My engine room has a big hole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The ladder stays in place and is held by two table brackets.
https://www.thechandleryonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=3786. When closed the hatch closes nicely on top of the ladder.
If I need to move the ladder once I am down it just pops out and is stored in the hole in the engine room floor in front of the engine. It is out of the way and makes it easy to get about.
The piano hinge sticks up about 1/8 inch but it is so close to the edge and the short wall under the pilot house table (where your feet go) it makes no matter. I then use a shock cord hooked to the hatch handle and wrap around the table. Have one for each engine hatch. Same for the generator hatch. You don't want the hatches to come down on you while your in the engine room. Safety first.
Barrie

Attachments

• ladder.jpg
    ladder.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 22
But think of the exercise you will miss. :)

Attachments

• Hatch exercise.jpg
    Hatch exercise.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 18
I own a Hartmann-Palmer Offshore 38. It’s similar to a Marine Trader 38 or 40. I have 2 very large and fairly heavy engine room hatches which take up nearly the entire width of the salon, and about 85% of the length. When I had a mechanic in the engine room working on one of the diesels, the forward hatch fell right on his head and left shoulder, even though it was propped up and seemed secure. I absolutely will install piano hinges and gas struts. But I have a question: Did you chisel out (countersink) the hinge into the hatch and cabin sole? The fit of my two hatches is very snug and it seems as if you simply installed the hinge without countersinking it, the hatch would no longer close.

How did you install the piano hinge?

Before I decided that my finish carpentry skills just aren't up to the expectations I have for this project, my approach was to router out the thickness of the closed hinge from the attachment face of the hatch. I suspect it is better to router out half the thickness from each face, but the sill side of the pilothouse sole is too close to the settee riser and my router won't fit in that space.

I have since decided to pay the cabinetry guy at our winter storage to do the job.

Cap'n Bob: Here's how I did mine and I had the same problem with a tight fit. I took the hatches home and took about 3/16" off the side with my table saw. I adjusted the blade height so I was only taking 1/4" more in depth than the height of the piano hinge. When the hatch closes the remaining bottom half of the hatch fits as before nice and tight so no noise or fumes can sneak by the piano hinge. Suggest pre fitting and pre drilling all the holes first.
I bought SS hinges from Rona (cheap). They were 3 feet long so I cut them down to fit each hatch. They appear flimsy but when you get all the 3/4" inch screws in place it is very firm. There are different width piano hinges out there if you need wider ones. Check your local specialty fastener store but you will pay more. Let me know if you need more info.
Good luck
Barrie

The ladder shown in #31 got me to thinking. I backed over an aluminum step ladder, but cut off the part that wasn't mangled (for what?). That, with the ladder brackets installed might be just the thing. A wooden ladder it too bulky. A short undermount swimstep ladder on the engine room ceiling might deploy okay, but I'm sure I would routinely hit my head on it. But a two- or three-step section of aluminum ladder might do the trick. Left in place when leaving the engine room or removed when more space is needed.

The only hatch into the ER on my boat was originally a large rectangular (heavy) hatch in the salon. The carpenter who installed my Amtico flooring did me a favor: he split the hatch into two and installed a removable center support. I never need to remove both sides, and it’s easy to prop the piece up.

When the hatch is open, I put a note on the cockpit door or something similar. No bear traps!

Helmsman 38 engine room ladder

How do you Helmsman 38 guys get in and out with that hatch "in the way?"[/QUOTE]

We have owned our Helmsman for about 4 years. For me, the hatch has never been an issue as far as accessing the engine room. The only problem comes AFTER you climb down the ladder. Then the ladder itself becomes an obstacle that makes it very difficult to move around. I have to lift it out (and it ain't light!) and prop it up against the helm seat. It tends to ding up the floor and has been known to fall over and smash into things if you aren't careful where you set it.

The only issue with the hatch is that, when it's open, it blocks access to the cupboard under the pilothouse seat. And THAT'S where I keep my tools! Invariably, I forget some tool which is, of course, in that cabinet. That means either (a) reinstalling the ladder, climbing out, closing the hatch, getting the tool, then reversing the whole procedure or (b) yelling for my wife (assuming she's aboard), describing the tool, closing the hatch with me in the engine room, yelling back and forth through the hatch when she can't find the tool, then opening the hatch again. All accompanied by considerable profanity, of course.

I wondered if that would be a problem. Guess so. Thanks Charlie.

If that ladder was not there, could you use the filter bracket as a step to lower yourself in or raise yourself out? That's what I do and it's easy enough that I have decided to skip the whole hinged hatch and ladder issue.

I do use the filter mount as a step if I have to get in or out after removing the ladder, though the broker who sold us the boat cautioned me NOT to do so. It seems more than sturdy enough to use as a step.

There are plenty of components in that engine room one should not step on, but the solid bracket protecting the top of the filter mount should be plenty tough to serve that role. If you hear or learn otherwise, please share! Thanks.

I do use the filter mount as a step if I have to get in or out after removing the ladder, though the broker who sold us the boat cautioned me NOT to do so. It seems more than sturdy enough to use as a step.

I rarely stepped on the filter mount, just to be cautious, always in and out via the three-rung ladder. I stowed the ladder on its side, in front of the engine, or snug up to the hull on the port side. OK, it's inconvenient to dismount and remount the ladder, but it was worth having the extra room to move around when doing maintenance in the engine compartment.

Back
Top Bottom