New fuel tank location (diesel)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Alternative
Vessel Make
36 Albin Aft Cabin
My 36 foot Albin has two fuel tanks of 150 gallons each. One tank needs to be replaced. I have room under the dining seat in the saloon for a tank of about 100 gallons, plenty. In fact, I think I will stop at about 60 gallon size.

Structurally, the floor can handle the weight, especially if I shore it up a bit. I am not worried about the balance of the boat, it will be directly above the unused tank.

The fuel pick up will be above the engine level. I could conceivably develop a syphon effect to the engine or the filters. Although it would not conform to code I could draw fuel from the bottom of the tank but it would still cause a syphon effect. It would be easy to valve off the supply line, in fact probably mandatory.

Aside from the syphon effect am I looking at any other problems having the fuel supply higher than the engine?

pete

Why not remove the old tank?
I removed two tanks from my 45 CHB. each 130 gallons.

Had a welder come in and cut them in two.
They could also be cut using a rotary type tool.
Must gas free but that is easy. I did it myself.
CCC

One concern might be the added weight above the waterline affecting the balance of the boat. 100 gallons would be substantial but even 60 gallons could have an impact on stability. I would tend to agree with removing the old tanks and replace with smaller if easier to fit in the original location.

James

I cut both my tanks out and replaced with the largest ones I could fit in without taking anything apart on the engine or in the engine room. Call it a non-invasive fuel tank replacement.

Moving the fuel tank as proposed would have a significant impact on stability. How much, I honestly don't know, but for me it would be a last resort. If you are happy replacing a 150 gal tank with a little as a 60 gal tank then it seems you are an excellent candidate for replacing the existing tank with multiple smaller tanks that will fit easily.

I am no engineer but at 7.1 lbs/gal your 60 gal would be 420 lbs. That is like two guys sitting on that side of the boat. Can't see much impact with that.

Last edited:
Pete
It seems an oddball relocation you are contemplating. Likely a turnoff for any future boat sale too. I agree with TT on stability concerns. In summation, take the time to fix it right.

Pete

It seems an oddball relocation you are contemplating. Likely a turnoff for any future boat sale too. I agree with TT on stability concerns. In summation, take the time to fix it right.
I wonder what Mr. Messinger would say if someone else asked the same question......

Peter

I hate to say this but if you have to replace one tank, isn't it likely the other tank will also soon need replacement? I think removing the old tank and putting in a new one is a far better idea since it's possible you'll need to do both sides within a couple years. Maybe better to just get it over with.

Back
Top Bottom