New Vendor to Repair Failing VHF sites in Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So something I have wondered why is SE Alaska not under a VTS scheme like Canada? They have a very good system and should be implemented.

Isn’t VTS for crowded traffic zones, like air traffic control?

So something I have wondered why is SE Alaska not under a VTS scheme like Canada? They have a very good system and should be implemented.

Interesting question. I wonder how the decision is made to set up a VTS? The Columbia River to Portland is a very heavily traveled area by commercial traffic and has no VTS either. The bar and river pilots handle it all themselves.

Alaska has no state tax according to Alexa, that is the problem.

The Canadians seem to have figured that out.

Oh, they have, and it includes significantly higher taxes than we pay in the US, and higher than what seems popular in the US.

Heck, we can't fund the USCG to process Documentation paperwork in less than 6-9 months.

But setting that aside, do you really feel it's needed in SE Alaska, like the way it runs the entire Canadian inside passage? I think very few of us are required to participate in the Canadian VTS anyway. I haven't checked, but expect the cutoff is 20M like in Puget Sound.

Maybe traffic control in and out of Juneau for the cruise ships? But that's for what, 2-3 months out of the year?

I did check, quickly, and I noticed they kept referring to ships, which almost all trawlers and the like aren't. I don't know what definition they are using for "ship" but in the Canadian Navy a ship is a vessel with two or more continuous decks.

Attachments

• Canada VTS.PNG
    Canada VTS.PNG
    57.9 KB · Views: 32
USCG receives federal funding. It's not dependent on state taxes.

Yes VTS is for larger boats, but we all benefit from it. It is also a communication link and position locator.

Last edited:
I'd sooner see them mandate AIS than implement a VTS. The big boats already have it, but smaller boats up in SE Alaska typically don't.

I'd sooner see them mandate AIS than implement a VTS. The big boats already have it, but smaller boats up in SE Alaska typically don't.

I agree but AIS is a critical part of VTS.

Canada has antennas on mountain tops up and down the inside passage.

Back
Top Bottom