New technologies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My latest car has partial AI. If the center and side lines are painted I can remove hands from the steering for a minute or so before it starts yelling at me. In the meantime it steers the car between the lines. Even when hands on I feel little taps to steering as an alert.
So yes will not be too long.

For collision avoidance,docking and collision avoidance this could help. I don't want an electronic throttle/transmission so likely not rushing to buy a self driving boat anytime soon! And yes I know manual controls can fail but I can fix those a lot easier.

For general navigation in open water we already have plotters with auto pilots and RADAR and now AIS to assist in collision avoidance. Given there are no lanes or lines on the water I don't see a lot of additional benefit when navigating a river or ICW. Perhaps it could shake the wheel if entering shallow water but even more so than in my car I would expect a lot of false positives and annoyances to the point you might disable it much of the time. If charts were always correct and weather and currents were non existent it might be more realistic.

I would agree with the above. Collision Avoidence.
To tie into that, I believe operator error or inattention is the biggest cause for boating collisions.
If AI technology can be applied to avoid things going bump in the night or day, (either great or small) that would be huge.
And definitely with a manual override.

Back
Top Bottom