New Boater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhowe

Hi folks,
I'm new to the Forum... & boating. My wife & I have a purchase pending for a 1988 Hershine 41'. The season here in Toronto, Canada is May-October so we won't close our deal until an early May sea trial. This forum is such a valuable platform for someone like me who is thirsty for information, tips, and learnings going into something I know little about. I've already gleaned plenty this past week just poking around the site.

All the best in '24
Jamie

Attachments

• 7145761_20190712102325918_1_XLARGE.jpg
    7145761_20190712102325918_1_XLARGE.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 14
Welcome aboard. Hooe the deal works out for you. Keep us informed.

Welcome aboard and happy sailing with your new boat.

Welcome...... but understand some of us..... if you are absolutely new to boating in all forms, might suggest a few to many year's worth of local boating evolving into local cruising before venturing very far. So take a minute and understand where that is coming from when/if it happens, it's not personal or gospel but cautionary.

Absorb as much as you can with a critical viewpoint on who is giving what advice. The net is a wonderful tool for many new boaters, but there is probably way more shaky advice out there than sound.

Many of us who only had a few generalized books and few mentors to guide us learned the hard way through many experiences and graduating from boat to boat and boating activity after boating activity. Some have some formalized training and some with lots of formalized training and professional experience.

So boating knowledge is easier to get these days and some think that's all that is necessary to venture forth. It works for some but not all and many times new boaters have a new and not so nice experience and it scares them enough to reduce or give up boating. I hate to see that and hope whatever your path, it goes smoothly and leads you to a new hobby/way of life that somewhat matches your vision.

To add to the above, take a class if offered before the sea trial.
It will not replace actual hands-on experience, however you will get some education. Which is better than nothing.

Action

Hi Jamie. Welcome to the site. Great looking boat you got there. If you find yourself coming to the east end of Lake ontario, we are based in Kingston. We plan on doing a thousand island trip sometime this summer, so if that's where you're headed let us know. It would be great to meet you on the water sometime.

Thx. Solid advice. I should qualify that we are former cottagers and have owned 5-6 boats - but all small craft ...ski boats, runabouts+ a pontoon boat. Just nothing of this size. At 59, I err on the side of caution now..lol

Hey Max1 thx. Yes the thousand islands are on our list. We're really lucky in this part of the world with freshwater access to the Trent & Rideau systems as well Georgian Bay & Great Lakes.

Wow! This reminds me of when I jumped from a canoe to a 42-foot Grand Banks. However, I had been a naval officer assigned in six ships prior to that, and my dad had an 18-foot ski boat; so, a trawler was not trouble. psneeld got it all right above, and I expect you'll enjoy the heck out of it. Usually, we kid newbies with a boat here with, "Naw, you don't have a boat until WE see a photo." You have had a magnificent start, sir! Well done!

Thx. Solid advice. I should qualify that we are former cottagers and have owned 5-6 boats - but all small craft ...ski boats, runabouts+ a pontoon boat. Just nothing of this size. At 59, I err on the side of caution now..lol

People always discuss boat handling when discussing moving up in boats.

That is a classic mistake if the boat is going to be used for more than day tripping and local trips. Running around in little boats gives one little or no real cruising experience. If you have been a student of boating and cruising by reading hundreds of articles and books...plus picking the brains of true old salts (most really aren't true)..that is about 1/4 of the way there.

The real challenge of moving up AND serious cruising is 95% everything else and 5% boat handling.

There is so much more to know that keeps you both safe and unstressed.
relax and enjoy the ride....at 59, you have the time to do it all....gain experience safely and have plenty of years to stretch you horizons... greater powers willing.

Welcome aboard. psneeld's advice is gold, in my experience (about five years of part time, then full-time liveaboard), with years of Marine Rescue experience off-shore before and during that).

The real challenge of moving up AND serious cruising is 95% everything else and 5% boat handling.
That's the truth right there. Another member, recently passed, had a signature reading, "cruising is repairs in exotic locations" or words to that effect, and we have learned that this is true. The more time we spend on board, the more confident we feel about taking care of repairs and maintenance ourselves, apart from the annual slipping where additional experienced eyes see things before we do, sometimes. Yesterdays, for example, was a rebuild of a diaphragm pump. It was a good day on board.

The trawler looks beautiful.
I owned a 38' similar trawler, refurbished it and learnt a lot about old yachts.
i will be in Toronto in February and could take a look at your boat if you would like some insights.
Dennis

Did something happen to your deal? This boat is still listed with no indication of "Sale Pending".

Update: The listing on the broker's website does show Sale Pending.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom