Maintaining a painted boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
A candidate boat had some hull damage in Hurricane Sandy. No structural damage but a couple other boats laid against it for a two days. The repair place couldn't perfectly match the original gelcoat color... so the owner's insurance company paid to have the hull painted. The owner paid to have the topsides/bridge (including inside the bridge area) painted to match. Work done in 2013.

What does normal maintenance look like on a painted boat? More than just wash and wax? Any periodic "something else" that needs doing?

What's the fix in case of minor damage? Does it work to just repaint the boo-boo?

What if there's some significant damage, a more major hose-up?

Does it all need to be redone every X years?

And what other questions do I not know enough about to ask?

-Chris

Hi, Chris. Be sure to find out what the brand the paint is so you can do a little research on it. I have owned a wooden Grad Banks and now this Mainship with painted hull. I began using Awlgrip on the GB from 1990 through 2015 and never had any complaints with it. I was always repainting some portion of the boat for a multitude of reasons, but the hull was always done in one session, probably about every seven years. Topsides were easy because it divided easily into sections. With the right mix and a foam roller, I could make it look sprayed, and the boat was usually mistaken for one of its gel-coated fiberglass sisters. With the individual strakes only a few inches wide and separated by beveled joints, the job of repainting the hull after several days of preparation, I could apply a coat of paint in 45 minutes per side. I am not sure I could have done nearly so well on a large continuously flat area like the hull of my Mainship. The Awlgrip could not be patched completely seamlessly like the Awlcraft on my Mainship in part because of my probable lack of skills in that area of endeavor. I recently posted here about some hull paint repair I had done on the Frolic's red Awlcraft by a professional with all the right gear and knowledge. It was truly a wonder to watch him work his magic blending on a good sized area on the bow which had been taken down to the primer and buffing out some Hurricane Michael scratches. Cost me 2 boat units. With my boat under its boat shed most of the time and hosed off after every outing and semi-annual cleaning with Awlwash followed by an application of wipe-on/wipe-off Awlcare, I expect the hull paint to last indefinitely.

A candidate boat had some hull damage in Hurricane Sandy. No structural damage but a couple other boats laid against it for a two days. The repair place couldn't perfectly match the original gelcoat color... so the owner's insurance company paid to have the hull painted. The owner paid to have the topsides/bridge (including inside the bridge area) painted to match. Work done in 2013.

What does normal maintenance look like on a painted boat? More than just wash and wax? Any periodic "something else" that needs doing?

What's the fix in case of minor damage? Does it work to just repaint the boo-boo?

What if there's some significant damage, a more major hose-up?

Does it all need to be redone every X years?

And what other questions do I not know enough about to ask?

-Chris

Well it depends.....

First question is what paint did they use? Good paint waxed once or twice a year can last 15 to 20 years. Paint without wax can look like crap in 5 to 10 years. Find out what paint and if it's been waxed every year.

To maintain good paint, get the salt, dirt, and bird poop off the waxed paint. It's harder to do without a waxed surface and the UV will degrade the unwaxed paint faster.

Repairing a spot depends on the paint type as some can't be compounded to blend. Also depends on the painter. Some can do an amazing job of blending without a tape line. A million dollar boat gets a section or a side done. It all depends on how close you want the boat to look perfect.

The Awlgrip on my charter boat still looks good at 15+ years. I wouldn't expect much more than that for a boat stored outside.

Ask:
What brand and specific paint was used?
Who did the job? Check their reputation.
How often is it waxed?
Has this boat been exposed to the Florida sun for 7 years?

Ted

Awlgrip & Awlcraft recommend against wax and recommend their polymer sealer. I have used the Awlcare polymer and like it. EZ on/off and it goes a long way so $ not all that different than other choices.
I have also done spot repair of Awlcraft and it may hed very well.

Awlgrip & Awlcraft recommend against wax and recommend their polymer sealer. I have used the Awlcare polymer and like it. EZ on/off and it goes a long way so $ not all that different than other choices.
I have also done spot repair of Awlcraft and it may hed very well.

Ditto for Imron and other two parts. No wax! I used Rejex as the sealant (see below), as mentioned there are others. Really didn't need to use anything but freshwater to wash it, then a chamois mop if I felt like it. Awlwash is a good soap if you are so compelled. A lot of people don't bother with the sealant and that's OK too, it just adds a little more depth of luster to the look and makes the boat a little easier to clean.

As the almost 20 year old paint job faded a little, we had a detailer use a light glaze, Finesse-It II, followed by Rejex. Stayed looking great for at least another 5 years that I know of, including a Rejex touch up every 2 years or so.
Boat was used heavily year around in salt water. A side benefit was the "mustache" formed by "blackwater" tannin-affected cruising areas washed right off with water and a soft brush, or just by cruising out in the ocean.

Of course, it all depends on how well the paint job was done in the first place, and maybe painted-over gelcoat is a different animal life-span wise.

It depends on what kind of paint it is. If it’s Imron, you can make that stuff still shine after 30 years. I polished mine once a year with 3M’s Finesse-It. I never put wax on it. I think a painted boat is way less maintenance than a gelcoated one.

Awlgrip has its own version of polish and I believe they, too, say never to wax it. Imron will last longer than Alwgrip, and Alwgrip will last longer than Interlux.

If you ever do have to repaint, Imron needs to be sprayed. The others can either be sprayed or rolled & tipped. Imron will cost a fortune, but it is the best.

Good paint is more flexible than gel coat so fewer stress cracks will show.

If the boat will be cruised hard , damage from docking ,anchoring, rafting and floating debris will happen.

With roll & tip the painted boat can look like new in a couple of days for low bucks.

The best finish for cruising seems to be the French with aluminum hulls.

They simply buff the hull for a new looking surface.

Thanks, all, very much. I think I understand now what I have to ask about, and what the answers will mean... if we pursue that one any further. As it happens, they have a second showing this weekend... so it may become moot.

Of course, it all depends on how well the paint job was done in the first place, and maybe painted-over gelcoat is a different animal life-span wise.

Ummm... what would have been painted over if NOT gelcoat? IOW, don't all fiberglass boats have gelcoat on the outside, where painted over or not?

-Chris

"Ummm... what would have been painted over if NOT gelcoat? IOW, don't all fiberglass boats have gelcoat on the outside, where painted over or not?"

NO! Many custom or semi custom boats prefer no gel coat as the finish can be better with paint .Modern infused resin techniques for hull creation do not usually get anything but paint.

"Ummm... what would have been painted over if NOT gelcoat? IOW, don't all fiberglass boats have gelcoat on the outside, where painted over or not?"

NO! Many custom or semi custom boats prefer no gel coat as the finish can be better with paint .Modern infused resin techniques for hull creation do not usually get anything but paint.

So it's just a smooth resin layer on the outside, when the hull comes out of the mould? I guess I was picturing layup with a rough, unfinished, surface unless gelcoat was the first thing into the mould.

??

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom