MMSI number for travel to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlisonS

Is an FCC-issued MMSI number required if you travel to Canada with your boat?

We got a BoatUS-issued MMSI for our previous boat, and used it for transmitting AIS via the Boat Beacon app, and did not go to Canada. Our new boat does not currently have an MMSI number, and we do plan to take it to Canada, so I would like to set it up correctly from the start.

I have been researching this for a couple of days and finding confusing and conflicting information. I also know lots of people who travel between Canada and the US frequently with no MMSI at all, and sometimes just a BoatUS-issued one.

Legally yes, you need one from the FCC. Also that way it gets entered into international data bases so if you need rescuing they will have your information. Boat/US only gets entered into the US data base.

Legally yes, you need one from the FCC. Also that way it gets entered into international data bases so if you need rescuing they will have your information. Boat/US only gets entered into the US data base.

This is correct. However, 95% of the boats from thE US entering Canada have a MMSI that is only registered with Boat US. There is absolutely no expectation by the Canadians and no enforcement on this issue.

So if I do get one from the FCC, it looks like you have to apply for a Ship Station License and it costs upwards of $200 - does that sound right?

So if I do get one from the FCC, it looks like you have to apply for a Ship Station License and it costs upwards of $200 - does that sound right?
fugetaboutit. Just do not use the radio while here, leave off. That is why I could not hear you hailing me. ;)

Yes, it costs around that much. The problem if you don’t get an FCC MMSI is that if you are in Canada and activate the distress function on the VHF you won’t be in their data base. I seriously doubt that you would get cited for using the radio in Canada but are you absolutely sure you will not need the distress function?

When we used to get a station license renewal every year it was under $100 Cdn. Then those renewals were discontinued, so for the past 15 years or so no Canadian has needed a station license.
Since we don't need them, there is no enforcement of the forgotten requirement for foreigners entering Canada to have one.

When we used to get a station license renewal every year it was under $100 Cdn. Then those renewals were discontinued, so for the past 15 years or so no Canadian has needed a station license.
Since we don't need them, there is no enforcement of the forgotten requirement for foreigners entering Canada to have one.

Even if it is still on the books, I doubt either of our countries wants to worry about it. After all there are no charges to be rescued, but we have pulled in boaters afraid to use their VHF to call for help. Probably a reason why the license was discontinued.

No one has ever gotten in trouble for activating an unregistered MMSI device in an emergency.

Is an FCC-issued MMSI number required if you travel to Canada with your boat?

We got a BoatUS-issued MMSI for our previous boat, and used it for transmitting AIS via the Boat Beacon app, and did not go to Canada.

And the FCC Ship's Station License (MMSI, VHF callsign, etc.) should also be accompanied by a Restricted Radio Operator's License. See FCC site for details.

Be aware that there's up to a 99.9% chance a boat's AIS system won't ever see MMSIs "transmitted" via Boat Beacon.

-Chris

Keep in mind that once you have programmed that MMSI number into the AIS and your VHF(s), you can't change them without a bunch of hassle and expense. Figure a cost of $100 per device to remove it, ship it back to the manufacturer to reprogram, then reinstall. More if you are paying someone else to do it. So there is a lot of incentive to get the number right the first time.

Rather than try to find ways around this particular boating expense, just do it correctly and get the Ship's Station license (SA license), requesting an MMSI as part of the application. And get your own radio operators license (RR license) at the same time. You will need the MMSI before you buy your AIS since the dealer has to program it before shipping.

I believe it depends on your AIS unit as to how expensive and how much of a hassle it is to re-flash your MMSI number. For example, I bought a used em-trak AIS unit originally sold by West Marine. I did have to reach out to them as the regs require, but they were able to email me a small computer file (.BAT file I think, it's been a while). Running that file enabled me to re-flash it once using a patch cord that came with the unit and my home computer. No charge.

I agree with the other posters, probably universally ignored by authorities but might as well do it right.

What’s the question? What should I do, or what can I get away with?

The question is (a) what do most people do and (b) if we do the FCC one, what are the separate steps and requirements within that application because I am finding it somewhat confusing.

Thanks to everyone who has given useful and thoughtful information of far, I appreciate it.

I would do it the correct way, using FCC. Their website is a bit confusing but I have been able to do it several times but I doubt that I could explain how to do it.

Mmsi

I would do it the correct way, using FCC. Their website is a bit confusing but I have been able to do it several times but I doubt that I could explain how to do it.

I have the opposite opinion. I've been using a Boat US MMSI number since 2005 and have never had a problem. I've even had long conversations with Victoria Coast Guard on VHF while responding to one of their calls for assistance. No one has ever asked about a license. Even though Canada won't have all your information they will still have your GPS co-ordinates if you ever have a problem and have to press that distress button. (by the way, press it for at least three seconds or it won't work)

Keep in mind that once you have programmed that MMSI number into the AIS and your VHF(s), you can't change them without a bunch of hassle and expense. Figure a cost of $100 per device to remove it, ship it back to the manufacturer to reprogram, then reinstall. More if you are paying someone else to do it. So there is a lot of incentive to get the number right the first time.

Rather than try to find ways around this particular boating expense, just do it correctly and get the Ship's Station license (SA license), requesting an MMSI as part of the application. And get your own radio operators license (RR license) at the same time. You will need the MMSI before you buy your AIS since the dealer has to program it before shipping.
One comment. Neither Vesper (pre-Garmin) nor Standard Horizon required an MMSI prior to shipment. Both have the ability for user programming one time. Other manufacturers may do this differently.

Regardless, you still only want to do this once as later change is complicated at best.

I have the opposite opinion. I've been using a Boat US MMSI number since 2005 and have never had a problem. I've even had long conversations with Victoria Coast Guard on VHF while responding to one of their calls for assistance. No one has ever asked about a license. Even though Canada won't have all your information they will still have your GPS co-ordinates if you ever have a problem and have to press that distress button. (by the way, press it for at least three seconds or it won't work)

I never said you would get cited for not having the correct MMSI. I said that your information won’t be in the Canadian data base. I did SAR for the CG for 30 years and always wanted as much information as possible when we were looking for someone. You are certainly able to do whatever you choose, but me if they are searching for my boat, I want them to have as much information as possible.

One comment. Neither Vesper (pre-Garmin) nor Standard Horizon required an MMSI prior to shipment. Both have the ability for user programming one time. Other manufacturers may do this differently.

Regardless, you still only want to do this once as later change is complicated at best.

For their AIS devices? VHF can be user programmed, but not AIS. Doesn’t mean people don’t skirt around it.

AIS can be user programmed, sort of, sometimes. See my post above about West Marine emailing me a little computer subroutine. No shipping back and forth necessary.

I admit that I am a a believer in compliance, but Comodave makes the argument very clearly. If I were truly in a jam, I would like to think that the Canadian coasties had a good idea of the boat they were looking for. Also, their ability to contact relatives ashore could add helpful information. This is cheap in the overall scheme of things and the situation in which it may be important will be very serious indeed.

MNSI # for travel outside of the US waters.

US registered or documented \vessels traveling in waters outside of the US are required to register your VHF with an MNSI #.
Contact the FCC;
www.fcc.gov/wireless/universal-licensing-system.
There is also 877-480-3201. A direct line to the FCC office. The personnel are very helpful

Well, first off you will need a Restricted Radio Operators Permit to use the radio when out of the country. You also need a radio station license for the boat to operate your radio out of the country, when you apply for this you automatically get an FCC MMSI number. Neither one of these is expensive, someone said it costs $200, that is not true.
Surf the FCC.gov website and you will find these.

Save yourself the cost of getting your own MMSI. Search around and pick a boat with the same name and just use their MMSI. EASY PEASY. Just kidding. But that is what a boat in the Dana Point marina did. Tried contacting the owner but crickets. FCC and USCG can’t do anything.

Well, first off you will need a Restricted Radio Operators Permit to use the radio when out of the country. You also need a radio station license for the boat to operate your radio out of the country, when you apply for this you automatically get an FCC MMSI number. Neither one of these is expensive, someone said it costs $200, that is not true.
Surf the FCC.gov website and you will find these.

We can't speak for anyone else, but when we got our vessel radio station license, and switched over out MMSI from the previous owners, the fee was indeed $200.00!

Another boating MYTH. A free BoatUS MMSI will not work in Canada - absolutely FALSE.

Yes, to comply with all aspects of being legal you should a have a ships station license and a federally issued MMSI number.

If you activate your BoatUS issued number on a DSC enabled device like a VHF radio, it will work if properly registered and connected to a GPS device. Period. It will require one extra step for the receiving agency to verify owner information if necessary, but emergency info including location does get transmitted.

Another boating MYTH. A free BoatUS MMSI will not work in Canada - absolutely FALSE.

Yes, to comply with all aspects of being legal you should a have a ships station license and a federally issued MMSI number.

If you activate your BoatUS issued number on a DSC enabled device like a VHF radio, it will work if properly registered and connected to a GPS device. Period. It will require one extra step for the receiving agency to verify owner information if necessary, but emergency info including location does get transmitted.

If you read the thread you will see that no one has suggested that a Boat US MMSI number “will not work” in Canada. There is more to it than sending and receiving a signal. Almost the entire thread is a discussion of the details, with the general consensus to know the limitations and then do what you want. Sounds like your mind is made up, so probably no point in reading it now.

Yes, my mind is made up. As stated in my first post, "Yes, to comply with all aspects of being legal you should a have a ships station license and a federally issued MMSI number."

Back
Top Bottom