New build ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Folks looking to have a new boat built should remember the engine is not the only choice , you should be able to spec the tranny too.

Many posts concern powering stuff like a better grade of alt or a hyd package.

Since the more commercial side of boating has a similar problem , there are modern trannys that have PTO, a power take off pad or two that can bolt on what ever you require .

Big alts frequently are built with oil cooling passages ,cooling supplied by
the engine, so 200-400A of 12v or 24v on a constant basis is a snap.

I am always looking for the least complex and maint free systems , as are the commercial folks. Don't be shy about looking at non yacht methods for most anything.

Last edited:
I recently became aware of oil cooled alternators, I think thanks to you. Thanks! But I have to say that I don't think I could bring myself to insert one in the lube oil path of a main engine. I'm sure it would invalidate any engine warranty, and it seems I'd be risking engine damage as a consequence of an alternator failure..

But it makes me wonder about circulating hydraulic oil through it. That system is important too and I wouldn't want consequential damage to it, but it would be less of a disaster than engine damage. Also, the hydraulic oil runs cooler than the engine oil so would keep the alternator cooler. Do you see any issues with that?

"Also, the hydraulic oil runs cooler than the engine oil so would keep the alternator cooler. Do you see any issues with that?"

Only that the hyd oil would need to be controlled down to 40-80 PSI .

There are filters for HYD systems that would catch any material returning to the engine.

The DN 50 PTO mounted has been used by city buses for decades , oil cooled with no problems.

They can be sourced rebuilt at a fraction of the cost of a 200A-300A new alt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom