My point was that if you tap out the decks when you first look at the boat and they are bad then you never get to a survey and pay the surveyor. It can rule out a boat within minutes and save a lot of time negotiating a price and money paid to a surveyor.

Those of you looking at early Taiwanese trawlers thinking they are fiberglass construction should know this. The builders in Kaohsiung build a lot of boats off of a handful of molds. Hulls were laid up then moved to various shops where they were decked and deckhouses built. These outfits did not have intricate molds or tooling for deckhouses or decks so they were constructed of plywood then glassed. Thinking you have a fiberglass deckhouse and decks is a misconception so most rot and structural problems can be sourced to poorly installed and bedded windows and fitting penetrations. A cheap and easy way to confirm if plywood is used is to locate the shore power receptacle and remove the plate (four screws) and you will now have a look at a hole through the house side and plywood if it’s there. Most of the time the plywood edges are raw and never sealed or bedded. You have to wonder about windows ? And it’s not just Taiwanese but early Japanese Defevers and few domestic builds. Many of you already know this but I can’t tell you how many surveys call these fiberglass.

Exactly Commodave! Some folks on here just like to nit pick don't they!

If you had tapped out the decks when you first looked at the boat would you have made an offer and proceeded to a survey? Look at the time and money you could save for the cost of a phenolic hammer.

I concede! I just saw those pictures of the hammers! You two are free to tap on my hull anytime!

I don’t usually admit that my hammer is tiny, but in this case it is.

That makes sense. So by the format of this forum Guru status is about quantity and no necessarily quality. Got it!

That makes sense. So by the format of this forum Guru status is about quantity and no necessarily quality. Got it!

Yes, quantity only. I don’t know how you could evaluate quality since everyone has their own opinion on things.

Back
Top Bottom