navionix on android

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpackard

Vessel Name
formerly owned Puffin/Lilliana
Vessel Make
Willard 30/40
I need a faster tablet to run Navionix boating app than on my old iPad 2d gen. The Android tablets seem to be a lot less expensive than the apple products. I would appreciate suggestions on what tablet would be suitable for using Navionix boating app in US waters. Are the older Androids suitable or should I spring for a new one?

Also I would like a swing-out mounting to hold the tablet in my sailboat's companionway. Any suggestions?

Richard

Costco usually has a decent price on a midrange Samsung tablet. This 10.5" display would work fine and at $200 including a cover is a decent deal

https://www.costco.com/samsung-gala...-cover.product.100830444.html?sh=true&nf=true

My 5 year old Samsung tablet that I purchased via Costco at similar price point still runs Navionics fairly well, but I'm probably ready for an upgrade. My sense is the higher priced models will have more memory, they probably dont run Navionics much better, but have accessories such as larger capacity batteries, stylus, keyboard, etc.

Can't help you with mounting options beyond Google.

Good luck Richard.

Peter

Androids are not only cheaper but I've read here the newer Ipads limit the number of waypoints you can add so the autorouting doesn't work. I'm using a DragonTouch Max10, it runs Navionics, Aquamap and OpenCpn just fine. Unlimited waypoints. Was about $150 on Amazon. I also have a DragonTouch K10, an older version of the Max 10 as backup.
Screen brightness can be an issue if your helm is not under cover, mine is so the tablet is bright enough. If not, brightness might be your #1 shopping criteria. A good water resistant case is essential, my first tablet was a pretty nice Samsung, it got wet. That was on the sailboat so it was more exposed than on the trawler

Last edited:
Another vote for Android. I'm running an A7 10" Samsung. It has no problems running Navionics or OpenCPN. Screen size matters. I would not go smaller than 10".

Samsung sells the A line and the S line. One important difference between the two is the S line has a faster more powerful processor.

Possible reasons to consider the S line with it's faster processor. If the tablet is to be the primary or only plotter. If you rely on auto route. I find asking Navioncs to generate a long or complex auto route on the A7 is very slow. The S may be faster.

In general once the app is loaded and running the A7 handles the work load other than auto route without issues. I will sometimes run both Navionics and OpenCPN because they use different charts and present the data in different ways.

Just an observation with no data to back it up. I see numerous complaints about problems running Navionics or OpenCPN on iPad. Very few for Android.

A comment on using tablets for navigation. If the tablet is to be only plotter I'd carry two. They aren't waterproof and too easily damaged by dropping. Maybe for fair weather day trips on familiar waters I might go with just one tablet as primary nav.

I use MxMariner on an Android tablet. Works fine on any tablet I've tried it on that has GPS. As mentioned screen brightness on inexpensive tablets can be an issue.

I have a Surface tablet I'd love to use. I don't know anything more about it, but could check the specs. Will this run a nav program (electronically challenged)?
As a second note, I have a Motion Computing M1400 with 2 docks, bricks etc. I realize it's a dinosaur, but it's running XP. Web says it can run Win7 with some mods. I'd love to use it for nav & nothing else because it's waterproof (?) and easily upgradeable RAM, etc (by someone else, not me). Anybody here wanna play w/ it ( the tablet)for me ? Or I'd sell the whole bunch.
I'm in Baltimore MD (Whoohoo!)

I have a Surface tablet I'd love to use. I don't know anything more about it, but could check the specs. Will this run a nav program (electronically challenged)?
As a second note, I have a Motion Computing M1400 with 2 docks, bricks etc. I realize it's a dinosaur, but it's running XP. Web says it can run Win7 with some mods. I'd love to use it for nav & nothing else because it's waterproof (?) and easily upgradeable RAM, etc (by someone else, not me). Anybody here wanna play w/ it ( the tablet)for me ? Or I'd sell the whole bunch.

As far as I can tell, Navionics will not work for real time navigation on Windows. You can look at the map and create routes but it doesn't have position input so you can't place yourself on the map or show speed, course, etc. So not much different than using paper charts. On Android you do get those functions. Not sure about iOS, I don't use it. There are other apps like OpenCpn that will work on Windows, Linux, iOS, etc of you have a gps reciever.

Your MS Surface will not run Navionics as that is either Android or IoS (there is a web interface for Navionics but that is clunky in my opinion). The Surface will of course run PC apps such as Coastal Explorer.

No knowledge of your other hardware.

BTW - inexpensive Android tablets are easily found. Costco often has a version on sale for under $150. They run Navionics just fine.

Good luck

Peter

RAM sells some mounts that are of good quality. I have used them on motorcycles (GPS) and vehicles (tablets), and they perform as advertised.

Tks guys! I currently use the Surface to run a vehicle nav program w/a puck. Shoulda' known using it for both was a bummer. I'll look at the Costco item. Use that as an excuse to go have a hot dog!

Am running Navionics on a Samsung S5 and now it is running fine. Had some problems in the beginning with Navionics crashing all the time when I would open the app, but after re-installing the program it works fine.
Bought a separate stand for the tablet, so I can pull the tablet close to me when we are at the helm.
As for the battery life ? I just leave the tablet plugged in when we are underway.

I use a DragonTouch K10 tablet from Amazon. Also about $120. Runs Navionics, Aquamap, and OpenCpn. Not all at the same time of course. If I keep it plugged in to my 2.1 amp USB plug the battery doesn't run down on Navionics or Aquamap. OpenCpn is more of a power hog, it won't keep up forever. You can beat that by keeping the display as dim as you can see it and/or not disabling the screen time out.

An android tablet will run Navionics just fine if you are satisfied with those capabilities.

I would suggest a "real" marine chart plotter for serious navigation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom