Multi-Meter Recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I've had my Fluke for 35+ years and its finally died. Looking for a recommendation for a reasonably priced (<$150) durable meter. I see they can run into many hundreds of dollars which would be wasted capability for my very modest electrical skills.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance - Peter

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Can't recommend any particular type/brand but I MUCH prefer an analog type meter. I find it easier than reading numbers as on a digital meter.

I wouldn’t stray from a Fluke meter, I use a T6-600 at work and on my boat. You can test both volts and amps through the forks, or you can use the probes for voltage as well. One of the nice things about these is that they automatically sense AC/DC and you don’t have to change the settings for various voltage ranges. $179 on Amazon

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/basic-testers/fluke-t6-600

Or for $120 you can go for the Fluke T5-600 and you have similar features but without being able to test voltage through the forks.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/basic-testers/fluke-t5-600

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. mv. Can't recommend any particular type/brand but I MUCH prefer an analog type meter. I find it easier than reading numbers as on a digital meter.

A number of dmm have a HOLD feature. U can then just make probe contact and then move instrument to a more readable location.
But if the voltage is not stable its not helpful.

I have that Fluke 107, yeah just over a hundred bucks - :)

I'm a fan of the Klein meters for a mid priced option. I've got an MM2000 at home and an MM700 on the boat and both have given good service. They come in a grippy shell, which is nice for use on the boat without them sliding around.

I use a fluke 177 and like it a lot. I’ve tried the newer small fluke meters and find that they are slow to read. I’m used to getting instant readings so that’s a turn off for me. Especially when looking for intermittent problems.

I'd recommend the Fluke 325. Not in your stated budget, but there is huge utility in being able to measure DC current with a Hall Effect clamp function down to 10ma or so on a boat. There are much cheaper off brand meters that will do this as well. If you have this function and learn to use it, you will quickly thank me. It can save days of debugging.

I'm a fan of the Klein meters for a mid priced option. I've got an MM2000 at home and an MM700 on the boat and both have given good service. They come in a grippy shell, which is nice for use on the boat without them sliding around.

I have 2 Kleins also.

Good enough even if not the big name....

I use Fluke at work. I have a Milwaukee for the boat. I like it better

I have a FLuke 87 but recently purchased a Klien CL390 which I have been using on the boat. It now lives aboard and the FLuke stays at home.

There are a few functions the FLuke would do that the Klien won't but so far it has not been a problem. For just a bit over $100.oo Cdn my Klien has been a good meter.

Klein

Klein has my vote. Solid unit. Moderate price.

I'd recommend the Fluke 325. Not in your stated budget, but there is huge utility in being able to measure DC current with a Hall Effect clamp function down to 10ma or so on a boat. There are much cheaper off brand meters that will do this as well. If you have this function and learn to use it, you will quickly thank me. It can save days of debugging.

:iagree:

Being able to measure amp draw has many uses. Items with compressors can show elevated amperage draws near end of life.

Ted

For anything you need to do on a boat, especially with your limited expertise a $20.00 unit from ace or H.F. will serve you well.

pete

Last edited:
This might be helpful.

https://www.bestproductsreviews.com/digital-clamp-meter-ac-dc?targetid=dsa-19959388920&matchtype=&device=c&campaignid=18658422211&creative=629600127790&adgroupid=143198405032&feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=9003292&loc_interest_ms=&network=g&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$&target=&aceid=&adposition=&trackid=us_all_top_standard_exact_3_1&mId=407-132-4411&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyMKbBhD1ARIsANs7rEH728p_vVNjN3YTKrq2G71KbC5XRoI4Mh7l9WO-tTLOIXXGpodVAZ0aAgBmEALw_wcB

Rob

My Klein is great. Smarter than I am but good to have. The DC clamp on amp meter is a must have and worth the price of admission.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DTDCG7T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

That Klein CL390 looks a whole lot like an affordable Centek(?) meter I bought 10 or 15 years ago which is great, I don't have it in front of me to compare but I would bet it is an updated model rebranded from the same folks that actually made mine.

As you call out, it offers a DC clamp meter. To elaborate: A lot of other clamping meters in this price range are AC only which is much less useful on a boat.

For $100 it looks to be a steal, the biggest problem with mine were the probes were very low quality but those are easy (not cheap) to replace or augment with some good Fluke probes. That is where I'd spend the money for some Fluke TL220 probes https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/accessories/test-leads/fluke-tl220 even though they will run you another $100.

The Klein's description doesn't say, but you want one that will measure DC down to 20 ma or so. The low ens reading is much more useful than the high end.

The Klein's description doesn't say, but you want one that will measure DC down to 20 ma or so. The low ens reading is much more useful than the high end.

The Klein CL390 specs are in the manual (https://data.kleintools.com/sites/a...s/instructions/klein/CL390-1390366ART-WEB.pdf). Specifically, in the 40A setting they list 0.01A (10 mA) ±(2.0% + 9 digits) with a zeroing function. There is also a 400A mode. Those specs may or may not mean much though.

I've never had much luck accurately reading low DC currents but maybe that is just because I never bought an expensive enough meter... :whistling:

Is there such a thing as a water proof or resistant meter?

The Klein CL390 specs are in the manual (https://data.kleintools.com/sites/a...s/instructions/klein/CL390-1390366ART-WEB.pdf). Specifically, in the 40A setting they list 0.01A (10 mA) ±(2.0% + 9 digits) with a zeroing function. There is also a 400A mode. Those specs may or may not mean much though.

I've never had much luck accurately reading low DC currents but maybe that is just because I never bought an expensive enough meter... :whistling:

Those are the ranges. But it also says "Minimum current measurable: 0.3A AC or DC". So about an order of magnitude off of a Fluke or Extech.

I wouldn’t stray from a Fluke meter, I use a T6-600 at work and on my boat. You can test both volts and amps through the forks, or you can use the probes for voltage as well. One of the nice things about these is that they automatically sense AC/DC and you don’t have to change the settings for various voltage ranges. $179 on Amazon

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/basic-testers/fluke-t6-600

Or for $120 you can go for the Fluke T5-600 and you have similar features but without being able to test voltage through the forks.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/electrical-testing/basic-testers/fluke-t5-600
Agreed about Fluke. A buddy was having a problem that he couldn't diagnose. The wiring seemed fine according to his Home Depot meter. I went over with my F87 and found a short in the Meg ohm range that was enough to confound his CDI but not enough to trigger his inexpensive meter. This may be an outlier but it happened to him on the real world. Given the quantity and sensitivity of electronic components and system these days we are likely to see more problems on this level than ever before.

When my Fluke 87 died, I replaced it with am Amprobe AM-530. It's been excellent. I really like the max/min feature on both the Amprobe and the Fluke. I also have a Hantek 2D72 which is a great little oscilloscope and function generator that also happens to have DMM functionality as well. The only thing I don't like about the Hantek is that it uses a built in rechargeable battery that drains when stored. The scope and function (waveform) generator have proven useful on occasion and the unit seems superbly crafted.

When my Fluke 87 died, I replaced it with am Amprobe AM-530. It's been excellent. I really like the max/min feature on both the Amprobe and the Fluke. I also have a Hantek 2D72 which is a great little oscilloscope and function generator that also happens to have DMM functionality as well. The only thing I don't like about the Hantek is that it uses a built in rechargeable battery that drains when stored. The scope and function (waveform) generator have proven useful on occasion and the unit seems superbly crafted.
I am something of a tool junkie.I am going to have to check this out. Another tool I have is a "Power Probe 4". It is more for automotive and has a 60V max capacity, but still has many cool features and uses. $120.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom