New, looking at Camano 31vs Nordic Tug 32

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought I would follow up on a thread I started a year ago.

Funny how time and experiences change things. After experiencing Jason's Camano 31 in Boston I concluded that it was just too slow; part our goals while still working are to trek over to Victoria from Bellingham on a weekend; we don't have the time to go at 8 kts. Plus, a 100K boat that we can only use for a couple of vacation weeks per year plus weekends didn't make a lot of sense to us.

After giving it a rest through November last year we started looking again. Long story but we ended up purchasing a 30' Tollycraft Sport.

We love the boat, and for us and the investment to get going it is working well. I have no reservations about the purchase........ however, one weekend running around in the gulf islands and back home yielded a fill up that exceeded $600. THAT was an eye opener. So what are we doing? Same thing as most of the rest of the Tolly cruisers do........... they run at 8 kts, to conserve fuel.

Thought you all would get a kick out of my realization, given the name of the forum and all.

When we aren't planning our next cruise, we look at our next boat, for retirement. We want one queen bed, minimal teak, a real efficient diesel that can get 3 mpg on a decent day, a covered cockpit with the purpose of cruising the San Juans, but capable of points north to Alaska. Old DeFevers Eagles, Kadey Krogen often pop up on my searches.

Thanks!

Hey Perry! Thanks for the update. It was good meeting you last year. I'm glad you found a boat. I can relate to your fuel burn. I now have 2 gas motors on my new boat. Love the boat! Hate the fuel burn. But it is a great liveaboard boat and that's why I bought it.

Ron,
The N32 has a rockered bottom does it not?
That should get you better economy numbers as you slow down.
Most FD boats and skippers run one full knot below hull speed. That should be your most economical practical cruise speed. And as you speed up you’ll pay a lower penalty than skippers w straight runs aft. Take away the keel and many so called SD boats are really planing hulls w too much weight and a big keel.
If you haven’t guessed the NT 32 is my favorite boat. But I wish it had a little more rocker ... and less power.
Willy, you really would not like our 32 NT because it has a turbo 3208 with 300 hp. And yes it came out of the factory with it. Hull speed is achieved at around 1100 rpm depending on the current/wind. We did run it up on occasion to blow it out.

Back
Top Bottom